Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 222557
milleron Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLeong65
That may tell you. Also, you can download CPU-Z, and it will also tell you if you have an E3 or E6 Venice CPU.

That information came from the CPU support page for your particular motherboard:

A8N-SLI Premium CPU Support Page

Please note that the Rev. E3 CPUs and the Rev. E4 3700+ and 4000+ CPUs are completely missing from that compatibility list.

In addition, the compatibility list implies that your BIOS version 1004 was the first BIOS release for that motherboard - and as such, it supports only the Clawhammer, Winchester and Newcastle-core CPUs.
I think that E3 designates single-core Rev-E chips while E6 designates dual-core Rev-E chips. If that's correct, then I'd interpret the Asus support page to mean that the board supports Rev-E CPUs *UP TO* E6 stepping, rather than that it supports only E6 Rev-E CPUs.

Ron

Old 11-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 222693

I upgraded my BIOS to 1008 and set the command rate to 1T. The computer seemed better, but this may have been because I finally uninstalled a problematic installation of Norton Ghost 9. Then, less than 24 hours into the test, I got another PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen. I'm not terribly discouraged yet because this occurred immediately after defragging one of my drives. However, it was a drive that did not have a page file on it, and defragging shouldn't cause a BSOD. Most of the guesses about this stop error place RAM problems at the top of the list.

My options now are to
  1. Increase DRAM voltage further to 2.9
  2. Upgrade to the just-released BIOS 1009.
  3. Just give up and go back to "Auto" timings.

I hate to flash a BIOS unnecessarily, so I thought I'd ask which is the best troubleshooting step? (It's an important question because each step takes at least a day.)

Ron

Old 11-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 222705
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I would try the latest bios and a fresh install of the O.S. not a ghost image and see if that will solve the problem. But I have no problem replacing your modules if you like!
Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Old 11-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 222708

That offer is VERY kind, since I'm not yet certain that the problem is RAM.

I think a fresh install of the OS is not wise because I DID that prior to resorting to the Ghost backup, and I had worse problems with that than I'm having with the current setup, which is not far from being acceptable.

I'll try another BIOS upgrade.
If that doesn't work, what would you think of trying the 2.9-volt setting?

Ron

Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 222738

Up to but not over 2.9 Volts is fine.

Old 11-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223032

I flashed the BIOS up to 1009, the most recent non-beta version, but I still got BSODs with various messages. I then took the following steps:

1 -- I uninstalled and reinstalled sound drivers since I thought there might be a conflict between Realtek and nVidia. Now, only nVidia software is installed.
2 -- I upgraded the firmware in my router.
3 -- I disabled Cool and Quiet, thinking that it might have been erroneously undervolting my CPU.
4 -- I opened the side of the case. Even though my reported temps were very low -- nothing over 40° and CPU actually less than 30° -- I wondered if something not being reported might be a little hot. The RAM is cool to the touch.
5 -- I relaxed RAM timings totally to BIOS "Auto" -- 2.5-3-3-5, 2T, which is WAY below spec for these 3200XLPT sticks.

So far, the computer's stable for about 20 hours, although without running a burn-in program.

If a BSOD or reboot occurs, I'll uninstall and reinstall Catalyst drivers.

If all that doesn't rectify the situation, I'll take you up on your offer of an RMA.

I'll post results in 48 hours, assuming you still follow threads that old.

Thanks for all the help.

Ron

Old 11-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223074

Help, RAM Guy,

After doing all that, I thought it was OK to try a stress test. I ran the SANDRA Burn-In applet and returned to a black (not blue) screen and an unresponsive computer. I then ran Prime95. On the "Blend" option under Torture Test, it halted with errors after about twelve minutes -- "rounding error," if that makes any difference. On the "Short FFT" option which stresses the CPU preferentially, it ran for an 93 minutes without a problem. On the "Long FFT" option, which stresses RAM disproportionately, it crapped out after 90 seconds the first time and 12 minutes the second time with the same "rounding error." I think it's down to RAM and motherboard in that order, don't you?

