Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 AM
Hardware Junkie

POST ID # = 131945
Lidocaine Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempo36
Ok, so I applied all settings as recommended (except I set the RAM to 2.8V...and I'm afraid to drop it to 2.7) and the CPU voltage to 1.5V and slowly stepped up the multiplier until...voila! All functional! 2.208ghz cpu, 2-2-2-5 memory timings...seemingly all is rosey. My only concern is the cpu voltage...is 1.5V a safe voltage to have the voltage fixed at manually for the 3500+ cpu? I know it's pretty much the norm voltage and I think that AMD's site lists 1.5V as the max voltage for the chip, but it still makes me nervous. I'll take Ram Guy's word though that the memory can handle the 2.8V...I'm scared that if I drop it to 2.7 it'll hang, I'll have to clear the CMOS, remove the SATA and start all over with one RAM chip and build back to here...I'll post again if things remain stable (or if they don't). Feel free to send me a private message with any info about the above stuff...or just to reassure me that this isn't going to explode or not boot in the morning (well...no promises right?)
Tempo36.....you'll be AOK with the volts left as you've described....back in the Intel day, we'd send CRAZY volts(volt mods galore) to the CPU's.....some lived, and some....... Anyone here old enough to remember TURBO PLL mods

ixion....I'd like to say THANK YOU for continuing to follow this thread and "advice".........hard to find nice peeps these days.

Last edited by Lidocaine; 07-15-2004 at 09:21 AM.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 AM

POST ID # = 131951
lkHyperX Reputation: 10

why not set DDR voltage to 2.7v? Wouldn't that be safer? and say you went with 1.5v for the cpu - that shouldn't effect your RAM performance would it? I don't understand why ixion changed the cpu voltage settings to begin with.

Last edited by lkHyperX; 07-15-2004 at 10:06 AM.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:09 PM

POST ID # = 131989
Tempo36 Reputation: 10
Default CPU voltage

The reason I thought to raise the CPU voltage was because the system was running stably if I underclocked the CPU by 50%. I figured if it was having problems running at the stock frequency, a small boost to voltage might help. It's also been increasingly apparent that the A8V may have problems automatically controlling voltages across the board...memory and cpu. It seems that fixing the voltage may be the way to go (although I admit I don't like fixing the voltage...it may be necessary for some users it seems) I'm still hoping for more input if the 1.5V on the CPU and 2.8V on the memory are reasonably safe. Currently under load the CPU is about 55C and 46C at idle.

7/16/04:
Decreased voltage of memory to 2.7V. Ran memtest86 for 500% and had a mini-hang when I opened several other programs while memtest was trying to use all available memory. End result was the start bar got a bit weird until reboot. Ran Prime95 for 8 hours with no errors or warnings. Ran 3DMark30 and pulled down a score in the 15000's. Sisoft reports memory bandwidth of approximately 5930. On the list is to run memtest86 overnight sometime when I don't need to use the computer at the same time, but I'm not expecting problems after successful Prime run.

Last edited by Tempo36; 07-16-2004 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Updated progress of build

Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132056
ixion Reputation: 10

Tempo36,

That's great news. Don't worry about 1.5v for the CPU, that's the NORMAL operating voltage for this CPU. You can easily go up from there too, if you ever wanted to overclock. Also, I wouldn't worry about trying 2.7v for the RAM. I seriously doubt it'll lock up.

Make sure to run MEMTEST and Prime95 overnight to ensure that your setup is error free. On the surface, things can look good, but make sure that the RAM is not giving random errors.

ix.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 PM

POST ID # = 132270
cimerol Reputation: 10
Default Fyi....

Before I rma'd my system, i installed the 1006.004 beta bios for the a8v, dont use it! i had more errors after i installed it. when i get my system back, i will only go as far as the 1006 released bios. but hard to tell, could have just been my board because something was defective in my system.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 132275
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Please let us know!

Old 07-17-2004, 04:08 PM

POST ID # = 132383

so I should do 1.5v cpu and 2.7v DDR for my FX-53, A8V deluxe, 3200XL setup?

Old 07-18-2004, 11:46 AM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132461

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkHyperX
so I should do 1.5v cpu and 2.7v DDR for my FX-53, A8V deluxe, 3200XL setup?
Yes, and make sure to set these values manually.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:27 PM

POST ID # = 132496
cimerol Reputation: 10
Default question about XLxx series

first, ixion has been invaluable in this thread, nice job.

when i get my parts back, i am going with the XL ram, but unsure of the differences with the letters after the XL, (i.e. PRO, PT). can someone explain, and give me their preferred module?? thx.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:42 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132500

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimerol
first, ixion has been invaluable in this thread, nice job.

when i get my parts back, i am going with the XL ram, but unsure of the differences with the letters after the XL, (i.e. PRO, PT). can someone explain, and give me their preferred module?? thx.
All of the Corsair 3200XL use identical chips and are identical in performance. The only difference is the heat spreader color and whether they have activity LEDs.

3200XL – black heat spreader
3200XL PT – platinum colored heat spreader
3200XL PRO – black with activity LED’s that show how “busy” the RAM is

They all work the same. My advice, go with the cheapest. Prices fluctuate greatly. For example, when i purchased mine from Newegg, the Platinum was $40 cheaper than the other two, and two days later, it shot back up to the same price as the others.

