Corsair Community

Strafe keyboard freezes steam when connecting controller

Gabberwaus

Dear Reader,

When I connect my Xbox One Controller (Wired or Wireless doesn't matter) my Steam just freezes completely. The way to unfreeze it instantly is to pull out the USB for my Strafe RGB Silent keyboard and then I can use my controller normally. As soon as I plug the keyboard back in, Steam will freeze back up again.

I'm not the only one having this problem as I already posted on both Steam and Reddit getting responses from people having the same problem.

There aren't many of us, but I really hope we can address this problem and fix it. I'll be happy to provide any type of data to help anyone interested in fixing this problem.

Kind regards,

Joost

I've exctly the same issue with my strafe RGB, when I plug or unplug something usb like my mouse, headset, game controller, my steam freezes and i've to unplug keyboard for it to unfreeze. Nothing other than keyboard'unplug can unfreeze it.

It occurs even if CUE is off.

Please fix it

• 1 month later...
I'm having the exact same problem with my new K70 Lux RGB. This is clearly a Corsair problem and not a Steam problem. One way to remedy this is to unplug the keyboard and it works just fine. It appears to be causing some sort of USB conflict. Really need Corsair to do something about this.

• Corsair Employee
I'm having the exact same problem with my new K70 Lux RGB. This is clearly a Corsair problem and not a Steam problem. One way to remedy this is to unplug the keyboard and it works just fine. It appears to be causing some sort of USB conflict. Really need Corsair to do something about this.

I don't see how you determine its a Corsair problem without a full analysis.

For example: https://www.google.com/search?q=Steam+crash+controller&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS741US741&oq=Steam+crash+controller&aqs=chrome..69i57.2785j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Its quite rampant and like I stated in a previous thread, all of these revolved around the same time Steam did an update to how they detect certain controllers (like the Sony Dualshocks).

CUE may or may not exasperate the problem, but the source of the issue isn't so easily identifiable because most users don't exhibit this issue. We will do what we can to investigate this but without seeing it for ourselves, we can't fix it. Someone mentioned a Steam engineer but has not provided a channel to me for communication to dig deeper.

Then please do what you can to have a full analysis done. Plenty of information has been given in a number of threads by users in this forum on how to reproduce this. The one constant in fixing the issue is unplugging the keyboard or completely uninstalling CUE (and the Corsair Composite Virtual Input device driver) and then the issue completely goes away.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with K65 RGB keyboard. I have swapped out several other keyboards and it only happens with this one. I even ran it with the CUE software uninstalled and had the same problem. Whenever I connect a controller, Steam crashes or hangs for a very long time on bootstrapper error. If I disconnect the Corsair keyboard, the problem stops.

It's frustrating that I sprung for an overpriced keyboard expecting a certain level of quality and I'm stuck using a cheap Microsoft keyboard while the K65 sits collecting dust because it's not compatible with Steam. Even more frustrating that Corsiar can't reproduce the problem that is obviously affecting many users.

Since it's too late for me to return this thing to Amazon, what options does Corsair offer to fix this type of situation for customers?

Easily reproduced with the K70 LUX RGB for me. Affects both Steam and non-Steam controllers (i.e. XBOX 360) both wired and wireless modes.

It is easy to see the stack is overworked.

On a side note I don't think Corsair James really looked at his search in depth. A lot of the users have Corsair Keyboards in the search results and many of the hits reference the keyboard recommended being unplugged.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

soooooooooooo, this has been a huge problem for me. two years strong now as well.

i today have finally solved my issues. unfortunately i am certain you need multiple hard drives. I use a dedicated drive for OS. steam, corsair ect. on the other drives. at the start of it steam and CUE were on the same drive together (not the OS drive). This is where the problem was. with steam started, plug controller in. steam freezes with any game launched for roughly 3-5 mins. after that it would work fine, unless the controller or anything else died or got unplugged. Any ways, to fix this problem -

1. have more than one drive

2. install steam to a more general use drive(non OS)

3. install CUE to the same drive as the OS.

i know its a simple, some what pain in the♥♥♥♥♥fix. possibly steam and cue are fighting for priority accessing drivers, idk. i can confirm no freezing issue since. first tested by ripping the batt out of the controller for the most abrupt driver changes. everything worked fine. cheers!

• Corsair Employee

@rawkee

Just responded to the link you provided with our findings. Hopefully this will shed some light on the issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...=167509&page=5

Got an update for everyone on this issue. As James has stated before, and I want to re-affirm that we have reached out to Valve when the issue popped up, and went as far as to send them products so they could perform their own in-house testing to speed up the trouble shooting process. Unfortunately we haven't received any responses to requests for updates.

What we have found through our own rigorous testing is that Steam will continuously poll all USB devices looking for controllers once you start the program. This causes HID devices to get confused as to which program takes priority and which to respond to, and will cause hangs or crashes with either Steam or CUE. If a fix is possible through CUE, we will provide it once available.

Archived