The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 267985
Wired Reputation: 32

XMS Qualification and Testing

Guys, Corsair has ALREADY posted the official timings for this memory in the FAQ section.

Quote:
Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-8500/C5:
Twin2x1024-8500 Data Sheet
Twin2x2048-8500C5 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
OC Operation: Disabled
NOS Operation: Disabled
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 268 MHz
PCI CLK1: Auto
PCI CLK2: Auto
DDR2 Voltage control: 2.200V
CPU Core Voltage: Auto
CPU Multiplier: 10
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T
SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
1T/2T: 2T
A1 Clock Skew: Auto
CKE: Auto
CS/ODT:1.00X
ADD/CMD:1.00X
MEMCLK:1.00X
DATA: Auto
DQS: Auto
DRAM: Auto
All other settings are motherboard defaults.
Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.2 Volts
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-06-2006, 07:56 PM

POST ID # = 267990
sluzbenik Reputation: 10

Wired, we're talking about the 6400. And in any case we need verification of ALL the timings, not just the 5-5-5-15.

I started a case with Corsair and sent a msg...The reply:
Original Message »
Currently there are issues with the P5B motherboard and manual settings with CAS 5. Asus is in the process of a BIOS that will resolve this issue.

Well, Asus didn't tell me that...I'll go bug them again I guess.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268004
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluzbenik View Post
Wired, we're talking about the 6400. And in any case we need verification of ALL the timings, not just the 5-5-5-15.
What Wired was illustrating is that Corsair does not verify ALL the timings when we validate memory on a particular MOBO. Outside of the voltage and 5,5,5,15 ALL OTHER SETTINGS SHOULD BE SET TO MOBO DEFAULTS. There is nothing to verify here. If ASUS has acknowledged the problem is theirs, please consult them on what their bios will set those timings to.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268006
Wired Reputation: 32

what he said :)

saw 8500 on rout3d's post.

Quote:
Testing parameters for Twinx/XMS2-6400:
Twin2x1024A-6400 Data Sheet
Twin2x2048-6400 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P5WD2 Premium/Deluxe
Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:
AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz
DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz
PCI Express Freq: Auto
PCI Freq: 33.33
Performance Mode: Standard
DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T
SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T
SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T
SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5
Command Rate: 2T
DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9
Chipset Core Voltage: Auto
All other settings are motherboard defaults.
Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:30 PM
rout3d's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268007
rout3d Reputation: 10
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike View Post
What Wired was illustrating is that Corsair does not verify ALL the timings when we validate memory on a particular MOBO. Outside of the voltage and 5,5,5,15 ALL OTHER SETTINGS SHOULD BE SET TO MOBO DEFAULTS. There is nothing to verify here. If ASUS has acknowledged the problem is theirs, please consult them on what their bios will set those timings to.
8500C5 / 5-5-5-15-6-42-10-10-10-10 = DEFAULT VALUES = FAILURE
8500C5 / 5-5-5-15-6-42-3-11-5-14 = SUCCESS

Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rout3d View Post
8500C5 / 5-5-5-15-6-42-10-10-10-10 = DEFAULT VALUES = FAILURE
8500C5 / 5-5-5-15-6-42-3-11-5-14 = SUCCESS
First, RAM GUY has already posted that we cannot recreate this issue in the lab. This MOBO has been tested in our lab with more than 1 set of memory. The lab report is posted for the PC6400C4.

Second, it has already been stated in this thread that ASUS has acknowledged a bios issue. Please take this issue up with ASUS if there is anything else to be done. If you have found manual settings that work then I don't see what the problem is. I do see that the problem is NOT the memory. However, we cannot force ASUS to change their bios and they will revise it in their own time.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:13 AM

POST ID # = 268077
c_fun Reputation: 10
Default Official timinf from Corsair

Now seriously, who should ASUS source their timing from ??? if not corsair ???
stop rolling ht eball into ASUS court.

btw .you mentioned that the lab report is for the 6400C4, we are dealing with the C5 pair this are DIFFRENT RAM chips inside !!! diffrent timing.

Asus will have to change the bios thats right, its on their motherboard.
but who is the offical source to provide them with ALL THE SPEC timing for these modules = the Modeule manufecturer = Corsair

now if you guys dont know where to get that from, then contact the the ACTUAL RAM chip manufecturer that was used in those modules and ask him according to his reference designs what is the FULL SPEC (this includes the rest of the timings other then teh 5-5-5-12)

ans please let us KNOW what it the OFFICIAL Corsair FULL spec timing for these modules.

