Corsair Community

new H100i Capellix and Icue causing hard reboot

sireric1967

Hi.

Just replaced an H80i v2 with an H100i Capellix. However, when Icue starts (latest version), it immediately reports that the H100i needs firmware update. But then, the computer does a hard reboot.

If I don't start iCue, everything is good. I've tried 2 different USB ports for the H100i. I've also completely uninstalled Icue (and deleted all files using Revo Uninstaller), and re-installed.

But everytime I start iCue, it reboots the PC within 5 seconds.

Any advice? H100i seems to be working fine otherwise.

Thanks!!

• Corsair Employee
Hello, what does the cooler do exactly? Does the PC immediately reset once you start the FW update? What about the fans? Are they ramping up or staying the same speed? Usually, they'll ramp up during the update but will spin back down once it's finished.

Hello, what does the cooler do exactly? Does the PC immediately reset once you start the FW update? What about the fans? Are they ramping up or staying the same speed? Usually, they'll ramp up during the update but will spin back down once it's finished.

The fans on the radiator never seem to change. They are both running. The PC reboots within a few seconds of starting iCue. Whether I start the firmware update or not, within 5-7 seconds, the computer hard reboots.

Just an additional note. If I do a CPU benchmark test (using Intel ExTU), then I do hear the fans ramp up/down. I see up to 75c during heavy testing on the CPU. Idles around 30C. So seems ok, with the default fan curve.

But still can't start icue without hard crashing the PC. And can't update firmware either.

Note2: Installed Corsair icue 3.20.80. Seems to work without a crash, however it only sees my old command Pro and Vengeance RGB Pro. It does not see the H100i or my Corsair mouse anymore. This is quite frustrating. I've asked Amazon for a replacement H100i unit -- presumably I have bad HW.

Edited by sireric1967

update: A new H100i Capellix was installed. Same problem!! After I start iCue, within 5-10 seconds, the computer does a hard crash (i.e. power down). Nothing in the event log from before the crash. No clue what could be causing this.

I completely uninstalled the old Icue, deleted all corsair directories and registry entries. Still crashing.

Very disappointing. May have to change brands of CPU cooler completely.

I think you are looking for a base level hardware problem. No cooler or software is going to create a hard shut down. Software will blue screen. Cooler failure will give you the temp warning and gradual shutdown. Presumably your CPU temps are not escalating through the BIOS is rapid chunks.

Typically the hard shutdown is going to be a PSU or MB power problem. Your old cooler was MB powered, but the Elite and most newer coolers are SATA powered. I would check to make sure those connections are secure and the PSU isn't protecting the system because of a short.

That's an astute observation. I went over all the Sata and peripheral connections and they seem good. I still switched the sata power for the commander to another sata power cable. I also switched the USB2 socket that the commander is using. The PSU is 850w Corsair (~1 year old), with i9-9900x and RTX 3080 as the main current sinks.

The H100i EC is working -- it revs up fans with CPU activity, with an idle temp of 31C, and max temp of 70-75C under full loads. RGB fans are running, going up and down on loading. So it's not a consistent power issue. The FAN rpm reported is good. I've played games and everything -- all is good.

It's really when Icue starts up. It identifies all corsair components, then it generally offers to update the firmware on the H100i. Then it causes a hard shutdown a few seconds later. From starting up icue to hard crash is around 10-15 seconds. Never updated the firmware, I believe (it's started, but never finished). It's pretty consistent, though time to failure does seem to vary from ~7 seconds, to as much as 20 or 30 seconds. Hard crash shows my second display going black, the computer freezes, then hard shutdown. No logs about the shutdown cause in the adminstrative logs.

I believe it to be some sort of power short. Basically, when icue tries to talk to the device, either to download firmware or to set settings (?), but not to get basic ID, it causes a short and the computer hard shuts down. Never seen this before, except when I had a 650w PSU and heavily loaded games with RTX 2080i and overclocked i7 a year ago. I would of suspected the new commander, or a USB port issue. But trying different USB ports makes no diff, and tried 2 commanders.

At this point, not sure what else to try. I may return both of these H100i's, and go with something else.

Edited by sireric1967

Interesting development. Messing around with drivers, caused me to mess up windows boot up. So a windows 10 reinstall had to be done. Great.

Anyway, easy enough, re install only preserving data files. But after re install, which removed all apps and many drivers, icue installed, and so far is running fine! I will test more, but surprising results.