The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 PM

POST ID # = 310295
Drezn Reputation: 10

Allright, thanks for all your input mate, and the rest of you as well of course. You've been most helpful!

I was an integrator and technician myself untill august 2004 where I left the market for a long time. Only just came back to the game now three years later, and in re-educating myself, a lot sure has changed. Among all the great performance improvements, one change I'm not particularly happy with is the feeling of everything being pushed out the door a bit too fast. The products don't feel ready, and it feels like everyone's main concern is to beat the competition in launching their products first. Oh well, that may always have been the case...

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2007, 08:26 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 310302
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezn View Post
The products don't feel ready, and it feels like everyone's main concern is to beat the competition in launching their products first. Oh well, that may always have been the case.
This has not always been the case. When components were far more expensive, there was far more money spent on stability, and one also has to keep in mind that the standards were fewer, and thus there were less stability issues. Now there are so many standards and the Enthusiast industry is often far beyond the standards. For example, JEDEC DRAM standards for DDR2 http://www.jedec.org/ is rated to a highest level at DDR2-800Mhz. Any DRAM that is rated higher than this, is rated beyond those standards, and any motherboard that supports higher than 800Mhz is doing so beyond that supported standard. You can access the higher throughput by overclocking, and by motherboard native support of the higher throughput, but they do not have any standard to follow, so their implementation may differ from one board model to another, and especially so from one motherboard manufacturer to another.

Ad infinitum, ad nauseam...

This is why it is massively important to research not only the parts but also other's use of these parts in the marketplace and not only website reviews. It never hurts to be well informed.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 AM

POST ID # = 310321

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
This is why it is massively important to research not only the parts but also other's use of these parts in the marketplace and not only website reviews. It never hurts to be well informed.
That's true. I gotta tell you though, after reading loads of positive reviews on the parts I intended to use, I was pretty sure I was good. Checking the parts in terms of running well with each other? Now that's taking it to another level. That may be the wisdom I'm taking from all this, googling the motherboard name and parts to see if anyone has any comments on the combinations.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:11 AM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 310331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezn View Post
That's true. I gotta tell you though, after reading loads of positive reviews on the parts I intended to use, I was pretty sure I was good. Checking the parts in terms of running well with each other? Now that's taking it to another level. That may be the wisdom I'm taking from all this, googling the motherboard name and parts to see if anyone has any comments on the combinations.
Indeed. One can never be too informed and when purchasing at the Enthusiast level, doubly so when the parts are out of standard specs. It's always a bit of a crap shoot no matter how well informed one is. :)

Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 AM

POST ID # = 310340

I just got a call from my mate whom I mentioned who has the exact same setup. His memory sticks are revision 5.1, mine are 5.5. I think that's what's causing the trouble, a bad revision paired with a chipset promising more than it can provide.

I still call balony on these modules and this whole tweaking business trying to get something to run at stock speeds. I can't be content to settle for these terribly incompatible pieces of hardware when it can actually work without a hitch. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to see if I can get the modules exchanged for something that's working.

What do you think RAM GUY? You must know what effect different revisions of the same product can do?

I'll be back to let you know how it goes when some conclusion comes of this of course, thanks again for all your great feedback!

Last edited by Drezn; 09-30-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 310615
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

The version 5.5 and Version 5.1 are essentially the same part so I really don't think that is an issue.

CM2X2048-6400C5DHX...............XMS640Xv5.X...MICRON.........64Mx8...Rev.D

Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM

POST ID # = 310617

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
The version 5.5 and Version 5.1 are essentially the same part so I really don't think that is an issue.

CM2X2048-6400C5DHX...............XMS640Xv5.X...MICRON.........64Mx8...Rev.D
Allright, thanks for that. Nice to be able to rule that one out. One thing that hasn't been answered that I was really hoping for is this... Would this work with another brand of modules? Or with another motherboard with the same chipset perhaps? And last, can a BIOS update potentially fix this at a later date?

