The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 AM
(Want DDR600 2gb for P4!)
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246588
Clint H. Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike
Sorry to hear about the finger, perhaps voice recognition software would help while you heal.
Hee hee. Better today, doesn't hurt as much and I have a "guard" on my fingers so I can type.

Quote:
In the past and based on feedback from all the gurus, OCers, modders, etc I have conferred with, a majority of Memtest test 5 errors trace back to the CPU. This is especially true when OCing. Even though the CPU is capable of higher bus speeds with lesser quantities of memory, this is a 2 x 1gb setup and will have much more demanding characteristics than either your 2 x 256mb or 2 x 512mb setup.
I'm not saying that's definitely not the case, but that's not what I've seen in info I've found:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=3&lr=lang_en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=5&lr=lang_en

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...d=2&lr=lang_en

So how then do you think these "much more demanding characteristics" of which you speak be compensated for?

Quote:
Based on your signature, you noted that 2 x 256mb allows a higher FSB than 2 x 512 or 283mhz vs 250mhz. It's logical then than your OC could drop even more with 2 x 1024mb sticks.
Not necessarily. The 2x256mb sticks are different chips than the 2x512mb sticks. They are also a good bit older, and I know you're aware of memory "not being what it used to be", like the demise of TCCD and BH5 for some examples. In this case, the 2x512mb sticks just aren't as good of quality as the 2x256mb sticks.

Quote:
You may need some crazy NB cooling to run 275mhz with the new memory IF your MOBO+CPU combo will do it at all.
Yes, I've been stating all along my CPU on this mobo will do at least 290mhz bus. There's a HS on the NB chip of course, plus I added a fan to it. I have a thermal sensor under the HS up to the chip and it never gets above 100°F.

Quote:
Also, are you cooling the power MOSFETs around the CPU? And, did you ever test the modules individually? Did you ever update your bios? These 2gb kits were not even available when ASUS released bios 1016 so some compatibility may be gained from the new bios.
Mike.
Cooling is NEVER a problem. I have huge server case with a total of 23 fans! (Some run by a supplemental AT PSU). Some are small fans blowing on the mobo's PS and PS components including the MOSFET's in that area, and around the CPU. They are all quite cool. Plus I even heat-sinked many components on the mobo like other MOSFET's/FET's that were too hot for my taste.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246589

Ramguy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
Lets get your modules replaced, but what you have posted would suggest some other problem. And PSU would be the most likely cause.
5 or 6 PS's I tried! Please elaborate on any PSU issues or "other problem" you mention. I think I pointed out one PSU was $130! One has 40A on the 3.3v rail (600 watter). Also tried an Antec PS and others. (I just counted and it was 6 PSU's I tried).
Thanks.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 246593
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

We can speculate till the cows come home but, since RAM GUY has offered an RMA, why don't you send them in. If you get the new sticks and you still have the same problem, it's not the memory.

Bios 1023 may help if you want to try that before RMAing.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246614

Quote:
We can speculate till the cows come home but, since RAM GUY has offered an RMA, why don't you send them in. If you get the new sticks and you still have the same problem, it's not the memory.

Bios 1023 may help if you want to try that before RMAing.
They already HAVE been sent back! From yesterday......
I received a phone message from a "John ********" regarding my RMA and he left the email address of "ramguy[at]corsair.....". Is that you, and if so, to what exactly was it pertaining? I sent the memory back Monday.

So in the event I have the same issues happening, (even if not) I would be curious to know how then do you think these "much more demanding characteristics" of which you speak be compensated for?

I tried 3 different BIOS versions, including the latest non-beta which is v1023.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 246621
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint H.
So in the event I have the same issues happening, (even if not) I would be curious to know how then do you think these "much more demanding characteristics" of which you speak be compensated for?
Depending on what they are, they may not be fixable. I'm only guessing here as I can't actually lay hands on your hardware. However, if you look back at how memory and chipsets have progressed over the past 10 years or so, occasionally the memory IC density has proved to be problematic for the chipsets of the particular time. It's entirely logical to me that your system may not OC as well with 1gb modules as it will with a pair of DS 512mb modules which is what Intel designed it to do.

As far as power goes, it's entirely possible that the MOBO power regulation/supply is the culprit here. The so called "droop mod" for the ASUS boards may be needed since your power consumption and demands are far higher in this configuration as compared to 2 x 256mb or 2 x 512mb. No matter what PSU you have, if there is a weak link anywhere else (MOBO, chipset, MOBO power reg, CPU, memory, etc.) it may still be a "power issue" yet you can't resolve it with power supplies.

