The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 09:45 PM
tsGlow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 864807
tsGlow Reputation: 10
Default Is this H115i fan speed too high?

Hello.

Few days ago, I bought this h115i and it feels like little bit...noisy.
I overclocked my 4770k @ 4.0 (whichi is very soft oc, in my opinion),
my ambient temp is from 27 to 32. yep, this is summer.

And this is the fan speed when I choose Balanced profile on Corsair link.
I edited pump speed only to performance.

and that sounds like this video.

Now I using my custom profile like this,

but it doesn't prevent fans rpm go over 1450 when I play AAA titles(MGS V, Witcher 3, Evil within, etc..)

Is it normal sound like this? should I change my PC case?

Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 864810
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Yes, it's normal. The fan speed is based on the water temperature inside the cooler (H115i Temp) and their job is to aid in removing heat from the water. Unfortunately, there is no Tropical, Summer, or Canadian setting to quickly acclimate it to your climate. I usually tell people they need a Winter and a Summer curve. Any one in a hot locale will need to tone down the fan speed quite a bit.

The default will take the fans to their 2000 rpm max at around 40C water temp. If you were in a climate controlled 20C room, the +20C rise in water temp would signal a substantial load and warrant lots of fan speed. When it's 32C in your room and probably 36C in your case to start, 40C only means you launched iTunes from the desktop. The water temperature serves at the basis for your CPU core temperatures. Whatever your voltage levels, you will start off at the water temperature and can't go below that. So expect to see a high 30's idle when the water temp is the same. This would be true regardless of cooling method. However, it does not mean you need 2000 rpm on the fans. There is no reason to run more than 1500 for anything and 1000-1200 should more than cover any game. Like everyone else, you have to accept the warmer cpu temps in hot weather, but there is no reason to run maximal fan speeds when you can only decrease your CPU temperature by whatever margin you can decrease the water temp. If your starting water temp was 36C and it goes to 40C during gaming, the most you can possibly reduce your CPU temps at any fan speed is 4C. There is no reason to blast the fans. You can turn them down more without much penalty. Also, many people who are in your situation may opt for a different fan type that is easier to control or more pleasing in the mid to upper speeds where you spend your Summers. I have different sets I use for the cold and warm seasons.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:31 PM
tsGlow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 864816
tsGlow Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
Yes, it's normal. The fan speed is based on the water temperature inside the cooler (H115i Temp) and their job is to aid in removing heat from the water. Unfortunately, there is no Tropical, Summer, or Canadian setting to quickly acclimate it to your climate. I usually tell people they need a Winter and a Summer curve. Any one in a hot locale will need to tone down the fan speed quite a bit.

The default will take the fans to their 2000 rpm max at around 40C water temp. If you were in a climate controlled 20C room, the +20C rise in water temp would signal a substantial load and warrant lots of fan speed. When it's 32C in your room and probably 36C in your case to start, 40C only means you launched iTunes from the desktop. The water temperature serves at the basis for your CPU core temperatures. Whatever your voltage levels, you will start off at the water temperature and can't go below that. So expect to see a high 30's idle when the water temp is the same. This would be true regardless of cooling method. However, it does not mean you need 2000 rpm on the fans. There is no reason to run more than 1500 for anything and 1000-1200 should more than cover any game. Like everyone else, you have to accept the warmer cpu temps in hot weather, but there is no reason to run maximal fan speeds when you can only decrease your CPU temperature by whatever margin you can decrease the water temp. If your starting water temp was 36C and it goes to 40C during gaming, the most you can possibly reduce your CPU temps at any fan speed is 4C. There is no reason to blast the fans. You can turn them down more without much penalty. Also, many people who are in your situation may opt for a different fan type that is easier to control or more pleasing in the mid to upper speeds where you spend your Summers. I have different sets I use for the cold and warm seasons.
Thanks for great answer!

Old 08-02-2016, 06:17 AM
emsir's PC Specs

POST ID # = 865381
emsir Reputation: 10

How did you connect your fans? To the motherboard or to the rad? Your fans are very loud, and I have the same cooler on a Skylake build (OC to 4.6 Ghz). Hardly hear my fans when idle. When playing games I can hear the fans, but not as loud as yours.
I have connected my fans to the rad and the pump to motherboard (I have a dedicated Waterpump header on my motherboard) If you connect your fans to motherboard your fans will turn up and down all the time, Reason? The fans control the CPU Temp and not the water. In Corsair Link I have grouped the the fans to the pump, controlling the water temp. If i Group the fans to the CPU. the fans spin up and down all the time, and very noisy. You have set the fans to balanced, that's just fine and the Pump to performance. All good. But your fans are loud. They shouldn't be.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:38 PM

POST ID # = 865647
s|ush Reputation: 10

I am also having this very same problem where i thought that the fans simply sound too loud when gaming.
On boot up and general use there is hardly an noise at all. I have tried to minimise the noise by using a custom profile when in game but don't know if this correct? It might help, tsGlow, but I am struggling myself to find the right balance.

Hopefully the image should be attached but my main concern, and yours it would seem, is that the fans are just very loud. I had an original h100 before and didn't find them anywhere near this level.

A point of note, I also have the fans plugged into the connector and then the single connection on to the mobo.

Hope that the custom profile helps.

Edit: with this profile set I've yet to get it over the 45 degree point, which is set at a 60% fan speed.
Attached Images
File Type: png CLink1.PNG (98.5 KB, 1064 views)

Last edited by s|ush; 08-03-2016 at 05:40 PM.