Corsair Community

Did I Short Out My SP120s With ComPro?

Akito_900

Hi everyone! I just got a Commander Pro to control my SP120s along with everything else, and I couldn't get it to work. At first I had only 1/4 fans illuminated, and then had after moving things around, and then back to 1/4. They don't even seem to work now if I remove the ComPro and go back to the button controller. This makes me think they are broken vs. just not configured right or something. Also, what's interesting is when I plug in the power to the 6-input led module, one of the fans kinds of flashes and then goes dark. I think I figured out what happened though.

Reading the sticky thread on "HD120 RGB and SP120 RGB Fan connectors" it talks about not plugging in the 5v LED connector to any 12V connector, like the "Fan" connectors on the commander pro. Well, I believe that's the first thing I did when I put the Commander Pro in (after throwing out the directions, of course :[pouts:). Would that explain why the LEDs are no longer working? Was running the PC / ComPro with 12v going to the LED connectors enough to make them no longer illuminate? I'd like to make sure that's the issue because then I might just buy new SP120s vs. buying HD120s assuming they might work better...

Thanks for your thoughts!

...I might just buy new SP120s vs. buying HD120s assuming they might work better...

I don't know that I would recommend re-buying SP120-RGB for too many people. Take a look at the ML, LL, or HD series before going forward. The SP-RGB will be cheaper, but don't really fit in with the other things in the Corsair RGB system. It would be a shame to replace them with identical models and then run into the issue of needing to run to separate systems if you want to expand lighting to the rest of the case.

I don't know that I would recommend re-buying SP120-RGB for too many people. Take a look at the ML, LL, or HD series before going forward. The SP-RGB will be cheaper, but don't really fit in with the other things in the Corsair RGB system. It would be a shame to replace them with identical models and then run into the issue of needing to run to separate systems if you want to expand lighting to the rest of the case.

I went back and fourth on the sticking with the SP120s or upgrading. Can you elaborate though? Am I just missing out on individually addressable LEDs or something else? For the one fan I didn't break, it appears than in iCue I'm able to pick colors and things - is there something I didn't notice I can't do? I generally prefer static colors, but am interested in some of the custom game effects like in Far Cry, etc.

Well ... the SP-RGB fans are the red-headed step children of the Corsair RGB World.

They are the least capable from a lighting perspective - only a single color.

They are the least bright.

They are the only ones that aren't WS2812B.

They are 3-pin DC fans, rather than 4-pin, PWM fans ... so inferior control.