Corsair Community

Introducing CORSAIR CX-F RGB Series PSUs (550W, 650W, 750W)

• Corsair Employee

[ame]

[/ame]

Hey everyone,

As you may all know, we recently released RGB PSUs – the CX-F RGB Series. Aside from providing enthusiasts with a reliable and steady power source for their treasured builds, this new series of PSUs heightens personalization with luminescent color. Here’s a few quick highlights:

• 120mm RGB fan which features eight individually addressable RGB LEDs

• iCUE & motherboard ARGB compatibility for advanced RGB lighting control

• 105°C Rated Japanese Primary Capacitors for a consistent, reliable stream of power fed to your PC build

Click the following for more information: CX-F RGB Black (750W, 650W, 550W), CX-F RGB White (750W, 650W, 550W). We’ve put together a quick FAQ below.

Q: Is this PSU compatible with the RTX 30 Series?

A: If you do not have any power hungry devices or intention to overclock, then yes the 650W (RTX 3070) and 750W (RTX 3080/3090) should be compatible. If you are the contrary, then we can only recommend the 750W with a RTX 3070 as it provides the necessary wattage headroom for power hungry devices and overclocking.

Q: Is there a lighting controller included?

A: No, there is not any lighting controller included.

Q: Does this PSU come with sleeved cables?

A: Only the ATX 24-pin is sleeved. If you prefer individually sleeved cables, then check them out here.

Q: How much more FPS will I get with this RGB PSU?

A: Yes.

Let us know if you guys have any more questions or want to share any thoughts!

• Corsair Employee
Something tells me that Corsair is going to introduce more series of RGB enabled power supplies down the road.

Well... that's not too far fetched. The bulk of the engineering was having a proper PSU fan that had RGB. Unlike Thermaltake, Corsair doesn't just slap a case fan in a PSU and expect it to work properly. :D :D :D

• Corsair Employee
interesting point actually ^^

What are the main differences between the two? People see +12V and PWM and assume they are just .. PC fans.

So, you know how Corsair has "SP" (Static Pressure) fans for radiators and "AF" fans for free air? It's like that, where you have to have a fan blade design that's optimized for the tight spaces inside a PSU without having to run at super high RPMs.

And then there's fan balance requirements. Corsair has a tighter tolerance for PSU fans than case fans because if the PSU fan is out of balance, the customer has to return the whole PSU. If a case fan is out of balance, the customer can just replace the fan. And I'm not just bragging about better QC on PSUs because I'm the "PSU Guy". The engineer that does the QC for PSU fans ALSO is the QC guy for case fans and he uses two different formulas for determining balance tolerances.

And then you have the problem of the customer having no control over the fan's RPM. At lower voltage/RPM, you might get a slight "bzz, bzz, bzz" as the windings get energized. If a fan motor is noisy at lower RPM in a case, the customer can just turn the RPM up a little bit to get it out of that power range. Can't do that in a PSU. So we have to use an improved driver IC that has a smoother sine wave so it produces less noise at lower voltages/RPMs.

And then of course, the whole RGB thing. The fan is not manufactured by any of the factories that make Corsair's current RGB fan offerings. So a lot had to go into making sure the lighting patterns matched existing patterns (color, brightness, etc.) and would synchronize perfectly with those other RGB devices. If you're just 2ms off, that 2ms becomes a complete mess after a minute of not being in sync.

So, you know how Corsair has "SP" (Static Pressure) fans for radiators and "AF" fans for free air? It's like that, where you have to have a fan blade design that's optimized for the tight spaces inside a PSU without having to run at super high RPMs.

And then there's fan balance requirements. Corsair has a tighter tolerance for PSU fans than case fans because if the PSU fan is out of balance, the customer has to return the whole PSU. If a case fan is out of balance, the customer can just replace the fan. And I'm not just bragging about better QC on PSUs because I'm the "PSU Guy". The engineer that does the QC for PSU fans ALSO is the QC guy for case fans and he uses two different formulas for determining balance tolerances.

And then you have the problem of the customer having no control over the fan's RPM. At lower voltage/RPM, you might get a slight "bzz, bzz, bzz" as the windings get energized. If a fan motor is noisy at lower RPM in a case, the customer can just turn the RPM up a little bit to get it out of that power range. Can't do that in a PSU. So we have to use an improved driver IC that has a smoother sine wave so it produces less noise at lower voltages/RPMs.

And then of course, the whole RGB thing. The fan is not manufactured by any of the factories that make Corsair's current RGB fan offerings. So a lot had to go into making sure the lighting patterns matched existing patterns (color, brightness, etc.) and would synchronize perfectly with those other RGB devices. If you're just 2ms off, that 2ms becomes a complete mess after a minute of not being in sync.

I wasnt sure where this was Zotty's territory or yours but this reply was fairly detailed and so im asking here,

Regarding this Fan, could you confirm the LED Spec? ie is it based on an SP or ML ect?

