Corsair Community

AX750 2xpci-e cables + EPS12V CPU cable

No_Fear

hello

with the new 3080 was looking how to connect the 3 pci-e connectors those cards have ,on my psu since it can have 4 pcie connectors from the 2 double cables i have ,but i noticed the only option i have to install the second cable is in the place of the 2nd EPS12V CPU Cable (my board need 2)

do i miss something cant i have both 2x pci-e cables and 2xEPS12V CPU Cable in this PSU ?

pcie.jpg

5e6RDdFxnZ0pNsGK_500.jpg

Edited by No_Fear

from a bit search i can see that the solution will be to create a hybrid cable

i need 3x pcie power cables and 3x 4 Pin +12 Volt Power Cable Connectors

i have 2 extra cables (1 with 2 pcie power and 1 with 2x4 +12v both connect to the 12 port plug on the PSU)of those from an RMA PSU so i removed from each one the double cable that i dont need .

In the 12 pin slot of the power supply i have to create a cable that will give me :

8pin-pcie-pinout.jpg

+

4-4.jpg

are the pins 7,8,9,10,11,12 +12v (red color)

pinout.jpg

and the rest ground ?

Edited by No_Fear

it might have 1 week or 10 years life nobody can tell ,i have this PSU in a pc that is turned on 3-4 hours per day at most ,so i assume has more life than machines runing 24h,the reason i always buy corsair PSUs on all pcs i make its because live LONG...

anyway i measured the voltage on all pins to be sure ,did the mod,everything works fine .

now i can have 3x power pcie and 3x 4pin 12v motherboard pins.

Edited by No_Fear

Buy a new PSU.

As a general rule of thumb, it's a good idea to replace a PSU when the warranty runs out.

If you can afford a 3080, you can afford a new 850W PSU. The reason I say 850W is because you get tons of the sockets and cables you need.

Making hybrid cables for the sake of saving a few $$ sounds like bad idea when you are gambling with a new card that cost so much.

Don't be angry. Just my humble opinion.

The same thing popped up in another post about the age of PSUs :

It's not a matter of "1000W being enough". It's a matter of the age of the unit. Just because a PSU "works" doesn't mean it's working as well as it did new.

Old electrolytic capacitors, especially after several thermal cycles, will suffer from a decrease in capacitance and an increase in ESR. This diminishes its ability to properly filter ripple. So while the PSU may be output correct voltages, those voltages may not be as well filtered as they were 10 years ago and could potentially damage components down stream.

Yes, better play it safe.. a multimeter can't measure voltage ripple, and if it's too high, it will drive every VRM in your computer completely bonkers, or fry them with time.

If you play with overclocking, you are pretty much certain to get higher stable clocks with a new PSU

• Corsair Employee
it might have 1 week or 10 years life nobody can tell

People can tell because that PSU hasn't been manufactured in over 10 years.

Also, heat cycles and shelf life have even more impact on capacitors than 24/7 use. In other words: A PSU in constant use is going to have caps closer to spec than one that's rarely used.

all opinions are welcome ,no reason to be angry ,yes my future plan is to go with a AX850 when i can affort it

Pro tip: The HX850 or HX850i would actually be a better option; sans efficiency, of course.

The AXi and HX1 are very efficient which make them easy on the power bill longer term.

The new RM (white label) are 80 plus gold which is not bad. This model replaced the old one from a decade ago. The new RM come with a 10 year warranty which is all the more reason to modernize.

Motherboards with an 8-pin EPS12V and 4-pin ATX12V can make do fine with only the EPS12V cable installed. The TRX4 motherboards have dual EPS12V to handle higher power requirements. Servers tend to need several EPS12V as well as some CPUs are close to 400W.

Edited by Vegan

• Corsair Employee
thanks for your comments ,i prefer to buy the top of the line so it will be AX or HX ,AX850 is not in corsair website i guess is no more in production.

Corsair AX850 is right here: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/Power-Supply-Units-Advanced/AX-Series%E2%84%A2-80-PLUS-Titanium-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020151-NA

And keep in mind that efficiency is not a gauge of quality. Efficiency is just.. efficiency. The HX is very much a better PSU.