Good luck with the finger and the new memory. Hopefully you simply had a weak or failing module and this whole thread will be a moot point next week. Good thing for the Corsair warranty.

Mike.

Last edited by Yellowbeard; 04-21-2006 at 02:30 PM.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246683

FWIW, both of my G3il memory DC kits are single-sided.

Interesting you'd mention the droop mod. (I did the Vdimm mod on my mobo when I first got it, since it only goes up to 2.85v and the G3il memory needed about 3v for best performance. I removed it when OCZ came out with their "DDR Booster" and I got one of them. (In case anyone is wondering, yes I tried the Corsair with the DDR Booster once [set to ~2.8v] because it's also supposed to "stabilize memory" and voltage to it. Didn't help). As I understand it, the droop is for CPU voltage stability, right? I know the Vcore on this series of mobo's is really unstable and (in my case) I see it go from 1.56-1.648v! This is with the Vcore set to 1.585 OR 1.60v.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 246882
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

What is the part# of all of the modules you have in this system and what are the exact bios settings you have set for CPU and memory?

Old 04-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 246942

Quote:
What is the part# of all of the modules you have in this system and what are the exact bios settings you have set for CPU and memory?
I only have the #'s of what I have on hand now. GL5124000DC and GL1GB4000DC. Right now I have in the PC the latter. The GL5124000DC is what worked @280mhz, 2.5-4-4-7.

I've already covered the BIOS settings in previous posts but if you need to know something more specific, please let me know. I have changed around each and ALL of them that had anything to do with the CPU and memory and the TWINX2048-4400 Pro never worked @275mhz. I even turned off PAM and that "turbo" setting in another area of the BIOS.

Corsair received my memory Friday, so hopefully they sent out new modules Friday or Monday.

Last edited by Clint H.; 04-25-2006 at 12:01 PM.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 247135

When you install the new modules which did ship today I think if you are the one I spoke to this morning. Please go to bios setup with just our modules installed and load setup defaults and then set the correct settings for your modules, and you can get that from the link in my signature.

Old 04-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 247343

Quote:
When you install the new modules which did ship today I think if you are the one I spoke to this morning. Please go to bios setup with just our modules installed and load setup defaults and then set the correct settings for your modules, and you can get that from the link in my signature.
Yep, Tina called me back and said they had shipped (Wednesday).

BIOS defaults are not correct to get into Windows, (some not even correct for staying out of Windows), and will mess it up if it boots that way: (**all USB ports are enabled--I only need 6 enabled; *PCI video card first display--should be AGP; **serial ports enabled--I don't use them; **MIDI/game port enabled--don't use it; HD won't boot--controller is set to SATA RAID by default and I don't use RAID; *Legacy USB is enabled; *mouse & keyboard set to USB--I use PS/2; **Power management/suspend mode is enabled--I don't use it; IDE configuration is wrong; *AGP/PCI frequency is wrong; and several others, that's just a few I remember). *Foremost, is the DDR setting which cannot be set to "Auto" (which is default) because it uses a memory divider and underclocks the memory, so it has to be set to "DDR400" so memory used will run its default speed; and *more so is the system bus (in this case) has to be set to 275mhz instead of the 200mhz default.

*These settings affect DOS/not even going into Windows, so these have to be changed even if you won't boot into Windows.
**The others suck up more IRQ's in Windows when they are enabled causing you to have to reinstall several drivers, not to mention causing more IRQ sharing.

So, other than changing these items*, everything else can be default if I don't plan on going into XP.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 247379

Please use these settings after you load setup defaults:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU Freq: 275 MHz
AGP/PCI FReq: 66/33
Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400
Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts (but if you over clock 2.85 Volts)
Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR
Legacy USB: Disabled
SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T
AC 97 Audio Disabled
MIDI Disabled
Full Screen Logo: Disabled.
Then test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 247443

Quote:
Please use these settings after you load setup defaults:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU Freq: 275 MHz
AGP/PCI FReq: 66/33
Memory Frequency: 100%/DDR400
Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts (but if you over clock 2.85 Volts)
Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR
Legacy USB: Disabled
SDRAM CAS Latency: 3T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T
AC 97 Audio Disabled
MIDI Disabled
Full Screen Logo: Disabled.
Then test the modules one at a time with www.memtest.org.
Those were all the settings I used before, except for the audio was enabled. It has to of course be enabled for Windows, so why do you recommend disabling it? (I hate that full screen logo and that's the first thing I disable in BIOS's!)