Last edited by c_fun; 11-07-2006 at 03:16 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 AM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268079
ivan5150 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_fun View Post
I understand your confusion, and i will clarify.
I got the info from Timus, i think at the first thread he posted he wrote it with a 6 so i used it with a 6.
Now even though the bios was with 6 at this parameter, when i run MEMSET it reported it as 5

after u mentioend that and i saw Timus reporting it as 5 later on, i just put in the 5 and run memtest, and passed it again.

so basically i pass MEMTEST and have stanility with both 5 or 6 in that parameter.

As you said we need an offical parameter readout form RAM_GUY as these are their modules and they should have ALL the data for it
Now Im really in confusion!
1st in this thread we are talking about TWINX2048-6400 right???

I dont think so cause now i see settings and timin for 8500, for c5, etc!!

Now I just would like to know if those timing ARE correct or I've to go back to the SPD timin (that all we know is wrong) I dont want to damage somethnig.. memtest say that everything is ok but specmike now say that we MUST leave the default setting!! Please Corsair help us...

Last edited by ivan5150; 11-07-2006 at 03:28 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:52 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 268081

ASUS does not fashion a bios to work with only 1 brand of memory. Their bios is supposed to boot memory that conforms to JEDEC standards which is what is in our SPD.

Quote:
Now seriously, who should ASUS source their timing from ??? if not corsair ???
stop rolling ht eball into ASUS court.
I'm not sure what you mean about passing the ball but no one at Corsair writes bios code for ASUS. ASUS has our memory modules and can resolve the issue as they wish. Have you totally forgotten the post in this thread where ASUS reportedly assumes responsibility for the issue?

Quote:
btw .you mentioned that the lab report is for the 6400C4, we are dealing with the C5 pair this are DIFFRENT RAM chips inside !!! diffrent timing.
This issue covers more than just the 6400C4. Read the thread, I don't control who posts here.

Quote:
memtest say that everything is ok but specmike now say that we MUST leave the default setting!! Please Corsair help us...
I did not say you must leave your bios at default settings. I'm stating that we cannot recreate your issue in the lab. And, when we validate memory, we leave all bios settings other than voltage and the 4 latency timings at stock settings.

Quote:
ans please let us KNOW what it the OFFICIAL Corsair FULL spec timing for these modules
We have already provided this information many times.

I don't understand the confusion here. If you have found settings that work then what is the issue?

Old 11-07-2006, 04:54 AM
ivan5150's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268083
ivan5150 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike View Post

I don't understand the confusion here. If you have found settings that work then what is the issue?
Yeah Mike you right... We think (or better I think) that maybe those setting (that are goin well) can just damage in some way the dimms or the Mobo...

I just wonder how that guy found those setting??

I mean if RAM GUY just told us those setting, than we are all happy :), but we dont know who is this guy and how he found those timin !??

Anyway im happy with those setting and I hope that Asus just release a bios with no problem with my TWIN2X2048...

Thank You
Ivan

Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 AM
Timus's PC Specs

POST ID # = 268085
Timus Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan5150 View Post
Yeah Mike you right... We think (or better I think) that maybe those setting (that are goin well) can just damage in some way the dimms or the Mobo...

I mean if RAM GUY just told us those setting, than we are all happy :), but we dont know who is this guy and how he found those timin !??

Anyway im happy with those setting and I hope that Asus just release a bios with no problem with my TWIN2X2048...

Thank You
Ivan

Please read post http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=22
again.I explained there how to get those timing settings for the first time.
And I agree with request that we need RAM_GUY to confirm those setting.
We dont know how accurate memset program is anyway.

Sorry, I am Finnish guy,my english is poor..

Last edited by Timus; 11-07-2006 at 05:24 AM.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan5150 View Post

Thank You
Ivan
Ivan, I don't see anything in your settings here that can actually damage any components. If you set a memory setting incorrectly, you will typically either fail to boot, or be unstable, BSODs etc but no physical damage. Excessive heat and voltage are what will kill your memory and you don't have any settings that will affect that.

