Corsair Community

iCUE Fan#1 showing 0 RPM

AJ_the_DJ

Guys, hopefully, someone can enlighten me.

I built my PC yesterday and am having problems with iCUE not showing the correct information for Fan #1.

I have Commander Pro and six fans installed, all connected to the commander unit.

The latest firmware updates have been made and I have the latest iCUE software (3.3.81).

When trying to configure the Fan speed, fan #1 is showing as 0 RPM even though it is spinning. Changing the speed via iCUE has no impact on the RPM. The RGB on the fan works with no issues.

The remaining five fans all show a valid RPM in iCUE and changing the speed on any of these fans have an impact, as expected.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Hopefully, there is a quick fix.

BTW, I have installed & reinstalled iCUE and checked all connections in the PC thrice. If it was a connection issue, the fan wouldn't spin or allow me to change its RGB.

The Fans I have installed are Corsair LL120

Go into the iCUE settings -> Commander and set Fan #1 to either 4 pin or 3 pin DC as appropriate. Sometimes the auto-detect misses. If you are using all 4 pin PWM fans on the Commander, I would set them all to 4 pin as well to skip the fan power on test you get at boot. 3 pin DC fans will do this regardless.

Go into the iCUE settings -> Commander and set Fan #1 to either 4 pin or 3 pin DC as appropriate. Sometimes the auto-detect misses. If you are using all 4 pin PWM fans on the Commander, I would set them all to 4 pin as well to skip the fan power on test you get at boot. 3 pin DC fans will do this regardless.

Manually set all fan's to 4-pin, still same issue.

Rebooted machine, no change.

Also, swapped physical fan 1 with fan two on the commander Pro, again no luck.

This is really odd!

fan-1.jpg

4-pin.jpg

Edited by AJ_the_DJ
Images added

Unsure if it's software or firmware. It always seems to glitch fan #1. When people come back and say fan #3 doesn't respond, the problem usually ends up being something else. It is possible the RPM pin/sensor on header #1 just happened to go, which is why at this point it makes sense to contact Corsair with an eye toward replacement or a different reset option.

In the meanwhile, you could try resetting the Commander Pro - I fixed a fan port (I had a port that was not working at all):

To reset a Commander Pro:

1. Ensure your PC running, unplug the SATA connection from the CoPro,
  2. On the front of the CoPro, there is a small hole. Using a straightened paperclip or similar, press the reset button found in the hole described and whilst continuing to hold the reset button down, reconnect the SATA cable (three hands would come in useful here).
  3. Release the reset button.

After a brief-ish period, the Commander Pro should be recognised by the system. Check ICUE and update the firmware as required.

One other thing you can try. It's possible the cooling config file is corrupted.

1) Quit iCUE. Then navigate to C:Users/(name)/App data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/iCUE/Cooling.

2) Cut and paste the config file from the cooling folder to the desktop. Then re-launch iCUE. It will create a new one.

3) You should have a clean slate on curves. Create a new one and see if the fixed rpm or % will work.

If not, you can get your old curves back by dropping the original config file back into the Cooling folder and restarting iCUE. That will bring you back to where you started.

One other thing you can try. It's possible the cooling config file is corrupted.

1) Quit iCUE. Then navigate to C:Users/(name)/App data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair/iCUE/Cooling.

2) Cut and paste the config file from the cooling folder to the desktop. Then re-launch iCUE. It will create a new one.

3) You should have a clean slate on curves. Create a new one and see if the fixed rpm or % will work.

If not, you can get your old curves back by dropping the original config file back into the Cooling folder and restarting iCUE. That will bring you back to where you started.

Just tried that. Still doesn't work.

Have reverted back to the old config file.

Just had a reply from Corsair.

They think the problem is with the fan and have agreed to replace it.

I don't really think the person dealing with the query knows what they are talking about.

The issue was highlighted pretty clearly with screenshots. I even went as far as stating that I swapped fans around and still it was fan#1 in iCue that was showing 0RPM and that I could not change the speed of fan #1.

This really sucks.

Maybe I'll just take the commander back to Currys and get a replacement and see if that fixes it.

I still don't think this is a hardware issue though.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I received a repalcment commander pro from Corsair. I swapped out my faulty Pro with the new one and am still seeing the same issue.

Fan#1 is spinning slow (say ~800 RPM) but iCue is showing it as 0 RPM. I can change the RGB on it but cannot control the speed.

Remaining 5 fans are fully controllable via iCue and their RPM shows correctly.

I swapped cables of fan #1 with fan #2 and iCue indicated 0RPM on fan #2 this time. Fan #1 was fully configurable.

Is this indicating a fault on the fan?

If the problem moved from #1 to 2 and traveled with the fan, it's probably the fan. This weird glitch we were referencing above always sticks to #1 and doesn't move.

What fan is this? There are a few that behave strangely and have some type of PWM miscommunication with the controller.

OK, those are not on the misbehaving list. It seems most likely that one fan has some flaw in the tachometer wire that prevents it from doing the right thing. You can move that one fan to the MB and see if it will respond there. It might, since most motherboards use PWM % as the control and the Commander uses RPM. That makes it very dependent on the tachometer speed reading.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have the same issue but most of the ports are effected , I tried all the suggestions posted here and hasnt fixed it, I use with 6 x HD120 fans and its been fine must been few years now, but I just replaced AIO and also got some new PSU cable sleeves but once eveything was put back together I started getting this issue

I have 3 HD120 fans connected to the commander pro and 3 connected to the Kraken Z73 which are working fine

all the fans spin at normal speed probably 800rpm fan#3 is showing RPM but if I try to change the speed it doesnt do anything

also have RGB hub connected and all the lighting is working on all the fans

In device settings in icue i have the ports set to 4 pin , I have also tried SP120 spare fans I had and also NZHT 4 pin fans and same issue some ports say 0 rpm even though the fans spin the ones that are spinning when changing fan speed it doesnt do anything

This is so annoying cant play any games due to the fans not doing anything dont know what to do, wished I could try another commander pro

kPESkYl.jpg

Edited by uscool