The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
GeminiRx's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268171
GeminiRx Reputation: 10

Just confirming for the CM2X1024A-6400 (c5)
I also have had reboots and all. (several times a day)

I'm running my mem on the following settings for 2 day's now...
5,5,5,15,6,42,3,11,5,14 @Manual fixed 800Mhz and 1,9V on my ASUS P5B-E

I did not have any lockups or reboots sinds. (knock on wood)

Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268172
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Ignoring my request and posting an evasive response wont help , I know what I'm asking for and so is Corsair.
You are being rather insulting and condescending here and I would appreciate it if you would stop.

http://www.rojakpot.com/freebog.aspx

http://support.asus.com/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Old 11-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 268183
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Please try and set the tested setting with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15. The please disable legacy USB and test with www.memtest.org. You can follow the link in my signature for the tested settings and all settings not listed should be set to Bios default or Auto!

Last edited by RAM GUY; 11-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
karnokki's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268205
karnokki Reputation: 10

Hello All,

I wanted to weigh in with my experience. I also have the P5B Deluxe, and I matched it with Corsair TWIN2X1024A 6400. My board came with the 0645 bios. The memory was stable only in SPD, so I flashed to the 0711 bios. Floppys are scarce around my place so I used the easyflash2 option in the bios rather than afudos. I tested again with memtest and the memory again failed. Next I tested the two modules individually, one passed on manual settings (5-5-5-15) @ 1.9v and the other did not. I also tried at 2.1v, but no go. Because one module would pass and one wouldn't I assumed it must be a memory issue, and I applied for an RMA, which Corsair granted. Before I shipped I ordered another set of the same memory as I didn't want to be without my main computer during the RMA process. This new set came, but when installed (by itself) failed to boot into windows. Again I tested the two sticks individually and found one would run with manual timings (5-5-5-15) and the other would not allow windows to boot. I ended up keeping the two good modules and RMAing the two bad sticks as a set.

My replacement memory came yesterday and I tested it (by itself) with memtest @ 1.9v with manual timings of 5-5-5-15. After two passes it failed. I tested again @ 2.1v and again it failed. I tried it via SPD timings and it ran flawlessly. I decided to flash to the latest 0804 bios on the ASUS website, but this time I found a couple floppys and used the AFUDOS flash utility and flashed the bios in DOS. After the flash I pressed F2 and loaded the default bios settings. Then I went back into the bios and manually set the main memory timings to 5-5-5-15, and the volts to 1.9. I left the sub settings on auto 6-42-10-10-10 etc. Memtest has been running now without an error for 15 passes. This is with all four slots occupied by a 512mb stick of 6400. WooHoo!

It is possible the 0804 bios fixed the memory issues I was having, but I don't think that is really the case. I believe had I flashed the 0711 bios with afudos rather than the easyflash2, then made the timing adjustments from default, I probably would have been able to run my first set of memory with manual timings. It's too bad, both for Corsair and myself I didn't discover this initially, as I hadn't intended to buy another gig of memory, and Corsair wouldn't have had to pay for shipping the third set to me. Although, I'm certain one module in the second set was bad, as windows wouldn't even boot with it. In the end I'm happy with 2 gigs of memory and Corsair benefits from having sold an extra set of memory they wouldn't otherwise have.

Sorry about the long post.

Last edited by karnokki; 11-08-2006 at 03:58 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268208
Thumbs up

Quote:
Although, I'm certain one module in the second set was bad, as windows wouldn't even boot with it. In the end I'm happy with 2 gigs of memory and Corsair benefits from having sold an extra set of memory they wouldn't otherwise have.

Sorry about the long post.
No worries, thank you for the positive feedback.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 PM

POST ID # = 268226
sluzbenik Reputation: 10

Ok, well, I should have posted the full Asus email I received. Asus says I should get the rest of the timings from Corsair. Corsair does not have them or can not give them to us for some reason. Asus and Corsair are throwing the problem back in each other's courts. In my opinion, Corsair should be able to give us the correct JEDEC settings for the rest of the timings, and Asus should update their BIOS so using the manual setting uses the correct settings. It would seem those settings are correctly programmed in SPD, though I'm still at a loss why no one from Corsair can just look through their specifications for the memory modules and confirm them.

Please everyone open cases with Asus so they will have some further impetus to fix the BIOS for these common modules. Just to clarify the settings we need, here is a capture of MemSet's report...

Asus e-mail:

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

As we do not validate memory ourselves you will need to contact the memory manufacturer and verify that the memory you have of theirs is a tested and approved model # and that the cas latency timings being read in the bios are correct. If the settings in the bios are not the correct timings ask them for the timings needed to run your memory on this motherboard, once you have these timings either the memory manufacturer or one of our technicians can help you hard code these timings into your system. You may also want to ask the manufacturer if there are any memory diagnostic tests that they can recommend that would also help in determining if the memory is causing the problems you are having, there are programs out there that will help in diagnosing problems with memory such as the ones found at www.memtest86.com or the Microsoft memtest diagnostic tool, although we do not officially support these tests your manufacturer may suggest one of these I have listed or another that they themselves use. Below are links to some of the more commonly used memory manufacturers compatibility labs where you can verify what would be the tested and approved memory for your motherboard.Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance please have your case number ready, then contact Technical Support at 502-995-0883 (M-F 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM EST).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg memsetcapture.JPG (56.1 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by Wired; 11-07-2006 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added quote markers

Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268247
ivan5150 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Please try and set the tested setting with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts and Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15. The please disable legacy USB and test with www.memtest.org. You can follow the link in my signature for the tested settings and all settings not listed should be set to Bios default or Auto!
Please sorry for the stupid question again... I have TWIN2X2048-6400, now in the data sheet the correct timin is 5,5,5,12 1.9v ok, now why you write 5,5,5,15??? is 12 or is 15??? Im really goin out of my mind for those damned settings!!!

