Corsair Community

Question about H100i and power.

the_darkness

So I installed a new H100i platinum yesterday. When I tested originally everything worked. I have a CoPro, a NoCo, the cooler and a RGB fan hub (7 fans in my case). So I moved the cooler's SATA power connection to the same cord as my drives because it was closer in terms of cable management and was thinking of adding a NoPro for additional strip lights. After that, the lights didn't work. Switched back and all was/is fine.

On the surface, you'd think power was power and components shouldn't really care where they get it from. So, does someone have a technical explanation of why the RGB's on the 100i won't work if the cooler is NOT on same SATA power cables as the other corsair components/on the same SATA cable as the drives?

On the surface, you'd think power was power and components shouldn't really care where they get it from. So, does someone have a technical explanation of why the RGB's on the 100i won't work if the cooler is NOT on same SATA power cables as the other corsair components/on the same SATA cable as the drives?

That's not going to be the underlying cause and the components do not need to be linked on basic power level. In fact, I recommend most people spread them out. I don't know why it won't run from the one SATA connector with the HDDs. It could be a bad connector. Perhaps the HDDs use up more power than you'd expect, but that seems a bit of a reach. Typically HDDs pull voltage from all three 3.3/5/12v rails. Perhaps there isn't enough 5v line left for the lighting. It would be interesting if the fans and pump still spin (12v), but the lighting does not (5v).

That's not going to be the underlying cause and the components do not need to be linked on basic power level. In fact, I recommend most people spread them out. I don't know why it won't run from the one SATA connector with the HDDs. It could be a bad connector. Perhaps the HDDs use up more power than you'd expect, but that seems a bit of a reach. Typically HDDs pull voltage from all three 3.3/5/12v rails. Perhaps there isn't enough 5v line left for the lighting. It would be interesting if the fans and pump still spin (12v), but the lighting does not (5v).

That certainly IS interesting as that is exactly what happened. Fans were spinning fine and they adjusted with the perf profiles. As for a bad connector, not likely as it's a brand new braided set, but I suppose I can dust off the multimeter and find out. I've read a lot of posts that also suggest spreading them out too, which is why I originally did that, but if that IS the recommendation, I'd think the hardware or iCue would compensate for it.

Connector is probably fine. We are starting to see more issues with not enough 5v to go around. Not sure if that is the case here or not. I suppose another way to check is to disconnect the two drives, assuming one is not the C drive. Also watch out for molex to SATA adapters and occasionally there is an actual PSU limitation on the line, although I would not expect that from what’s listed in your specs.