May I please take you up on your offer to exchange this DRAM?

Thanks,

Ron

Old 11-14-2005, 04:32 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223105

It actually turns out that Newegg will replace the two sticks, even though I bought it almost 6 months ago, so I won't need an RMA from Corsair.

I'd still like to know if in your opinion, given these Prime95 results, replacement of the RAM is the logical next step.

Thanks

Ron

Old 11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 223371

I would try replacing the modules and go from there. But erros in these application can be cause by many things other than the hardware, driver, antivirus, PSU for example, but lets try replacing them and go from there.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223379

Roger that. I've found that Newegg will replace them, so I'm going to RMA them to Newegg. I'll let you know if that makes a difference.

It's going to take me a couple of weeks to get the exchange made, and I'll update this thread with the results.

I guess I'm wanting to think it's RAM for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that stability improved significantly when I took the timings all the way back to BIOS "Automatic" defaults. Doesn't that seem pretty significant? Could a problem with the motherboard also be partly alleviated by relaxing these timings??

Thanks again.

Ron

Old 11-15-2005, 08:09 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 223380

Ron,
That could suggest a power issue or the system configuration you have just will not run well with agressive timings IE: Bios. Its hard to say, but we will know more when you get the new modules.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223905
Default It's the RAM

I didn't RMA the 3200XLPT sticks yet.

Instead, I ordered a single 512MB stick of Corsair ValueSelect PC3200.

I pulled out one stick of 3200XLPT, leaving a single stick of the original 3200XLPT in slot B1 (the slot in which a single stick should be placed in the A8N-SLI Premium). At both 2.8 and 2.9 volts, totally relaxed timings (2.5-3-3-5, 2T), Prime95 Torture Test on Blend (the setting for testing "lots of RAM") stops with a hardware error after running "zero" seconds. It runs the short-FFT Torture Test OK.

Swapping that stick with the other original stick of 3200XLPT, Prime95 Blend Torture Test stops with a hardware error in seconds. It runs the short-FFT Torture Test OK

Swapping that for the single stick of ValueSelect DRAM, Prime95 Blend Torture Test runs for hours without a problem at either 2T or 1T command rates.

Since I've not read anything about the A8N-SLI Premium being incompatible with 3200XLPT SDRAM, it looks like there's something wrong with these DIMMs. So I think this was the final troubleshooting test.

Do you agree?
I have an RMA for the TwinX pair of CMX512-3200XLPT DIMMs. Should I exchange them for another pair, or would you suggest that I try a different type of low-latency Corsair TwinX?

Ron

Last edited by milleron; 11-18-2005 at 05:04 PM.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Ron
milleron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223951
Default Recommendations for A8N-SLI Premium, please

I'm having trouble with TwinX 3200XLPT modules in my A8N-SLI Premium. It's described in another thread here.

This is an extremely common and popular motherboard, so I'm hoping that other users might chime in here to let me know what Corsair RAM they're using successfully with it.

Thanks.

Ron

Old 11-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Garvin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223960
Garvin Reputation: 10

Those sticks should run great on that board. If it were me; I'd get the same model. Others are using this ram successfully with this board.

ps: Which revision chipset drivers are you using by the way, some revisions are known to be unstable with both the Premium and Deluxe versions of this board from what I've read over at hardwareanalysis.com? The link to a forum on this board:

http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/46615/

Last edited by Garvin; 11-19-2005 at 03:18 AM.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 223965
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin
Those sticks should run great on that board. If it were me; I'd get the same model.

ps: Which revision chipset drivers are you using by the way, some revisions are known to be unstable with this board and the deluxe version from what I've read over at hardwareanalysis.com?
In the case of the XLs, I can't see how it'd matter, as there's only 2 versions, and the only diff is the PCB, and that diff you may only see when OC'ing to extremes.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)