You write:

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
PCI Express Freq: Auto
PCI Freq: 33.33
Performance Mode: Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T
SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
Command Rate: 2T
DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9
Chipset Core Voltage: Auto
All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Please clear my mind thank you
Uh... and again the title of this thread is Asus P5B Deluxe + TWIN2X2048-6400 Big problems, so, maybe just to be much clear, other MoBo, other Dimms, other settings... better others threads!! :) but is my opinion...
Bye
Ivan

Last edited by ivan5150; 11-08-2006 at 03:53 AM.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM

POST ID # = 268253
c_fun Reputation: 10
Default Last response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_fun
Ignoring my request and posting an evasive response wont help , I know what I'm asking for and so is Corsair.
You are being rather insulting and condescending here and I would appreciate it if you would stop. You are being rather insulting and condescending here and I would appreciate it if you would stop.
I didn't have any intention of offending you. however you answering me in BIG BIG RED CAPITAL LETTERS is offending, I think I brought quite a bit of information to resolve the issues here, and you should be appreciative of it.

and understand what I'm looking for, I'm not the only one that feels the way i feel and you can see "sluzbenik" response here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluzbenik View Post
Ok, well, I should have posted the full Asus email I received. Asus says I should get the rest of the timings from Corsair. Corsair does not have them or can not give them to us for some reason. Asus and Corsair are throwing the problem back in each other's courts.
I will refrain from posting here in the future as to not offend anyone else.

Last edited by Wired; 11-08-2006 at 11:41 PM. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 268257

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_fun View Post
I will refrain from posting here in the future as to not offend anyone else.
Please, post any and every time that you need help. I'm not telling you that you cannot post. The forum is here to help our customers.

ASUS already has the info needed to correct this issue. Think about it, they do not have this issue with their 975x, AM2, etc. They have acknowledged that the problem is theirs to resolve.

The info that you want is NOT an official Corsair specification. As such, we are NOT going to post unofficial specifications here on our site trying to correct a problem that ASUS is responsible for. They have already stated that they will fix it.

If we post unofficial settings and timings here only for ASUS, then we would be expected to do the same for every MOBO out there, and for each time there is a bios revision.

Please be patient and allow ASUS time to resolve this. If you have found stable settings, you can use them until the new bios comes out.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:20 AM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268410

Quote:
Please, post any and every time that you need help. I'm not telling you that you cannot post. The forum is here to help our customers.

ASUS already has the info needed to correct this issue. Think about it, they do not have this issue with their 975x, AM2, etc. They have acknowledged that the problem is theirs to resolve.

The info that you want is NOT an official Corsair specification. As such, we are NOT going to post unofficial specifications here on our site trying to correct a problem that ASUS is responsible for. They have already stated that they will fix it.

If we post unofficial settings and timings here only for ASUS, then we would be expected to do the same for every MOBO out there, and for each time there is a bios revision.

Please be patient and allow ASUS time to resolve this. If you have found stable settings, you can use them until the new bios comes out.
Its ok, can u just please tell me if the correct timin for TWIN2X2048-6400 are 5.5.5.12 1.9v or 5.5.5.15 1.9 ?? Thank you very much

Old 11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 268429

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan5150 View Post
Its ok, can u just please tell me if the correct timin for TWIN2X2048-6400 are 5.5.5.12 1.9v or 5.5.5.15 1.9 ?? Thank you very much
Find your memory timings and specifications HERE.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM
davebob's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268433
davebob Reputation: 10
Default P5B without Deluxe and Happiness

Hi just finish to build my PC. I have a different mobo, so I do not know if setting should be the same.

Asus P5B + E6600

Ati X1900XT 256

2x Corsair CM2X1024-6400.

I tried different settings althoug I am not very good at it. However, did the MemTest on memory( all 9) with pass and not error.

Illustrator keeps crashing, and ZOne Alarm creates conflict..?

I know the memory should be running 1.9v 800MHz..but what about the rest?

Please Help, cause I can still send the memory back, if that is the case. How exactly MemTest works? Shall I do it on everything or just memory?

Ciao e Grazie

Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268434

Quote:
Find your memory timings and specifications HERE.
ok, maybe my english is not good, or maybe im an idiot or i dont know...

Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400:
Twin2x1024A-6400 Data Sheet
Twin2x2048-6400 Data Sheet

If you click on the Twin2x2048-6400 Data Sheet in the .pdf you'll see the timin 5.5.5.12 1.9v and thats ok!

If you go on and read

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
PCI Express Freq: Auto
PCI Freq: 33.33
Performance Mode: Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T

So... please... is 12 or is 15? All I want to know is this... thank you very much

Edit... mmmh... maybe 5.5.5.15 is for the Twin2x1024A-6400...??? In case... sorry for my question...

Last edited by ivan5150; 11-09-2006 at 12:25 PM.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268452

You are not an idiot, we are happy to assist. The JEDEC timing is 15 and we program that into the SPD to comply with JEDEC and to be able to boot and run with most systems.

The module will run at 12 if you want to set this timing manually. Either setting is fine but, 12 should give slightly better performance.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268465

Quote:
You are not an idiot, we are happy to assist. The JEDEC timing is 15 and we program that into the SPD to comply with JEDEC and to be able to boot and run with most systems.

The module will run at 12 if you want to set this timing manually. Either setting is fine but, 12 should give slightly better performance.
:) Thank you very much now is clear!!