I know there is alot of discussion about not mixings fans (LED's more specifically) so I'd like to know if it will be compatible with my current set up or not,

Right now I have:

2 X ML140 (intake)

1 X ML120 (exhaust)

2 X ML120 (AIO)

so I have 5 fans all the same series in to one RGB Hub,

My CX750f RGB PSU arrived today and would like to know if I can use the same RGB Hub or not?

• Corsair Employee
I wasnt sure where this was Zotty's territory or yours but this reply was fairly detailed and so im asking here,

Regarding this Fan, could you confirm the LED Spec? ie is it based on an SP or ML ect?

Not sure what you mean by this?

Answer: None.

Please read my post. I believe I answered the question.

The LEDs are programmed to sync with all other Corsair RGB products. While SP, ML, and CX-F fans all come from different manufacturers, the programming of the RGB controller should allow them to all sync regardless.

Not sure what you mean by this?

Answer: None.

Please read my post. I believe I answered the question.

The LEDs are programmed to sync with all other Corsair RGB products. While SP, ML, and CX-F fans all come from different manufacturers, the programming of the RGB controller should allow them to all sync regardless.

I read your post, my question isnt on blade/fan design its more around the LED's used and their compatibility with my other fans, you stated "would synchronize perfectly with those other RGB devices" first time round I read that comments as colour appearance, perhaps thats where you think you awnser this question?

See below Quotes that might help explain my concerns and reason for questioning it

The SP-RGB fans use a different type of LED and, thus, have a different data protocol for controlling them. They use UCS1903 LEDs while everything else use WS2812B. So the bits put on the wire are different for the different LEDs.

Note that this only applies to the original SP-RGB. The SP-PRO use WS2812B like everything else.

Mixing SP and non SP? On a single fan hub?

Seriously - that will not work. Like ... at all. Not temporarily. Not permanently.

(Taken from an old thread I came across while researching : https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190778)

That last one is what makes me nervous of plugging it in to the same hub, I know there is other options ie Mobo control, as a work around to avoid any potential issue but ideally I want them all in ICUE

Edited by Tedward5

DevBiker is completely wrong.

It is true that LEDs are sourced from different companies, but they are all made to work together harmoniously. Otherwise, what would be the point?

Perhaps its a legacy thing? I agree it would be pointless to need various hubs for mixed fans, but im not the one selling the hubs :laughing:,

I like your awnser but Im not fully convinced its that simple, straight snip from the CX-F RGB manual

For iCUE control

1. Plug iCUE RGB cable into the PSU.

2. Plug other end of cable into a compatible

CORSAIR RGB Lighting Controller’s

(Commander PRO or Lighting Node PRO) 6-port

RGB hub.

3. Select SP RGB PRO/CX-F Series PSU in the

Lighting Setup tab.

Note: The 6-port hub requires devices to be plugged

in sequentially, and all fans plugged into the hub

must be of the same type or you may experience

lighting issues.

I guess the question now is, what is the point in that note if they are all harmonious?

• Corsair Employee

I guess the question now is, what is the point in that note if they are all harmonious?

To confuse customers.

ALL of Corsair's RGB hardware has this blurb in the docs. It's a disclaimer more than anything. When the fans are all attached to the same hub, there's no differentiating which fan is on which port. It just shows up as "Channel 1", "Channel 2", etc.

Every fan has a different number of LEDs.

If you select Lighting Channel 1 with LLs, it thinks you can have up to 6 LL fans, which is 96 LEDs. Whereas, if you have 4 LL and 2 SP RGB Pro, it's only 80 LED's. So, if you're using an effect like Visor, the sweeping illumination would disappear for a good few seconds, then come back because it's trying to light LEDs that aren't there.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

As you may all know, we recently released RGB PSUs – the CX-F RGB Series. Aside from providing enthusiasts with a reliable and steady power source for their treasured builds, this new series of PSUs heightens personalization with luminescent color. Here’s a few quick highlights:

• 120mm RGB fan which features eight individually addressable RGB LEDs

• iCUE & motherboard ARGB compatibility for advanced RGB lighting control

• 105°C Rated Japanese Primary Capacitors for a consistent, reliable stream of power fed to your PC build

Click the following for more information: CX-F RGB Black (750W, 650W, 550W), CX-F RGB White (750W, 650W, 550W). We’ve put together a quick FAQ below.

Q: Is this PSU compatible with the RTX 30 Series?

A: If you do not have any power hungry devices or intention to overclock, then yes the 650W (RTX 3070) and 750W (RTX 3080/3090) should be compatible. If you are the contrary, then we can only recommend the 750W with a RTX 3070 as it provides the necessary wattage headroom for power hungry devices and overclocking.

Q: Is there a lighting controller included?

A: No, there is not any lighting controller included.

Q: Does this PSU come with sleeved cables?

A: Only the ATX 24-pin is sleeved. If you prefer individually sleeved cables, then check them out here.

Q: How much more FPS will I get with this RGB PSU?

A: Yes.

Let us know if you guys have any more questions or want to share any thoughts!

How many years have the warranty?

Edited by evita