Corsair Community

CM3X8GSDKIT1066 wont work in laptop

jonjon5886

I REcENTLY ORDERED 8GB OF RAM FOR MY ACER ASPIRE GEMSTONE SERIES MODEL LAPTOP. i installed all 8 gigs and my laptop would not boot up for any reason. to confirm, i put the old mem back in, 4 gb of factory ram and it worked. secondly, i put 1 2gb stick of factory, and 4 gb of the corsair in, it came on and works fine. the site at acer says it doesnt support more than 4gb, which i have proved is not true. i currently have 6 gb in here now and am sending this msg out to anyone who can help. i have the original bios version 1.05 insyde h20. when all 8 gb of ram are in there, the computer comes on, but doesnt display anything, no solid boot and post or anything, just my little media light and the hard drive going, but nothing. and its a pain to turn it off. if i can get 6 gb of ram in here, 4 gb of the new corsair ram and 2 gb of the factory, what do i need to do to get ALL 8gb of my newly bought ram to cooperate? Help me plz!

Acer 8930g 9600m gt windows home vista 64 premium-

There wont be anything you can do to get all eight to work. Are you sure the computer is "seeing" all 6 gig of what you have in there now? I bet it's ignoring half of the 4 gig stick or it is not usable. At any rate the systems board only specs out at 4 gigs max and there isn't anything you could change to get it to use all 8 gig.

• Corsair Employee
I would check with Acer to be sure it will support 4.0 Gig modules and then try and remove all of the memory and remove the battery and then plug it in and turn it on, it should beep or blink for no memory detected then just unplug it and install just one of the 4.0 Gig modules then turn it on and go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults if that works then turn it off and install the other modules in its place and see if it will post with either module then if it work one up try it with both modules but you should go and load setup defaults again because the memory size change.

Also, ive been doing dsome more research. im trying to get the specs for the corsair ram, like the timings. =CM3X8GSDKIT1066= and compare it to the factory ram. is 1x4gb of the corsair better than the 2x2gb of the factory installed ram? i heard that timings make a big difference. For the meantime, until i can get all 8 gb to show in my laptop, should i remove the 1x2gb of the factory ram, and just leave the 1x4 gb of the corsair in there since it MAY have better timings for my gaming performance? it says the ram is super fast on behalf of the performance.

it should support 4 gb modules from what ive seen.Acers site says it only supports 4 gb max, which other users with the same model say they can get 8 gb to show in theirs. Upon installing my new ram, i did much of what RAMGUY says. i had removed the 2x2gb factory installed ram. i had my wriststrap, grounded and began to "break bad" with my acer... i installed 2x4gb 1066 ram sticks...the computer would come on, no display, no post, no "boot up" screen, no display whatsoever. My dat hard drive light that blinks when information is being processed was inactive. My media lights were on for media center and controlling volume and media programs...i took out both 2x4 gb corsair sticks, installed the factory ram 2x2gb to make sure i didnt make a boo-boo. it booted up like normal...removed all factory ram, 2x2gb factory ram, and installed 1x4gb of the two corsair newly bought ram... and it booted just up fine...So, i tried to re-install BOTH NEW 2x4gb corsair modules...same problem as the original, just wouldn't boot. so i now have 1 x2 gb of the factory ram in and 1x4gb of the "super fast" ram in here. It doesnt mention that the ram is dual channel, so am i better off with just 1x4gb of the new ram corsair, or 1x2gb factory, 1x4gb of corsair? i read something about the system will default to the slower timings of the 2 sticks installed, thus the factory ram could bog down my pc..

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

Sounds like it won't support more than 4 GB. I'd stick with the original 2x2 GB memory.

i have 6 gb in here now. 1x2gb of factory ram and 1x4g of corsair. the bios shows g\6gb clearly, windows pc properties shows 6gb of memory too. i have 6 gb in here which is with no doubt showing. when i get off of work, i will take a screenshot of atleast the windows pc properties showing its definently running on 6gb.

when i get the chance, im going to see if my performance is better with just 1x4gb corsair ram than the 2x2gb of the factory ram. anyone think it would perform better with the new ram 1 stick of the corsair than 2 sticks of the factory?

Mixing the two sets is going to give you a performance hit vs boost. The two different sticks will default to the lowest speed. Which will be your factory memory in this case. It will no doubt be faster with just the corsair stick in. Although you may not notice any real world performance gain, except in benchmarks.

I dunno, your trying to get a system to accept 8gigs of memory when it only officially supports 4 according to the manufacturers specs. So all bets are off there. I know you said there have been others to get 8 gigs working, do you know if they were using a modded BIOS or some other method to get the system to recognize the extra capacity.

Archived