Corsair Community

Corsair link instablility identifying my problem

mcr1878

Ok so I did a recent upgrade (specs see above; pictures here).

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=141417

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/mcr1878/20150601_223625_zpsifqowjdp.jpg

New H110i GT and some internal HD cage mounted corsair SP120 fans directed to the GPUs and to push/pull with my Corsair 650D front inlet fan in front of the cage. So not introducing turbulence but pulling cool air past the HDD rack so the front fan isn't isolated but has help.

Re: Corsair Link

Whilst in game (DirectX11 running) I minimised to take a peak at temps. Also in game am getting random lockups then crashes under 100% load.

I am running Asus Suite II parallel to CL

So I disabled ALL Asus fan/temp/voltage/power sensors or tools/alteration modules (barring the TurboVEvo to control my OC, SSD Caching, Wifi Go, Ai Charger+ and the like). Have also removed some other power tools tonight

In general the crashes are happening whilst Corsair Link is running. either minimised or windowed but behind the game.

I'm going to test tonight again without launching or running Corsair Link (other than in my task bar).

As I have a suspicion having CL running is causing my instability.

This has happened before with Corsair products. The hardware is superb but the driver/software is often the cause of problems.

I'll let you know my findings.

I don't want to completely remove Asus Suite II (due to SSD caching and my OC control). I want to embrace Corsair Link but its hard due to instability.

Both AI Suite and CL do not correctly interlock access to the hardware using mutexes. If you run both this will cause issues. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.

I feel Corsair need to add a sticky thread about which programs can and can't be safely used at the same time as CL.

Ok. I tried a number of iterations.

I uninstalled CL. No good.

Reinstalled. CL. Avoided having it open (minimised only to look at temps).

I unistalled the majority of modules in ASUS S II. No good

I ramped down my CPU overclock in bios to 3.7GHz. Good.

I set a max temp GPU 1 - notification + fans to 100% if GPU went > 70 C.

GPU 1 temp maxed at 66 degrees C. GPU 2 maxed at 60 degrees C.

CPU temp maxed at 45 degrees C.

Previously at 4.2 GHz OC the GPU 1 temp went to 72 degrees C (max). The overall system temps were all in tolerances and my Asus 660Ti can go to 95 degrees C max temp before shut off according to the Nvidia website.

72 degrees C isn't all that hot for this type of GPU card.

My overall system temps are not all that hot (seriously 30-40 degree range). I am wondering if this is some sort of BIOS voltage issue somewhere on the board DUE to these items of software CL / Asus Suite

The trouble is I am not sure I want to uninstall Asus Suite II entirely. It controls my 240GB HDD SSD cache (Intel's is only 60GB).

I installed two additional SP120 fans onto the HDD cage to suck air into the main case area and blow (WITHOUT TURBULENCE) onto the GPUs.

Removing the OC proved the max temps are FINE (never went above 70 degrees C on the GPU and frankly the CPU at 45 to 50 C may as well of been idling!).

Note that I have an aerocool fan/temp hardware controller that all is connected to. This doesn't interfere with the pump or CPU fans as the header only REPORTS RPM and temp. Not control my H110i GT.

This controller controls all my other case fans whereas Corsair link doesn't.

Like I said. I'm going to try reinstalling Asus Suite EZ Turbo thing to try and get to at least 4.0 GHz.

But I really do think Corsair and Asus (two of the biggest and most popular hard ware manufacturers in the world) need to speak to each other to make sure users can opt for either/or sensor/control

Whilst still use other software like SSD Cache (Asus) or similiar.

This lack of compatibility and easy shut off of specific components harms Corsair and Asus brands. They should be targeting maximum compatibility with each other.

PS. I'm upgrading to a ASUS 980Ti soon. I want this stability issue sorted before I do. Its so frustrating that two of the biggest manufacturers have reported software conflicts.

Both AI Suite and CL do not correctly interlock access to the hardware using mutexes. If you run both this will cause issues. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141037.

I feel Corsair need to add a sticky thread about which programs can and can't be safely used at the same time as CL.

The issue I have is now clearly.

Random crashes AT FULL GPU LOAD. But only on Overclocking the CPU to 4.2GHz

At standard optimised 3.7GHz these crashes aren't happening AT FULL GPU LOAD>

Also temperatures are fine at either throttle (see above).

Ok.

I seem to have a STABLE system.

The issue was not CL interaction with Asus Suite II (minus monitoring modules) it seems it was the OC that was unstable.

Now I'm mindful of the potential misreporting of temps as pointed out by other users however I have a stable OC of @4.2GHz.

Plus I am not using the modules others have commented about conflicting with CL (by pinging the thermistors in conflict with CL).

With no crashes yet.

There is obviously some weaknesses in the CL software like the LED not saving. However I have stressed the system and its ok temps are < 50 degrees C CPU at 4.2 GHz with the H110i GT with GPU temps of 66-68 C.

Overall happier. :cool:

Plus I've got some cooler SP120 whites I mounted internally on the HDD cage which look good too.

Thought I was going mad.

Archived