Timus, your English is very good. It's better than some Americans so I applaud you. It is also much better than my German. Thanks for the input here.

Believe me, we do forward info like this to ASUS and certainly provide them everything we can to help them, especially when we have users here with problems.

RAM GUY is aware of this thread. And, hopefully ASUS will quickly get a bios out to correct this. There are other issues with this bios so they do have some work to do.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:56 PM

POST ID # = 268109
Wink Specmike

Hi Specmike,
when i asked for all the settings i MENT ALL SETTINGS if its not clear enough I'll be happy to clarify.

In the P5B Deluxe RAM settings in bios there are more parameters then the ones Corsair provides

the format is as follows TOP to BOTTOM

5-5-5-15-6-42-3-11-5-14

5-5-5-15 we got that thank from Corsair thanks.
Now please provide the rest of the settings that is requierd in the bios (I marked them in Light Green)

(to the guy who was confused about 6400 / 8500 modules, there is no confusion,its just anther guys comments with a diffrent module that had experienced similar issues with his pair and he was sharing he results as well.
as Specmike said, this problem may be very typical to our mudules but is probabbly goign further into other modules, i have a guy feeling it might have a thing or to to do with all recent C5 modules regardless whether they are PC2-6400/8500 or other)

Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 268112

Hi c_fun
When I gave you all the settings, I meant that I gave you ALL the settings. If it's not clear enough I'll be happy to clarify.

I cannot explain this any clearer than it has already been explained but I'll try 1 more time.

MOBO+Memory Testing
1. Test bench is set up, tech enters bios after a CMOS reset, taps F5 key, meaning ALL SETTINGS are at bios defaults.
2. Tech enters bios Advanced sections and sets the OCing tuning functions to manual.
3. Tech sets memory voltage to module specifications. Then tech sets CAS, tRCD, tRAS, and tRP to module specifications.
4. Tech taps F10 key and runs system.

ALL OTHER SETTINGS IN BIOS ARE LEFT AT MOBO DEFAULTS

I cannot make it any clearer than that. The procedure above is the same for ANY MOBO we test regardless of platform or MOBO maker. And, since every MOBO maker makes their bios a bit differently (and also deviates from either AMD or Intel spex) we cannot possibly test every MOBO and every bios combination. So, we use the same procedure every time to insure uniformity of testing.

FROM RAM GUY:
Quote:
I dont have a cam to take a shot. And the only thing we did was turn off AI Over clock and set the memory voltage and set the timings to the tested settings! After we loaded setup defaults!
We have tried and cannot recreate the same issues you are having. Again from RAM GUY:
Quote:
I mean I have tested this MB and not been able to duplicate the problem you have reported so you either have a noisy PSU or a failing module or some other problem.
If you will reread the thread and some of your own posts, you will see some evidence that this is a bios issue:
Quote:
Now even though the bios was with 6 at this parameter, when i run MEMSET it reported it as 5

after u mentioend that and i saw Timus reporting it as 5 later on, i just put in the 5 and run memtest, and passed it again.

so basically i pass MEMTEST and have stanility with both 5 or 6 in that parameter.
This means that for some reason beyond the ability of Corsair to control, either the ASUS bios is ignoring both manual and automatic settings OR this Memset program is wrong. In either case, our specifications do not change and have been listed several times here. Asking repeatedly is not going to change our certification procedure nor will it change our answers and specifications:

XMS Qualifications and Testing

Old 11-07-2006, 05:19 PM

POST ID # = 268162
Default parametrs

Specman, you are ignoring my request
So that there would be no misunderstand

you HAVENT given me the RAM specification for the following parameters.

I'm not interested in what Asus post their as Defaults , I want Corsair OFFICIAL parameters as the Module manufacturer, if you don't know them ,ask the chip manufacturer u used to make these modules.

DRAM Write Recovery Time
DRAM TRFC
DRAM TRRD
Rank Write to Read Delay
Read to precharge Delay
Write to Precharge Delay

I haven't asked about the procedure you took in you lab here, nor do i ask whats Asus defaults, I simply ask for the specification for the module on those DRAM parameters.

If your official stance is what Asus has as Defaults is the CORRECT offical parametrs by Corsair I'll be satisfied with this as well.

Ignoring my request and posting an evasive response wont help , I know what I'm asking for and so is Corsair.