Corsair Community

RM 850i with RTX 3080

cprn

Hi,

My question is about the PCI-e express cable and if can it support a constant pull of 300 W?

This new video card uses about 70 watts from the PCI-express slot and 2 x 150 W from each 8 pin, is it safe to connect it with a single daisy-chained cable, or do I have to use two separate cables?

The PCI-e cables that come with the PSU are very big and do not bend at the end which will cause a mess in my PC case if I need to use two of them.

Hi,

My question is about the PCI-e express cable and if can it support a constant pull of 300 W?

This new video card uses about 70 watts from the PCI-express slot and 2 x 150 W from each 8 pin, is it safe to connect it with a single daisy-chained cable, or do I have to use two separate cables?

The PCI-e cables that come with the PSU are very big and do not bend at the end which will cause a mess in my PC case if I need to use two of them.

I asked the same question a while ago (in a bit different flavor), and the answer I got was: "If the cables are included with the PSU, they are rated for that, but you might lose some voltage that affects the OC."

I myself don't have especially thick cables, but have 2x GPU setup and overall don't prefer to overly "wire-clutter" that area of the case if not needed.

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=200109

EDIT: What you REALLY DO NOT DO, is to get custom adapter to turn into sub-rated smaller cable (like 6 connector one) to output that 8 connector watts. There are images of melted adapters, which is likely outcome. So rely on your PSU's cabling, its a standard after all.

Edited by Kallex

• Corsair Employee
It is an AIB card, Gigabyte gaming OC and has a power limit of 370 W according to its BIOS.

Ok. Then the card has three 8-pin connectors. So you can use one pigtail cable (the one with two PCIe) and a second PCIe. Three 8-pins for that card is actually overkill. I think they made it like that to force users to use a least two cables.