Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2019, 09:05 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021772
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx7dude View Post
BLiquid temperatures rise FAST going from 31C to 43/44C almost after 2 minutes of Aida64.
That really shouldn't happen. Run AIDA for 5 minutes or enough to heat the coolant 6-10C. Then kill the test and note how long it takes for the coolant to come back to the original point. It should drop 3-5C in the first 3-4 minutes. The last couple of degrees usually take another 5-10 min, but the point is whether it drops or not as soon as you kill the load. If it does not, it means either the entire internal case area is also the same temp as the coolant or their is a problem with the cooler and it can't expel heat. I have never seen my coolant on my H115i Pro go +10C over hours and hours, let alone 10 min of AIDA. That would be more like 4-5C on a heavily overclocked 8700K.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 PM

POST ID # = 1021775
rx7dude Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
That really shouldn't happen. Run AIDA for 5 minutes or enough to heat the coolant 6-10C. Then kill the test and note how long it takes for the coolant to come back to the original point. It should drop 3-5C in the first 3-4 minutes. The last couple of degrees usually take another 5-10 min, but the point is whether it drops or not as soon as you kill the load. If it does not, it means either the entire internal case area is also the same temp as the coolant or their is a problem with the cooler and it can't expel heat. I have never seen my coolant on my H115i Pro go +10C over hours and hours, let alone 10 min of AIDA. That would be more like 4-5C on a heavily overclocked 8700K.
Under gaming coolant will rise about 5-7 degrees then stabilise and stay there. I test by playing 1 hour of Forza Horizon 4 and coolant went from 32 to 37 and stayed there.

Not even 3 minutes into Aida64 it rises from 32 to 42/43. It does however drop quite quickly. I measured it out and it took around 6 minutes for it to drop from 43 to 35.

I've shaken the entire unit like a madman hoping any blockages would go away. Same results. Not cool, this is exactly why a NH-D15 is better. You dont have to worry about all leaks, pump failures, or blockages. Not to mention the similar/better performance, reliability and reduced noise.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:26 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021777

It doesn't seem like a blockage. The gaming coolant level is right on. It's cooling off. A blocked cooler would not - one way traffic to hot. So the only operating theory I have is either an unintended AIDA configuration in the test or we are still looking at some BIOS setting that is massively increasing activity when under a synthetic load (vs the natural load of a game). I don't typically think of AIDA as overly stressful, except perhaps FPU only tests. Which version of the stress test are you using? CPU only? Or all boxes checked (blend test)?

Old 10-19-2019, 09:32 PM

POST ID # = 1021780

Quote:
It doesn't seem like a blockage. The gaming coolant level is right on. It's cooling off. A blocked cooler would not - one way traffic to hot. So the only operating theory I have is either an unintended AIDA configuration in the test or we are still looking at some BIOS setting that is massively increasing activity when under a synthetic load (vs the natural load of a game). I don't typically think of AIDA as overly stressful, except perhaps FPU only tests. Which version of the stress test are you using? CPU only? Or all boxes checked (blend test)?
BIOS:
CPU is set to Adaptive voltage with a negative offset of -0.080. Vcore never rises more than 1.224. MCE is disabled. LLC is set to Auto. VCCIO is set to 1.05. Xmp profile 1 selected boosting ram to 3000Mhz. Nothing else has been touched.

Aida64:
Stress CPU, FPU, Cache, System memory are all checked. These were default settings.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021784

The all 4 checked is the blend test. That is what I use the majority of the time for general stability testing. That should not raise the coolant like that.

It's hard for me to assess the BIOS settings without having any time on that brand. However, I suspect you need to get off LLC auto. Usually the relevant guides or forum junkies talk about this incessantly. Asus uses a 1-7 scale for my board. I use 6 when clocked to 90-95% of maximum capability. If I were lower I would use 5. The problem with the Asus one is it spends all its time on 1 or 7/max. Synthetic load? Instant max. This usually shifts the voltage to some degree.

I don't know about negative offset vs specifically enumerated adaptive voltage with auto offset (that is how it works on Asus). So rather than guess what I think adaptive is and deduct the offset, you set the maximum and it stays there while following the curve for submaximal frequencies. Negative offsets can be difficult and require very precise tuning. Really easy to lock up/crash as lower voltages in seemingly low idle states.

I will try and run a blend test with fans off and see what happens.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:25 PM

POST ID # = 1021787

Quote:
The all 4 checked is the blend test. That is what I use the majority of the time for general stability testing. That should not raise the coolant like that.

It's hard for me to assess the BIOS settings without having any time on that brand. However, I suspect you need to get off LLC auto. Usually the relevant guides or forum junkies talk about this incessantly. Asus uses a 1-7 scale for my board. I use 6 when clocked to 90-95% of maximum capability. If I were lower I would use 5. The problem with the Asus one is it spends all its time on 1 or 7/max. Synthetic load? Instant max. This usually shifts the voltage to some degree.

I don't know about negative offset vs specifically enumerated adaptive voltage with auto offset (that is how it works on Asus). So rather than guess what I think adaptive is and deduct the offset, you set the maximum and it stays there while following the curve for submaximal frequencies. Negative offsets can be difficult and require very precise tuning. Really easy to lock up/crash as lower voltages in seemingly low idle states.

