Corsair Community

question: sequential effect for 8 rgb fans

jjzeng21

what I have:

6 x 120mm QL Rgb fans

2 x 120mm LL Rgb fans (come with H100i SE AIO)

1 x Lighting Node Core

1 x Commander Pro

My setup:

1. I connect 6 QL fans to Lighting Node Core, I connect the 2.0 usb header from the node core to Commander Pro.

2. I connect 2 LL fans rgb header and fan control header derectly to the AIO pump, and connect 2.0 usb header from the pump to Commander Pro

I test that out, I cannot get those 2 LL fans to have sequential lighting effect with the 6 QL fans.

And after I did some research, I found out that I need to add another node core (connect to motherboard) or lighting hub (connect to Commander Pro) for my 2 LL fans. So, I added another node core for my LL fans. However, I still cannot get sequential effect.

My question:

1. is there any way that I can get sequential effect like pong for my 8 fans.

2. If there is no way to have sequential lighting effect for more than 6 fans, does that mean it is the same that either I connect my 2 LL fans to pump or I connect them to a second node core.

3. any advantage if I connect 2 LL fans to a second node core.

I appreciate if anyone can help me here, thx

Edited by jjzeng21

The answer is no for all three questions. Fan patterns and timings are on a per device basis. So 1 x Node Core, Node Pro, Commander Pro, or Platinum Cooler is "1 device" and that is going to be the limiting factor in most things. You will need two devices for 8 fans, no matter how you split. The split is the key to getting things the way you want, whether than is 6+2, 4+4, 5+3 or whatever makes sense for the case layout/orientation.

There are a few "Lighting Link" patterns that will run sequentially through all devices, but the order of the devices may change with certain effects. Regardless, that can be used to help in some instances by adding the whole system lighting link, then "hiding it" for other devices besides the RGB fan controllers. That effectively sequences the pattern for fans only. You also can program waves and ripples to act sequentially, but that is much more difficult and requires a fair bit of trial and error to get your timings done. It is not an easy task and will be system set-up dependent.

Some effects will be difficult to sequence or are unavailable through lighting link. I'll use Pong as the example. No lighting link. Limited to 1 device. Thus, if you really want to use this the 6 fans on the LNP or LNC need to be "the Pong fans" and that likely means running them across the top. Rather than physically moving fans, you move the connections between the RGB Hub (LNP) or LNC ports to make this work. You didn't list a case. If this were a 680x, you would put the 3 front, 2 top, and 1 rear on the LNC. Put the two LL fans on the bottom, but leave their lighting wires connected to the H100i Plat. That makes them their own lighting circuit. No it is doubtful you have the case set up this way and the LL are likely on the radiator up top. Perhaps it is more interesting to have the pattern go across the bottom where you can see it, but no matter what you are going to have a very difficult time integrating 6 QL fans with 2 LL fans. They have different presets and capabilities. It will be better to keep them on separate devices.

• 2 weeks later...
The answer is no for all three questions. Fan patterns and timings are on a per device basis. So 1 x Node Core, Node Pro, Commander Pro, or Platinum Cooler is "1 device" and that is going to be the limiting factor in most things. You will need two devices for 8 fans, no matter how you split. The split is the key to getting things the way you want, whether than is 6+2, 4+4, 5+3 or whatever makes sense for the case layout/orientation.

There are a few "Lighting Link" patterns that will run sequentially through all devices, but the order of the devices may change with certain effects. Regardless, that can be used to help in some instances by adding the whole system lighting link, then "hiding it" for other devices besides the RGB fan controllers. That effectively sequences the pattern for fans only. You also can program waves and ripples to act sequentially, but that is much more difficult and requires a fair bit of trial and error to get your timings done. It is not an easy task and will be system set-up dependent.

Some effects will be difficult to sequence or are unavailable through lighting link. I'll use Pong as the example. No lighting link. Limited to 1 device. Thus, if you really want to use this the 6 fans on the LNP or LNC need to be "the Pong fans" and that likely means running them across the top. Rather than physically moving fans, you move the connections between the RGB Hub (LNP) or LNC ports to make this work. You didn't list a case. If this were a 680x, you would put the 3 front, 2 top, and 1 rear on the LNC. Put the two LL fans on the bottom, but leave their lighting wires connected to the H100i Plat. That makes them their own lighting circuit. No it is doubtful you have the case set up this way and the LL are likely on the radiator up top. Perhaps it is more interesting to have the pattern go across the bottom where you can see it, but no matter what you are going to have a very difficult time integrating 6 QL fans with 2 LL fans. They have different presets and capabilities. It will be better to keep them on separate devices.

thank you for your help, then I just dont bother to buy another LNC, I just connect the 2 LL fans to my AIO h100i. thx again.