The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312098
DerekT Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
there is no reason to be talking about other memory on our forum.
Pretty much says it all.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
KingRoLo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312112
KingRoLo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezn View Post
Hey mate

How come you haven't tried the 0701 BIOS yet? I know it's beta and all, but I haven't been able to see any changes apart from the increased stability. It's not like you're committing to anything, you can always flash back to the original BIOS without a trace of ever having anything else flashed. Hearing how your machine is running for half a day at default settings, I'm thinking there's a really good chance this BIOS may be what'll make it stable.

How are you testing to see if it's stable by the way? Memtest86+ is an awesome tool for the job, nothing better to spot memory problems.

I don't think you have to worry too much about the blanking out of brand names. It is after all a Corsair forum, and I guess they just reserve the right to only promote their own products on the site
Well now i am completely at a loss, i am now using the Beta 0701 BIOS and within an hour the system froze again. So I restart and have been using the pc for a few hours after that, playing games, rendering out a hefty scene in studio max. then sisoft sandra benchmark, no freezing - nothing. I even ran memtest86 for a couple of hours, no errors. Then i watched a movie bang the system froze again.

This is what i can't understand. When i stress my system it doesnt usually fall over but when i do something not very system intensive like surf the web, open some documents, even watch an avi, this system freezes on almost any task from what could be from an 1 minute to about 8 hours of usage. Anytime inbetween this time frame.

So basicly ive had it, ive never had so many problems before. This board is going back.

Could anyone recommend me another board? one which obviously is proven in terms of stability?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:56 PM

POST ID # = 312135
Drezn Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRoLo View Post
Could anyone recommend me another board? one which obviously is proven in terms of stability?
I'm afraid the message from the other posters is that there's no help to get here. Makes sense though, it is after all a Corsair forum... I do want to help you in this strange uphill battle that is the P35 chipset, so let's continue this on the Asus forums after this post shall we?

Before we leave this thread, read through the whole thread. I'm sure you'll notice DerekT stating us it's a chipset limitation more than anything. Another board may not solve anything for you if it's got the same chipset. Apparently, four sticks of memory on this chipset is a no go without some tweaking. This may even be an issue on other chipsets as well...

I'll monitor the thread you had on the Asus board OK? I'll post my advice for you there: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Old 10-13-2007, 07:34 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312139

I'm willing to help all I can regardless of the DRAM manufacturer. As long as you do not post manufacturers it doesn't matter. Keep in mind that the testing and packaging and programming of chips is the realm of the companies but often not the actual IC maker. So, Micron chips and their designation can be used at any time. D9GMH for example, or D9GCT, etc.

I have found it far easier to just remove the issue of 4 X 1024 and move to 2 X 2048 and doubly so with the dramatic drop in DRAM prices.

I would try the drop as you have KingRoLo. Drop to 889, increase your MCH Voltage +0.5 volts. If you have Messenger, I can very likely help you test and see if this is a viable solution or if an FSB <--> MCH upclock will work.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312140
Wired Reputation: 32

Couple of things here:

Aside from what motherboard manufacturers state or don't state about how many sticks / slots / speed they will run at, don't forget to check how the memory manufacturers test and guarantee.

Memtest86+ is the only one you should be running, as the older ones aren't updated for the newer memory controllers.

As for blocking out the names of other memory manufactuers, pretty much what Ram Guy said. It's cross hardware posts like this that make me think about bringing back the houseofmobos.com though :)
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired View Post
I's cross hardware posts like this that make me think about bringing back the houseofmobos.com though :)
Hmm... Now that's a great idea there Wired.... Now we just have to move you from the thinking state --> planning stage --> implementation stage

Old 10-13-2007, 07:58 PM

POST ID # = 312142

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Hmm... Now that's a great idea there Wired.... Now we just have to move you from the thinking state --> planning stage --> implementation stage
I second that motion

Old 10-13-2007, 08:26 PM
KingRoLo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312143

Quote:
I'm willing to help all I can regardless of the DRAM manufacturer. As long as you do not post manufacturers it doesn't matter. Keep in mind that the testing and packaging and programming of chips is the realm of the companies but often not the actual IC maker. So, Micron chips and their designation can be used at any time. D9GMH for example, or D9GCT, etc.

