The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 962199
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default iCUE 3.4.95 may cause BSOD on Windows 10

The only things I found on Windows Reliability monitor are a lot of faults related to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Corsair\CORSAIR iCUE Software\Corsair.Service.exe

This not necessary cause a BSOD but maybe.

There is anyone with similar problem?
In any case, please, can you check on your Windows Reliability Monitor if you have similar issues?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,259
POST ID # = 962206
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Can you provide some insight into the faults? You should have log entries for them.

Additionally, can you fill out your system details in "Edit System Specs"? It's extremely difficult for us to help you without that basic information.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM
Oxize Oxize is offline
Registered User
Oxize's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 30
POST ID # = 962209
Oxize Reputation: 12
Default

Only a few times i get faults with that service, but mostly when i quit iCUE. Never had a bsod. You can read out bsods with BlueScreenView from Nirsoft.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,259
POST ID # = 962215
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxize View Post
Only a few times i get faults with that service, but mostly when i quit iCUE. Never had a bsod. You can read out bsods with BlueScreenView from Nirsoft.
Yeah, these aren't BSODs but exceptions in the service. The service should auto-restart when this happens, btw.

I do think the title is a little over-the-top.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Oxize Oxize is offline
Registered User
Oxize's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 30
POST ID # = 962220
Oxize Reputation: 12
Default

Ye, most likely something else is doing that. Windows 10 dont like Generic old usb devices, or is sometimes sensitive for memory problems.

BlueScreenView will help him further with that.

If he dont have bsods, just ignore the faults your seeing in Windows Reliability Monitor. I rely more on Windows Log viewer than this monitor tool.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-05-2018, 03:11 PM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 962248
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

Thanks for you answers. I used the term "may" in the title. Probably this is misleading. I wrote only to ask if there is anyone here with similar problems.

Maybe there is a different cause but the BSOD never appens on my PC in more than 2 years. BSOD occured only after iCUE installation.
I unistalled it and I will monitor what appens for some time.
Anyway the presence of a lot of errors related to a service it is not a good thing and you can't exclude that this can drive to a system hang or a BSOD.

The BSOD it is probably related to drivers: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL ->ntoskrnl.exe

Anyway here my PC configuration:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1803
Drivers: all drivers provided by Microsoft

Motherboard: Gygabyte Z170X Gaming 7
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3200
Processor: Core i7 6700k (no overclock)
Videocard: XFX Fury Liquid
SSD: ADATA SX8200 480Gbyte M.2 NVME + 2x Samsung EVO 860
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB
Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB

Thanks

Last edited by Sandokan71; 07-05-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2018, 05:37 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,259
POST ID # = 962263
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

A BSOD is an error, essentially, at the hardware level. It is an exception with code running at Ring 0 - priveleged execution with direct access to hardware. Most code, including most services, runs in Ring 3 - the is protected mode and there is no direct access to hardware. Most BSODs are actually caused by drivers failing though it can be caused by hardware level issues as well (e.g. a component failing).

Regarding your BSOD ... correlation is not necessarily causation. You'd need to dig into the minidump to see what the cause of the BSOD actually is.

Windows is also a preemptive multitasking operating system. "Preemptive" means that the system can preempt any running thread; no single application, except the operating system, can actually take over the system. Components may hang (for example, mouse input) but the entire system hanging is usually an indication of something going wrong at a different level.

Drivers can cause both types of errors. Very few applications, even services, actually can. A Win32 service is, after all, simply an application that is started at system boot and runs (typically) without a user desktop context (even if it has a user token for permissions).

As a member of the community beta team, I've been running iCue since before it was released to the public. There certainly have been issues and they are working on the stability of the service; there's no question about that. But claiming that application errors in the service would cause a blue screen is an example of Chicken Little thinking.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 AM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 962369
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
A BSOD is an error, essentially, at the hardware level. It is an exception with code running at Ring 0 - priveleged execution with direct access to hardware. Most code, including most services, runs in Ring 3 - the is protected mode and there is no direct access to hardware. Most BSODs are actually caused by drivers failing though it can be caused by hardware level issues as well (e.g. a component failing).

Regarding your BSOD ... correlation is not necessarily causation. You'd need to dig into the minidump to see what the cause of the BSOD actually is.

