Corsair Community

K90; another Corsiar Product, another issue...!

TacticalTimbo

Don't know why I keep doing this to myself, still got issues with my H100i... Anywoo, I went out and bought a new K90 today, as I got it for a fair price, but have found myself with the issue that neither of the wrist rest screws tighten...

I've read the thread where some chap found he didn't have the brass captive bolts, but I've checked, and I do have these. The threads seem fine on both the screws, and bolts, but it just keeps spinning.

I hope it won't fly off, but it's rather annoying to see these kind of issues in a premium product! Is this normal, or is anybody else getting this?

Remove the wrist rest and see if you have the brass things in it.

See attachment.

Yes, I definitely have those.

On another note, this morning I whilst looking at my K90 with fresh eyes, I spotted this; https://www.dropbox.com/s/73z0nmchazrxx8r/DSC00743.JPG

...a mark so deep, it lets light shine through the MR button!

P.S, I haven't noticed the flickering again, but early days...

You have butchered the screws, OR you are turning it extra 5 times even after it's tight.....

I mean these type of replies you are gonna get, soon.

Absolutely have not done this, neither of the screws have ever come close to being tight to begin with! Building PCs means I tighten 1000s of screws all the time; I know how to do this!

I can see where you're coming from, but I'd be lying if I didn't say your response was rather annoying!

Do you have this keyboard, and if so, do your screws tighten?

I shall go and attempt high detail photos of the heads of the screws, and of the threads of both the bolt and screw... My NEX 5n needs some juice, will charge then shoot...

Pal, I know my response would hurt you, but you missed the point. It was not 'my' response, rather some users. No, I don't have the K90, but I will buy very soon, K70 though, the thing is I have a M60, and the screws at bottom of the product had the same problem, I meant they went to a loop, and I got those pathetic responses, like 'I have butchered it' and all! One thing people don't understand, NO ONE likes to damage a new product, NO ONE is crazy enough to do that, like you, I have been assembling Desktops (my own) for more than a decade now, so YES, I do know how to tight screws and how far to go with it. And in my whole life only two products crapped on me, one this M60, and unfortunately the other product is Corsair too, a SP120 fan!

Anyway, I still believe in them, they do maintain some kind of quality, but these screws are indeed screwing me :P

Btw, didn't get the part about where I am coming from! Anyway...best of luck.

The screw might be smaller than the brass things which may be why its endlessly turning.

I'd suggest you contact your seller and ask if they can replace the K90 for you.

Great minds think alike; that's exactly what I was thinking as I disassembled for photographing... not only do they not tighten, but they also spin when trying to remove them; you need a slight bit of pressure to remove them, or they have too little traction.

I would have gone back to the reseller (PC World) in a heartbeat, but alas it was the last one on the shelf :[pouts:

Here are the photos, some were a bit tricky to get (used the tripod for the last photo), but I think they aptly show the screw and bolts, totally unmolested. One of the clips fell off, so took the pic of that screw separate. I'll put a link to the DropBox folder, as files are too big for attachments, and this forum doesn't like DropBox inserts?!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d1az9lhav114vkn/HRvqgNt_UM

P.S. download for full res/detail...

Update, managed to get through to the retailer, and as if by miracle, they do have another boxed K90... will go in a check it... might even take a screwdriver!

Got back home with the replacement last night, and unbelievably the situation with the screws is exactly the same, that is to say, they don't come close to tightening; is this just the way this keyboard is?

Also annoying is that the spacebar on this one seems a little gammy, I think it has something to do with the left stabilizer?

I've attached I screen grab of the device info, maybe that can shed some light on the batch it's from; it might be fairly old stock a fw version is old?

K90info.PNG.b0e59940a826dad262d778bde1c9f806.PNG

The screws won't fully tighten (as in a full stop). As long as they aren't loose after screwing them in it should be fine.

Remove the spacebar key and put it back on and see if that fixes the spacebar.

Well I took the spacebar off, had a look around couldn't see any dust/dirt... I put it back, and it's still gammy; basically it's not smooth on the left side, and if actuated slowly,the left stabilizer feels like it's getting caught on a notch. Argh, it's pretty irritating tbh... do you think I should RMA it? :sigh!:

If its irritating to you i would say yes. note that Corsair is closed until Monday 8th July so it may be faster getting it replaced by the store again.

Might be better to open it before you go home to see if everything fine.

If its irritating to you i would say yes. note that Corsair is closed until Monday 8th July so it may be faster getting it replaced by the store again.

Might be better to open it before you go home to see if everything fine.

Yea, this is true. I didn't bother to take it out the box, as there was a massive queue of pissed off looking customers... The staff were moving like a bunch of geriatrics; I waited over 30mins to get assistance!

As for going back to the store, I don't think it's a goer this time, pretty sure that this one was the last of the last.

I'll wait until Mon, I guess... I thought Independence Day was the 4th July?

It really is a bummer, most of the keys have a lovely smooth bolt action feeling, the spacebar just jars with this horribly; the feeling of it catching on the return is nasty... Much more bothersome that the slack screws!

btw, I don't know about you, but I'd wager that the guy who laser etched the two top buttons, wasn't a Darts Champion; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j9dl0p85dw317qm/lLrlGwzI-8 :roll:

Archived