I have found it far easier to just remove the issue of 4 X 1024 and move to 2 X 2048 and doubly so with the dramatic drop in DRAM prices.

I would try the drop as you have KingRoLo. Drop to 889, increase your MCH Voltage +0.5 volts. If you have Messenger, I can very likely help you test and see if this is a viable solution or if an FSB <--> MCH upclock will work.
Thanks, Derek. If you could pm me your MSN i'll see if you're about tommorrow if thats ok, i would very much appreciate your help if poss.

The reason I chose 4Gb is because i use my PC for work as i am a freelance designer and use memory and CPU intensive programs like Studio Max and After effects in tandem as well as video editing work. and because of this I absolutely must have a 100% stable PC.

If you are 100% sure its a 4Gb specific problem then i can live without the other two but i am very annoyied and don't know when i can actually use all 4 DIMMS again. By the time i decide to upgrade my system again i suspect 1066 DDR2 would be old hat and i will have to start all over again anyway, which makes me wonder why i bought 4Gb in the first place. As of now it appears that it was a total waste of money. And 2ndly i bought that other makers 8500 RAM specifically because its rated to go much higher than 1066 and so i bought this configuration with the intention of overclocking from 2.4 to at least 2.8 and beyond.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
DerekT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312144

PM sent. We'll see what we can do. Certainly stability is primary.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 AM

POST ID # = 312165

I hope you post the results, I'll be curious

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312190
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drezn View Post
I second that motion
Wouldn't be hard, the DB still exists, just have to update the vBulletin license and see who wants to mod it.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM
KingRoLo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312202

Why did it get closed in the first place?

Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Banned
JohntechUSA's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312420
JohntechUSA Reputation: 10

There was no traffic as I remember and we all had other duties so we merged it with another site.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
lester's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312833
lester Reputation: 10
Default Tried Swapping Banks in Pairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas7506 View Post
... Asus P5K mobo and 2x Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 1024Mb memory modules (total 4Gb).

My problem is that i get a lot of errors in Memtest86 if i run with default BIOS settings. I also tried changing timing and voltage to get the system stable, but the only thing that works seems to be to set the DRAM frequency to 667MHz...
I too have the same configuration and same problem. I've read all the other 40 some posts and have just a little more information to add.

I had followed the recommendations of another site to narrow down the problem by swapping out sticks. Each stick works perfectly alone, and in pairs. Memtest86+ only gives errors when all 4 are inserted (and stock auto MOBO settings).

I thought maybe mixing sticks from different "runs" could be a problem, so I paired them up by serial number so that banks were filled with matched pairs (if there is such a thing). Still breaks with 4 inserted.

So, I tested each pair in a different bank (A1B1 then A2B2). With 2, no problem; with 4, I get errors. BUT, here the errors definitely changed in nature. When swapping pairs between banks, the errors seem to show up earlier (lower memory and during test#3). The other way, errors show up above 2G and in Test #4 or later.

Taking the advice of others in the forum, I have set my 800 memory speed to 667 and what was failing quickly before is now running fine. But, should I consider sending in the low bank (A1B1) of sticks under warranty given the results of my swapping sticks between banks?

Last edited by lester; 10-18-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 AM
lester's PC Specs

POST ID # = 312871
lester Reputation: 10
Default ASUS P5K and 4 x 1G Sticks

Here's a follow-up. I just checked ASUS QVL list for the P5K Mobo. It says that they've verified CM2X1024-6400C4 with both banks filled. My sticks say CM2X1024-6400. What does the C4 mean and should that matter?