Last edited by Drezn; 10-02-2007 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 310623

Quote:
Alright, thanks for that. Nice to be able to rule that one out. One thing that hasn't been answered that I was really hoping for is this... Would this work with another brand of modules? Or with another motherboard with the same chipset perhaps? And last, can a BIOS update potentially fix this at a later date?
That is hard to answer, as I would never suggest mixing memory with any system. And if you are having a problem with this system and or these modules I would not mix them with other memory. As for as working with another MB for sure yes they would as long as the other MB supports that speed grade.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:27 PM

POST ID # = 310625

Quote:
That is hard to answer, as I would never suggest mixing memory with any system. And if you are having a problem with this system and or these modules I would not mix them with other memory. As for as working with another MB for sure yes they would as long as the other MB supports that speed grade.
Oh I wouldn't mix them, I'm just trying to find out which product I should get exchanged for something thing else that might work. The question is, is the P35 chipset unable to do this period, or will it work with other modules? As in hardware incompatibility, as opposed to hardware limitations...

Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 310633

I would just let us replace what you have and go from there but we cannot change to another part# sorry. And there should not be any problems with these modules and this MB, I would check for the latest BIOS for you MB to be sure its not a BIOS issue and or test them in another MB to be sure.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM

POST ID # = 310636

Quote:
I would just let us replace what you have and go from there but we cannot change to another part# sorry. And there should not be any problems with these modules and this MB, I would check for the latest BIOS for you MB to be sure its not a BIOS issue and or test them in another MB to be sure.
I am running the latest BIOS (0603), hoping for a new one to come out. I'm afraid I can't agree with you on the no problems with these modules and this motherboard statement. I have three of these systems built, and they're all showing the same symptoms. Also, the OP for this post seems to have the same problem, I wish he'd report back to tell us if he'd gotten it resolved though... I'm pretty convinced these modules will work in another motherboard, I can't believe that I have six faulty modules that run fine two at a time, but not four at a time. Hardware incompatibility I'd say.

My friend bought and built the exact same system after I got him all tech horny talking about it, and for him it seems to be working without a hitch. I'll try sticking my modules in his machine to see how they perform in memtest86. Oh, and I found out we both have version 5.5 modules, so that's definately not it. Sorry about that little mixup.

I'll be back here to post when a solution presents itself, regardless of people's interest ;)

Once again, thanks a lot for all the help!

Last edited by Drezn; 10-02-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added BIOS info

Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM

POST ID # = 310637

Oh, just re-read your post and realized I might have missed something... Are you offering an exchange of the modules or am I misunderstanding you? If you are, I'd like to test them in my friends machine first to decrease the risk of ending up in the same situation with the exchanged modules.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 310644

Yes I am suggesting that we replace the modules and go from there and I agree if you can test them in a known working system that would help isolate that from your System's.

And you made a statement that you had three of these systems all showing problems, that too would suggest there might be some other issue not a memory problem. Can you tell me the complete system configuration for all three systems?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM

POST ID # = 310660

I'll have an opportunity to test them in my friends identical machine this weekend, I'll be able to report back my findings after that.

The complete system specs are as follows:

Asus P5K motherboard
Q6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Quad
4x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (TWIN2X2048-6400 version 5.5)
MSI 8800GTS - 640MB (NX8800GTS-T2D640E-HD-OC)
Seagate 7200.10 8MB cache - 320GB
Corsair HX520W PSU

To my mind, the components are all pretty much top quality.

Problem put simply is that the machines are unstable at DDR2-800 even with a voltage as high as 2.2 and a north bridge voltage of 1.4, and seem to run fine at DDR2-667 with a voltage of 2.1.

My friends system is the exact same as the above, apart from the graphics card which is a Sparkle GTS 640 MB. I can test in memtest86 with my graphics card in his machine this weekend too, not sure if memory addresses and ranges can be affected by graphics cards with identical memory sizes...

Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 310692

Very likely replaced modules will not allow you to run your 4 X 1024 @ 800MHz modules with 800MHz speeds.

Yes, your friend either got lucky or his system will sooner or later show instability. You are expecting that which is not usual.

Good luck in your hunt to run 4 X 800MHz DRAM modules at 800Mhz speeds with complete stability on your system.