Corsair Community

Lightning Node Pro to USB 2.0 Type A

gabby131

Greetings!

I ran out of USB 2.0 headers on my mobo and wanting to add another set of Corsair LED strips. As the LN Pros are controlled through USB 2.0 interface, will using a mini USB to USB 2.0 type A cable and plug to the back panel i/o or front case USB port work in controlling through corsair Link?.

Thank you! ^______^

I was ready to get the NZXT internal USB 2.0 expansion but my local store ran out of stock.

I have 2 Node Pro's with 16 Strips outside my case (behind 2 desks and 4 Monitors and 1 4k TV lol) and one is plugged into the Passthrough on my Mouse pad and the other is in my rear IO.. Works Flawlessly...

back of desks

1nCIykU.png

Back of monitors

kmbVyOo.png

Edited by Zotty

I have 2 Node Pro's with 16 Strips outside my case (behind 2 desks and 4 Monitors and 1 4k TV lol) and one is plugged into the Passthrough on my Mouse pad and the other is in my rear IO.. Works Flawlessly...

Oh! I can use a hub as well? awesome! This brings new heights! (and maybe more LN Pros in my rig).

And 16 strips?! Six-Teen? Hell yeah! On my way to the store to get Corsair LED strips Expansion Kit(s)!

Thank you! :)

Thanks for the Pics! I may do and plug to the USB port on my monitor as I want the LEDs to link to my monitor when it turns on/off. The RGB journey begins lol!

Edited by gabby131

But your Link screen and diagram only show SIX-TEEN. Not Twen-Tee-Four.

Where are the missing eight?

nope defo twen-tee-four dude:D::D: ( wonder if anyone else has more?)

and now has the 850i in it ;)

Edited by Zotty

Hey, hey!

How did you connect to your rear IO? The connection I have for my LNP, one connects into the LNP, but the other end is a pin connection, not a USB connection, which the back of my IO only has.

What motherboard do you have which has pin connectivity for USB cables?

Hey, hey!

How did you connect to your rear IO? The connection I have for my LNP, one connects into the LNP, but the other end is a pin connection, not a USB connection, which the back of my IO only has.

What motherboard do you have which has pin connectivity for USB cables?

Use a normal Mini Usb Cable dude....

51M9tRLIWfL._SX355_.jpg

• 2 months later...
how do you power the node pro while external? I don't want to run a sata cable outside my case for this... is there an external solution to this? an adapter cable or splice? the NZXT Hue+ already has the 5v plug... but trying to stay all corsair.

how do you power the node pro while external? I don't want to run a sata cable outside my case for this... is there an external solution to this? an adapter cable or splice? the NZXT Hue+ already has the 5v plug... but trying to stay all corsair.

I have a second PSU mounted under my desk for my external Nod Pro's.

For those interested,, I am now at 40 strips across 4 Node Pro's lol...

[ame]

[/ame]

• 1 month later...

The lighting node pro uses a double pinned internal usb 2.0 header, now be careful here because of the way it is wired, it uses the power from two usb headers, one for power and signal, and second one for power only, running this box in your motherboards usb io shield ports gives a risk of blowing the port because of excess current draw, also note the usb internal cable is short for a reason, to stop power and signal loss, long usb cables will cause problems like flickering and cut outs.

the maximum usb cable length should be no more than 30 cm, and to reliably use the box outside your chassis i would highly recommend using a quality usb splitter cable to make sure enough current is provided to the unit, basically a cable that splits the mini usb of the node pro to 2 x usb 3.0 plugs to plug into your io ports.

Basically the same mini usb cable you use with external 5v hard drives

https://www.com-solutions.co.uk/products/Cables/USB-Cables/StarTech-com/StarTech-com-1-ft-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Dr?prodid=226011&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIruPoi4vD2wIVCrDtCh2Mww9-EAQYAiABEgL7hfD_BwE

6e9071da-4a9b-4ac6-a940-d0c01d4a8b3a.jpg

Edited by Paul S

The lighting node pro uses a double pinned internal usb 2.0 header, now be careful here because of the way it is wired, it uses the power from two usb headers, one for power and signal, and second one for power only, running this box in your motherboards usb io shield ports gives a risk of blowing the port because of excess current draw, also note the usb internal cable is short for a reason, to stop power and signal loss, long usb cables will cause problems like flickering and cut outs.

the maximum usb cable length should be no more than 30 cm, and to reliably use the box outside your chassis i would highly recommend using a quality usb splitter cable to make sure enough current is provided to the unit, basically a cable that splits the mini usb of the node pro to 2 x usb 3.0 plugs to plug into your io ports.

Basically the same mini usb cable you use with external 5v hard drives

https://www.com-solutions.co.uk/products/Cables/USB-Cables/StarTech-com/StarTech-com-1-ft-USB-Y-Cable-for-External-Hard-Dr?prodid=226011&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIruPoi4vD2wIVCrDtCh2Mww9-EAQYAiABEgL7hfD_BwE

6e9071da-4a9b-4ac6-a940-d0c01d4a8b3a.jpg

It's unlikely to cause an issue unless it's an older system. For the record, I actually do it all the time. The MCU in the NoPro is actually powered via the 3.3v rail. Furthermore, most current system supply more than the spec 500mA to USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports supply 900mA spec.

It's unlikely to cause an issue unless it's an older system. For the record, I actually do it all the time. The MCU in the NoPro is actually powered via the 3.3v rail. Furthermore, most current system supply more than the spec 500mA to USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports supply 900mA spec.

Agree'd.. although all 3 of my external node pro's are running off a powered usb 3 hub...

• 1 year later...

So it looks like I found my answer before support replied.

My question was about plugging the usb from PS to the Commander.

Not sure what the problem was.

When doing so, the system would shut down after a couple of seconds.

When it finally booted for more than 3 seconds, the SATA cable that powered a USB card and Commander melted.