I will try and run a blend test with fans off and see what happens.
I have tried with LLC set to Normal (I think this would be level 1 or 2) but others have informed me that I should keep LLC on auto when not overclocking. My negative offset of -0.080 has not crashed or locked up. Under gaming it's fine, running 15 Cinebench R15 runs in a row is fine, Aida64 ran fine for about 10 minutes before liquid temperatures got uncomfortably hot, and normal use is fine. I'm so lost at this point and frustrated. I don't know if it's the cooler, the cpu itself, or some bios settings. I have a very strong feeling it is the cooler because I have a friend with a Hyper 212 Evo on a 8700K at 1.39 volts and THAT doesnt exceed 90C. Whereas this H115i at 1.224 volts SHOOTS to 90 and slowly rises to 92/93 within seconds. Maybe because my previous cpu was a 7600K and didnt develop near the heat of a 9700K, is why I never noticed how much the H115i was struggling. I think the pump is not flowing liquid at 3200RPM and iCue is giving a false reading.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:45 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021790

I have a dual 280mm custom loop in place right now, so I cut the fans on one rad and fixed the others at 650 to try and approximate a single 280mm loop. Coolant rise for 20 minutes was +2.9C peak. My CPU temps doing the AIDA sine wave dance between 40-60C. The AIDA blend test just isn't that heavy in watts or temperature. I don't understand what you are seeing.

Make sure you are not running AIDA and iCUE at the same time. It is possible to configure AIDA not to interact with iCUE, but when you see improbable numbers, there is a chance they are improbable. To that end, whenever you get unexpected data back from once source, get more from somewhere else. Try another stress test. OCCT would a fair wattage equivalent, but since you seem to having difficulties, try the basic stress test from CPU-Z, bench tab. It is a linear load and relatively light. Intel XTU is another possibility and slightly lighter than AIDA, but also with the wave loading. A bad cooler is bad all the time. It doesn't care what you are doing or what program is in place. Idle, load, and everywhere in between. When you see selective bad results, it likely is a selective setting we are looking for.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM

POST ID # = 1021794

Quote:
I have a dual 280mm custom loop in place right now, so I cut the fans on one rad and fixed the others at 650 to try and approximate a single 280mm loop. Coolant rise for 20 minutes was +2.9C peak. My CPU temps doing the AIDA sine wave dance between 40-60C. The AIDA blend test just isn't that heavy in watts or temperature. I don't understand what you are seeing.

Make sure you are not running AIDA and iCUE at the same time. It is possible to configure AIDA not to interact with iCUE, but when you see improbable numbers, there is a chance they are improbable. To that end, whenever you get unexpected data back from once source, get more from somewhere else. Try another stress test. OCCT would a fair wattage equivalent, but since you seem to having difficulties, try the basic stress test from CPU-Z, bench tab. It is a linear load and relatively light. Intel XTU is another possibility and slightly lighter than AIDA, but also with the wave loading. A bad cooler is bad all the time. It doesn't care what you are doing or what program is in place. Idle, load, and everywhere in between. When you see selective bad results, it likely is a selective setting we are looking for.
First of all, that's a pretty dope custom loop you got.

I'll try out intel XTU and CPU-Z stress tests tomorrow, however at this point I've just been so frustrated with AIO's and their minimal cooling differences between high end air coolers. I've pretty much made up my mind to go D15. It's not that I refuse to figure out what exactly the problem is with the H115i or a software setting, but I just want the added reliability, and lack of software you get with an air cooler. I dont want to worry about liquid temps and failures and all. So even if I do find the kink here, I'll still be going the air cooling route. However, I will let you know the results of the other stress tests as soon I do them.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:26 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021822

OK. I think it is a natural part of the process to go back to air at some point and test whether you really want the water cooling or not. However, I am concerned you are going to be looking at exactly the same issue on the air tower, possibly with less room for error. I suspect temperature is not the only factor in your decision, so perhaps that does matter quite so much. Besides, if it is not a cooler issue, then the troubleshooting is the same with either air or water.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:17 PM

POST ID # = 1023498

Quote:
OK. I think it is a natural part of the process to go back to air at some point and test whether you really want the water cooling or not. However, I am concerned you are going to be looking at exactly the same issue on the air tower, possibly with less room for error. I suspect temperature is not the only factor in your decision, so perhaps that does matter quite so much. Besides, if it is not a cooler issue, then the troubleshooting is the same with either air or water.
This thread has become old I understand. I just wanted to let you know that I swapped out my H115i for the NH-D15 chromax.black and here are my results.
H115i Extreme profile: 92 degrees in Cinebench R15 after first run
D15 Stock Bios profile: 56 degrees MAX after 10 consecutive runs.

Definitely was something wrong with my H11t5i unfortunately.

Old 11-13-2019, 01:01 AM

POST ID # = 1023766
ouroboros Reputation: 10

i got a similar issue with the H115i RGB and a 9900k
idle 28-35C and under load +100C
i9 9900k all cores @5ghz
the NH-D15 is a lot cooler actually

Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 AM

POST ID # = 1023789

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
i got a similar issue with the H115i RGB and a 9900k
idle 28-35C and under load +100C
i9 9900k all cores @5ghz
the NH-D15 is a lot cooler actually
I'm saying man! I was never impressed by the performance of my H115i even when brand new especially at those stupid loud noise levels. How this D15 runs almost dead silent yet drops temperatures by like 30 degrees is beyond me. I ran Aida64 for over an hour and never saw over 60C. My h115i hit 90C within 45 seconds lmao