BTW, regarding "Resulting Frequency: 200MHz/400DDR", that won't be the case when the FSB is set to 275mhz.

That memory frequency setting in Asus P4 mobo's is rather misleading, I guess because all HT P4's use the quad-pumped 200mhz bus, which is PC3200/DDR400 memory. The BIOS entries are "Auto", "DDR266", "DDR333" and "DDR400", and what the latter indicates (when using 200mhz bus P4's) regardless of memory speed, is that memory will simply run its rated bandwidth without any divider.
Clint

Old 05-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 247701

Yes with P4 MB's the memory frequency is actually a divider setting and setting it to DDR400/200MHz will run the memory 1-1 or 100% of the CPU FSB!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:39 AM
DJManiac's PC Specs

POST ID # = 252984
DJManiac Reputation: 10

@Clint: Do you fund any solution now? How does the replaced ram running? Sounds for me I have the same problem like you....

Old 06-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Clint H.'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 252986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJManiac
@Clint: Do you fund any solution now? How does the replaced ram running? Sounds for me I have the same problem like you....
What problems are you having exactly?

The replacement RAM I received is much better. I have not been able yet to give it the FULL go-through because of some "priority changes", death in the family, etc. But from what I did do, I found this text I'll paste below I was going to post here when I was completed with it, and apparently I DID post it somewhere since I mentioned a screenshot in it, but I can't remember where now I posted nor where the screenshot is! I also got a new NB cooler ( http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...M%20Blue%20Ice ), and the "Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev. 3" and I haven't run the tests again since I added those. I thought they may help. (That NB cooler DESTROYED my friggin mobo!! So that put me down several days. I'm going to "sue" Cooler Master over the damage, downtime and hours it took me to fix it. Those idiots put only TWO retention clips on the cooler, and even an idiot knows that TWO clips are going to be under TWICE the force and stress as FOUR clips--which is what they SHOULD have used! It ripped my mobo's retention clip clean out the mobo, and with such force the clip hit me in the side of head like a pellet from a pellet gun!! Thank God I was next to the PC when that happened, if I would not have been it would fried my mobo since the entire cooler fell off! It also landed on top my video card and shorted it out! And that after it took about 2 hours to install it due to not having sufficient room!! Since I have about 11 miles of wiring in my case for 8 fan sensors; 11 temperature sensors; 23 fans; and other items, it took forever just to remove the #%$@ mobo, and install it back again! I resoldered all 4 retention posts, 8 solder pads total, to make sure ALL of them were really strong, and in the event I could come up with another 2 clips for the cooler). (Luckily I found the clip that hit me). Ok, that was a lot of info, ;) but hopefully others will learn from that and NOT USE these types of microcephalic coolers with only TWO clips!

Anyway, here's the text:
----------------------------
Now, the new info. I got the new Corsair sticks in and they are much better. With the Vcore set to a really high 1.625v, and Vdimm @2.75v, I ran SIX FULL passes on WMD with not a single error nor lockup. When Vcore was 1.6v or less, it did not fair as well, so WMD needs 1.625v Vcore in my case. Now on MemTest, I ran repeated loops of test 5 and it completed NINE PASSES of test 5 successfully with not a single error. However, on the 10th pass, errors began and continued on the 11th THRU 15th pass, where it froze up again on the 15th pass! Very odd errors too, take a look at the screen image (below) [I need to find that screenshot]. Note the locations where the errors occurred, all less than 1mb, and look at the "Good" and "Bad" columns--only 1 digit difference and it's the exact SAME digit AND location! (FWTW).
-------------------------

My thinking was I guess was it could be possible the NB chipset was getting a bit warm during the tests, and since it was the warmest part of my PC, a good (ha ha) cooler couldn't hurt (YEAH, RIGHT!). But the cooler is working good now, a lot cooler. I previously had a temp. sensor on in the NB HS, this time I slid it the sensor UNDERNEATH the HS up to the NB chip core, and it's still cooler than it was before, so I KNOW it's working great. Now for the video card cooler, also with it I thought it may be possible it was getting a bit warm during the tests. The only place I had a sensor on it was reverse of the core with a "bulb-type" sensor, so I'm sure it was getting a bit hotter than the sensor read. This time with it, I also put a flat type sensor underneath the HS next to the core, and it's running really cool too.

Last edited by Clint H.; 06-20-2006 at 11:09 AM.