Windows is also a preemptive multitasking operating system. "Preemptive" means that the system can preempt any running thread; no single application, except the operating system, can actually take over the system. Components may hang (for example, mouse input) but the entire system hanging is usually an indication of something going wrong at a different level.

Drivers can cause both types of errors. Very few applications, even services, actually can. A Win32 service is, after all, simply an application that is started at system boot and runs (typically) without a user desktop context (even if it has a user token for permissions).

As a member of the community beta team, I've been running iCue since before it was released to the public. There certainly have been issues and they are working on the stability of the service; there's no question about that. But claiming that application errors in the service would cause a blue screen is an example of Chicken Little thinking.
I have applied the Occam's razor priciple to solve the issue. I have uninstalled iCUE and there are no more BSODs. I don't have any HW fault or driver issues a part Corsair iCUE/drivers stuff.
So I have solved my issue and I can confirm 100% that in my specific case the BSODs are related with some iCUE bug/incompatibility.
I will install old CUE software and I will give a try with future iCUE software releases.

Thanks everyboby for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 PM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 962775
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

4 days without iCUE or CUE and no BSODs.
I will continue to monitor my system stability.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2018, 07:58 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,259
POST ID # = 962817
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandokan71 View Post
4 days without iCUE or CUE and no BSODs.
I will continue to monitor my system stability.
Four months with iCue and no BSODs.
I will also continue to monitor my system stability.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 962847
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Four months with iCue and no BSODs.
I will also continue to monitor my system stability.
This is probably a benefit to be a beta tester. I found your answer unusefull. Anyway I understand that you are a Corsair supporter and your opinion it is biased.
Good for you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2018, 02:25 PM
Inheritance's Avatar
Inheritance Inheritance is offline
βetα Nayn Cat
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 5,322
POST ID # = 962905
Inheritance Reputation: 41
Default

If the BSOD is reporting an error of IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL ->ntoskrnl.exe

Then it's not a problem with CUE but with Windows. Id suggests a repair of a clean install of windows.
__________________
Colors of the RAINBOW shine so bright!
USER IS NOT A CORSAIR EMPLOYEE
Come Join My Discord =(^.^)= [iCUE Guide]
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 AM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 963151
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inheritance View Post
If the BSOD is reporting an error of IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL ->ntoskrnl.exe

Then it's not a problem with CUE but with Windows. Id suggests a repair of a clean install of windows.
Thanks, probably you have right. May be that the faults are caused by other components but I think that this actually do not solve my issue. Now my PC works ok.
As I wrote my PC starts immediatly and frequently to BSODs after iCUE setup e stop to BSODs suddenly after iCUE uninstall. May be it is a Windows issue or maybe it is a fault caused by other drivers or software but there are not doubts that this faults are related to iCUE interactions.

I think but I can't confirm that iCUE setup install some drivers for keyboard, mouse and other things to read data for system monitoring (to show temps etc.). I do not know how it works and if there are some interaction with my specific system (HW, OS, drivers and other software) that can drive to a fault. Probably there are different software, drivers on the system that interacts one with each other.

Anyway at the moment I can survive without iCUE and I will wait that some iCUE, Windows or drivers update will solve the problem in future.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,259
POST ID # = 963162
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandokan71 View Post
This is probably a benefit to be a beta tester. I found your answer unusefull. Anyway I understand that you are a Corsair supporter and your opinion it is biased.
Good for you.
As a beta tester, I get the same builds as everyone else, just earlier. And we occasionally get builds that don't go out due to stability.

So ... if anything, I should get more BSODs than you do. I don't.

My point here is that it's likely not iCue but something in your system. And as a counterpoint to your over-the-top and alarmist thread title.

Corsair supporter? Sure. Biased? Perhaps. If there's a problem in iCue, would I deny it? Not a chance. I'd try to find workarounds to mitigate it. And try to help users resolve issues. But you'll notice that I will say - clearly and openly - when there are known issues.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Sandokan71 Sandokan71 is offline
Registered User
Sandokan71's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
POST ID # = 963170
Sandokan71 Reputation: 10
Default

There are other peoples with a really similar situation here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Corsair/com...ng_pc_crashes/


This user have also my same Corsair Keyboard and Mouse. [edit] there are also other peoples with other Corsair devices

Last edited by Sandokan71; 07-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bsod, icue

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.