The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
WAPC's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430562
WAPC Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
This has been posted many times with using 4 modules and we can only guarantee 4 up when they are purchased in a set of 4 at the rated speeds.
Corsair may only guarantee because they've seen troubles, I understand that being a manufacturer that you would be going on a huge limb stating that 4 modules will work (if they're not tested together) as it all depends on the end users system specs. If you guarantee it, then you may end up opening the flood gates, so yeah.... I understand why that is said. On the otherside when a motherboard manufacturer states that the board is capable of running 4 modules then the consumer has peace of mind that it will work. This week ASUS confirmed the QVL running 4 modules but ran 4 modules @ 1066MHz at 1.8V compared to 2.1V - maybe the 2.1 voltage could be giving off some sort of wave fluctuation which causes it to run faster than what the board can handle. However, I'm not an electronic engineer to test that random theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
And WAPC just for example with your MB and CPU you have listed DDR2-667 would be suggested when all four slots are filled.
If that's the case, then buying 2 kits of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF would've been a waste of money (for me) on the grounds that DDR2-800 runs faster than DDR2-667 and if I ran just the 2 modules (4GB in total) I probably wouldn't have an issue but because I'm going to run with 8GB. I ended up returning the 8500C5DF to the distribute who has since returned it to Corsair for analysis (the RA guy didn't test) and am waiting on the arrival of the Quad Q2X6400C4DHX as its an 8GB tested kit at 800MHz and as you've said above, its a quad kit tested and is guarnteed to work.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:44 AM

POST ID # = 430580
aenski Reputation: 10

WAPC do you have problems with this RAM or not...
I asking for azureus because the fsb drop down from 200mhz to 85/90 mhz with azureus and opera and then is the crash now i'm with 2 modules 2gb transcend 800mhz and didn't have problems with fsb... This problem is only for AMD platforms or not???

Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430605
Wired Reputation: 32

aenski, sounds like you have speedstep enabled.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 430719
MarkKelly Reputation: 10

aenski, the problem we have been discussing here is happening on both Intel and AMD systems. Different boards, different CPU's, same Ram and same problem.

For those affected it's a hardware issue, nothing to do with software.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 AM

POST ID # = 431151
aenski Reputation: 10

Wired but why this works only in idle process and process who works with network i am with Gigabyte MA770-UD3 (rev.2.0) where is this speed step to disable

Old 12-16-2009, 03:25 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431153

The setting for speedstep is in your BIOS.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group

Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 431159
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAPC View Post
This week ASUS confirmed the QVL running 4 modules but ran 4 modules @ 1066MHz at 1.8V compared to 2.1V -
Can you please send me a private message and give me the necessary information to contact ASUS and verify this? I have NEVER seen a motherboard that would OC 4 modules at all with the modules undervolted and also with the memory controller voltage at stock. I'm not going to say it cannot be done but if ASUS did it, I'd like to know how. This information could be beneficial to Corsair customers.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 AM
WAPC's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431298
WAPC Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Can you please send me a private message and give me the necessary information to contact ASUS and verify this? I have NEVER seen a motherboard that would OC 4 modules at all with the modules undervolted and also with the memory controller voltage at stock. I'm not going to say it cannot be done but if ASUS did it, I'd like to know how. This information could be beneficial to Corsair customers.
Done. Can you keep us/me informed of what you find out? I wait in anticipation

Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
lfdal54's PC Specs

POST ID # = 431969
lfdal54 Reputation: 10

Has anyone using two sticks in a gigabyte board in channel A (sockets 1 & 3) tried moving them to Channel B (sockets 2 & 4)?

Or is that trick so obvious I'm the last guy to think of it? Reason I asked is that it "fixed" my problem on my GA-EP45-UD3P. I think it means my Channel A memory controller is shot, but at least now I'm comfortable chasing Gigabyte.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
MarkKelly's PC Specs

POST ID # = 432270
MarkKelly Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdal54 View Post
Has anyone using two sticks in a gigabyte board in channel A (sockets 1 & 3) tried moving them to Channel B (sockets 2 & 4)?

Or is that trick so obvious I'm the last guy to think of it? Reason I asked is that it "fixed" my problem on my GA-EP45-UD3P. I think it means my Channel A memory controller is shot, but at least now I'm comfortable chasing Gigabyte.
I tried changing to channel B on my ASUS board with no luck (was one of the first things I tried), so if the memory controller was shot in some small way for channel A it took channel B with it.

I do not think that is the case though as I have different ram working fine in channel A atm (my RMA is in progress, should be getting the replacements within the next couple of weeks). It also seems from the various reports that replacement ram of the same sticks will work fine once installed (at least for a couple of months) suggesting the board controllers are not the issue for most of us.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 PM
soeasytobefake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 432972
soeasytobefake Reputation: 10
Default Similarity.

Aside From ram are there any other similarities? Chips sets maybe? Maybe there is some sort if incompatibility that were all experiencing. Asus P5 series boards support this ram fully... Why should I be having problems? It really worries me that I might have to continuously pay to have new components shipped when Perfectly good stuff fails for "Natural" reasons. There is no reason for a P5Q board to fail with a Q6600 CPU, and this ram all on stock settings. NONE. Especially less then a year after it was put together.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 432995
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

The ASUS P5Q series is one of the best selling motherboard lines in recent history. I don't have exact numbers but this is also one of our best selling modules ever. I am certain there are literally a few hundred thousand of them out in the world. So, if you add up everyone in this forum with issues with this kit and on every forum you can find and then multiply that by 100 you would not even be approaching 1% of the total kits out there. There is no underlying issue here except that occasionally electronic parts fail. When ours do, we replace them.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
soeasytobefake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 433006
soeasytobefake Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
There is no underlying issue here except that occasionally electronic parts fail. When ours do, we replace them.
Well I hope in my case you're right yellowbeard. Both components will be RMA'd and we'll see in a few months if these errors return.
ALSO.... I want to run 8gbs of this ram on my board. Does corsair sell this ram in 4x2gb kits? I haven't seen it anywhere. If not, then why is it that I wouldn't be able to run two separate 2x2gb kits, in separate dual channel modes, with the same specs?

Old 12-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 433012

It is not sold in a 4 stick or 8 GB kit.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM
THD's PC Specs

POST ID # = 433044
THD Reputation: 10

Had problems identical to those described in OP, on a p5k board, except that in my case it happened not only to corsair ram, but also a pair of competitor sticks had the exact same problem. Looks like this isn't a corsair-exclusive issue.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79762