Last edited by ixion; 07-18-2004 at 08:46 PM.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:12 PM

POST ID # = 132510
shooter99 Reputation: 10

@ixion
The Cool 'n Quiete Feature only works with the AMD Boxed heat sink, maybe this has been the reason for you temperature/vcore problem because you do not have the boxed heatsink.

I'm using the boxed heatsink and have Cool 'n Quite activated but still not installed the drivers yet and no such temperature problems until now. I'm also still considering if I should use Cool 'n Quite or not.

Another thing regarding the CPU temperature:

In Windows the Idle temp is around 40 °C, but when i'm in the BIOS it raises to 50 °C.
Is that normal? In BIOS the CPU should be Idle too normally, or not?

Old 07-19-2004, 01:17 AM

POST ID # = 132556

i can understand setting my RAM values manually, but sheesh... the cpu voltage has to be changed too! my god, looks like asus released a hella buggy mobo.

whats the BIG reason I have to set the cpu voltage to 1.5? I still dont understand after reading - sorry im a bit new at this.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:11 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132666

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter99
@ixion
The Cool 'n Quiete Feature only works with the AMD Boxed heat sink, maybe this has been the reason for you temperature/vcore problem because you do not have the boxed heatsink.

I'm using the boxed heatsink and have Cool 'n Quite activated but still not installed the drivers yet and no such temperature problems until now. I'm also still considering if I should use Cool 'n Quite or not.

Another thing regarding the CPU temperature:

In Windows the Idle temp is around 40 °C, but when i'm in the BIOS it raises to 50 °C.
Is that normal? In BIOS the CPU should be Idle too normally, or not?
Actually, Cool'n'Quiet works with any HSF. All it does is lower the CPU voltage and frequency which lowers the temperature. And with QFAN enabled, when the temps go down, the voltage applied to the CPU fan will be dropped accordingly resulting in lower RPM's on the fan.

Regarding your BIOS temp issue, do you have QFAN enabled? It sounds like what's happening is that when you're in the BIOS, the CPU fan is at a lower RPM. After you boot, the fan speeds up and lowers your temps. To verify if this is happening, in the BIOS, look at the CPU fan's RPM value (under the Power->Hardware Monitor menu) and then in Windows, look at ASUSProbe to see the CPU fan RPM.

Same applies to your case fans. Are your case fans under QFAN control? Are they at the same RPM within the BIOS and Windows?

This should give you a clue of whether it's related to the CPU/case fan's RPM... if not, then you have to figure out why the CPU is busy in the BIOS.

Also, if you're looking for an after market HSF, I'm very happy with the HT-101 and highly recommend it, it cools really well and is virtually silent.

Last edited by ixion; 07-19-2004 at 04:20 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:15 PM
ixion's PC Specs

POST ID # = 132667

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkHyperX
i can understand setting my RAM values manually, but sheesh... the cpu voltage has to be changed too! my god, looks like asus released a hella buggy mobo.

whats the BIG reason I have to set the cpu voltage to 1.5? I still dont understand after reading - sorry im a bit new at this.
The normal voltage for the A64 Socket 939 CPU is 1.5v. I found that if you let the BIOS decide, it will pick something between 1.55v and 1.6v and sometimes even higher, seems to be a bug. I found that I got the best stability with 2-2-2-5 performance only if I set the CPU voltage manually to 1.5v.

Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 PM

POST ID # = 132674
shooter99 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion
Actually, Cool'n'Quiet works with any HSF. All it does is lower the CPU voltage and frequency which lowers the temperature. And with QFAN enabled, when the temps go down, the voltage applied to the CPU fan will be dropped accordingly resulting in lower RPM's on the fan.
Quote form the manual (p. 4-20):
"This feature [Cool N' Quiet] requires the AMD CPU heatsink and fan assembly with monitor chip. If you purchased a separate heatsink and fan package, use the ASUS Q-Fan Technology feature to automaticallly adjust the CPU fan speed according to your system loading"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixion
Regarding your BIOS temp issue, do you have QFAN enabled? It sounds like what's happening is that when you're in the BIOS, the CPU fan is at a lower RPM. After you boot, the fan speeds up and lowers your temps. To verify if this is happening, in the BIOS, look at the CPU fan's RPM value (under the Power->Hardware Monitor menu) and then in Windows, look at ASUSProbe to see the CPU fan RPM.

Same applies to your case fans. Are your case fans under QFAN control? Are they at the same RPM within the BIOS and Windows?

This should give you a clue of whether it's related to the CPU/case fan's RPM... if not, then you have to figure out why the CPU is busy in the BIOS.

Also, if you're looking for an after market HSF, I'm very happy with the HT-101 and highly recommend it, it cools really well and is virtually silent.
I don't have Q-Fan enabled. The RPM of the CPU fan is quite the same in BIOS and Win. My Chassisfan is alwas at full speed cause it can't be controlled by BIOS. Seems that the CPU is more busy in the BIOS...

What are your temperatures Idle/Load? Can you notice a higher Idle-temp in BIOS than in Windows, too?