Corsair Community

Clarification of "VR ready" and lack of VirtualLink?

VirtualStink

Hello,

I actually purchased the i160 earlier today and just cancelled my order due to one singular fact... the lack of the VirtualLink port. I'm a huge VR gamer (Vive Pro and Original Rift) and I just sold my Alienware Aurora to make way for a new 2080 series (preferably Ti). I was originally planning on snagging a new Razer Blade 15 with the MaxQ RTX2070 and the eGPU core + full size RTX2080ti.

My goal for this is to be ready to buy the new Vive Cosmos on launch day and be as futureproof as possible.

This all changed when I saw the i160... Amazing engineering, killer specs (except for not having a 1TB NVME... seriously guys?) and the i9. It looked PERFECT! I actually bought one about 5 hours ago off Amazon.

I just got home and did some more digging and realized that what I had ASSUMED was the VirtualLink port (the USB port labelled 'VR READY') is actually nothing of the sort and this $3600 beast DOESNT HAVE THE ONE THING THAT IS DESIGNED TO SUPPORT FUTURE VR SETUPS.

Here are my questions...

1) WTF is the 'VR READY' ports on the i160?!?

2) WHY IS THERE NO VIRTUALLINK PORT?! The 2080 has that built into the card... why is it removed on the Corsair implementation?

3) Can anyone convince me to re-do my purchase and buy the i160 based on the info? I'm genuinely opening the door for someone at Corsair to give me a reason to throw my money back at them, but the lack of VirtualLink really gives me pause.

Any input (from other customers and/or Corsair staff) is more than welcome here!

Thank you in advance

I was also seriously considering the i160, but the lack of Thunderbolt 3 kills the deal.

For a $3600 gaming computer with such excellent specs, how does it not come prepared for next gen VR?

Hopefully they'll pick up on this mistake quickly and add the connection. Ideally one in front and one in back. :(::(:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Virtual Stink. Did you ever get to the bottom of the mystery of the missing Virtual Link port on the 2080Ti in the Corsair One i160? It's really strange, given that it is presumably based on the founders card and therefore would have the same ports. The 'VR Ready' is presumably just the graphics card's HDMI video port routed to the front. I'm ordering the i160 but this is also giving me pause.

• 1 month later...
In case you guys were wondering, Its not missing. as far as I can tell there is no pass-through cables that support VirtualLink so they just didn't run one. I have tried contacting both Corsair and Nvidia and they couldn't give me information on a cable that supports VirtualLink pass-through. Once I find one I plan to CAD up a new front plate and add it and a USB-C moving the HDMI under the display-port plugs in the back. It might end up being a pipe dream though. :(

Hi Virtual Stink. Did you ever get to the bottom of the mystery of the missing Virtual Link port on the 2080Ti in the Corsair One i160? It's really strange, given that it is presumably based on the founders card and therefore would have the same ports. The 'VR Ready' is presumably just the graphics card's HDMI video port routed to the front. I'm ordering the i160 but this is also giving me pause.

To my knowledge, it is not FE card, but MSI RTX2080TI Ventus

Edited by Etz

• Corsair Employee
In case you guys were wondering, Its not missing. as far as I can tell there is no pass-through cables that support VirtualLink so they just didn't run one. I have tried contacting both Corsair and Nvidia and they couldn't give me information on a cable that supports VirtualLink pass-through. Once I find one I plan to CAD up a new front plate and add it and a USB-C moving the HDMI under the display-port plugs in the back. It might end up being a pipe dream though. :(

CORSAIR ONE 2019 models were designed with the then-current implementation of VR-Ready we had at the time in mind (which called for an HDMI pass-through on the front panel of previous CORSAIR ONE models). We were made aware of VirtualLink being present on RTX cards late enough in the development cycle that it would have significantly delayed our launch schedule.

Edit: That said, we've noted the interest in supporting VirtualLink and will continue monitoring the topic as future VR headsets eventually adopt that connectivity option.

Edited by Corsair CJ
Clarification.

This is an interesting thread. Corsair CJ, if you could clarify a couple points for me?

If I am understanding Remorage correctly: The video card inside the i160 does, in fact, have the virtuallink/usb-c type connector on board that simply wasn't routed to the exterior of the case. That the only limitation to future compatibility is identifying and installing a virtuallink compatible M to F cable?

Is this correct?

Regardless of the present availability of such a cable - knowing that the port is native to the installed card would go far in helping me to decide whether to pull the trigger on an i160 or just build my own rig.

Also, can you verify the GPU manufacturer for me please?

My thanks.

• Corsair Employee

If I am understanding Remorage correctly: The video card inside the i160 does, in fact, have the virtuallink/usb-c type connector on board that simply wasn't routed to the exterior of the case. That the only limitation to future compatibility is identifying and installing a virtuallink compatible M to F cable?

That would be correct to my knowledge.

Also, can you verify the GPU manufacturer for me please?

Unfortunately, I can't since that is subject to change based on supply.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to throw in a voice for the virtual-link.

I'm starting a PhD on VR for education and wanted a powerful PC to drive the content, but the idea that I could carry the i160 around in a backpack for user-testing was too attractive to ignore.

Particularly the idea of having it be something I can use to quickly set up VR areas with all the power and none of the bulk of a full desktop, was extremely appealing.

That, and the specs would certainly last me the full duration of the PhD itself.

Since I've just ordered a Valve Index as my device of choice to begin the research with (can't stand using out-dated kit for research). Which has virtual link support, I am now in a bit of paralysis about what to buy. as spending so much on the i160 to get an RTX card that SHOULD have the port, and in fact apparently does inside the case, would be a huge disappointment.

I don't start till September, and would be happy to keep in contact with Corsair until then but if a simple face-plate swap can't be sorted (or advised remotely on how to safely mod it) a sale may well be lost.

• Corsair Employee
Just wanted to throw in a voice for the virtual-link.

I'm starting a PhD on VR for education and wanted a powerful PC to drive the content, but the idea that I could carry the i160 around in a backpack for user-testing was too attractive to ignore.

I don't start till September, and would be happy to keep in contact with Corsair until then but if a simple face-plate swap can't be sorted (or advised remotely on how to safely mod it) a sale may well be lost.

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck as you begin your PhD! We'll keep everyone updated if a solution comes together for those that would like to take advantage of VirtualLink.

Thanks for the feedback and best of luck as you begin your PhD! We'll keep everyone updated if a solution comes together for those that would like to take advantage of VirtualLink.

Thanks, appreciate the quick acknowledgement and response. (and most of all the luck haha)

Hopefully this is a simple enough tweak, judging by what you have achieved in the design and development of the rest of the system it should pale in comparison to other challenges :biggrin: