The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Utility Engine (CUE) 1.x and 2.x

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2015, 08:19 AM

POST ID # = 775047
idlikemymoney3 Reputation: 10
Default K95 flickers

A colleague has the following problem with a K95. Oh, how brief the joy about that update was.
Can anyone reproduce this?

Set all keys to white.
Create a gradient effect from #00007f to white (many variations seem to work).
Apply that effect, set it to start on key press.

Now press a key and watch the whole keyboard slightly flicker for as long as the gradient effect is active.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 AM

POST ID # = 775051
Terrum Reputation: 10

I am having this issue also. It's odd because the flickering for me also seems to change the whole keyboard colour from blue, pink to purple, etc. It only seems to happen with 16.8m enabled however. Hope there is a fix soon

Old 04-25-2015, 08:32 AM
Keyboard Kommando
Kommando Kodiak's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775053
Kommando Kodiak Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair James View Post
Each of us see colors differently so you may or may not perceive a huge difference with 16.8 million color mode enabled. Visit our forums, load up a few profiles and see for yourself. Hopefully you like what you see. Similarly, some users may notice flicker in some combination of effects. While reducing flicker is possible, this would have impacted the keyboard response time. Performance is top priority at Corsair and we made the decision to keep the advance lighting options available despite some side effects. We hope you agree and if you find the flicker objectionable, you can revert to the original color mode for certain lighting profiles.
[edit by admin: fixed quote so the source is clear]

Last edited by Technobeard; 04-26-2015 at 01:07 AM. Reason: fixed quote so the source is clear

Old 04-25-2015, 02:43 PM
stevvie's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775182
stevvie Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando Kodiak View Post
Quote:
Each of us see colors differently so you may or may not perceive a huge difference with 16.8 million color mode enabled. Visit our forums, load up a few profiles and see for yourself. Hopefully you like what you see. Similarly, some users may notice flicker in some combination of effects. While reducing flicker is possible, this would have impacted the keyboard response time. Performance is top priority at Corsair and we made the decision to keep the advance lighting options available despite some side effects. We hope you agree and if you find the flicker objectionable, you can revert to the original color mode for certain lighting profiles.
Basically Corsair are blaming us for seeing the flicker that WASNT there before.
My mate Razer Blackwidow Chroma RGB does NOT flicker, it's not as nice to use as this but this new flicker limits the possibilities now.

Last edited by Technobeard; 04-26-2015 at 01:08 AM. Reason: fixed inside quote

Old 04-25-2015, 07:30 PM
XpireD's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775276
XpireD Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevvie View Post
Basically Corsair are blaming us for seeing the flicker that WASNT there before.
My mate Razer Blackwidow Chroma RGB does NOT flicker, it's not as nice to use as this but this new flicker limits the possibilities now.
There definitely is a flicker since the update. Mine seems to be creating its own effects now. Disable the 16.8m colour mode and everything will be back to normal

Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 AM

POST ID # = 775086
idlikemymoney3 Reputation: 10

Didn't even think of checking over there. Oh, well.
Either way it's brilliant. Enjoy your flickering keyboards. Was totally worth the wait.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:24 AM
ScarredMecha's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775114
ScarredMecha Reputation: 14

Yup. The lighting on 16.8m color mode tends to be quite flickery, unfortunately.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:53 AM
ArtGranda's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775132
ArtGranda Reputation: 12

I'm just not seeing this flickering. I've set the entire keyboard black and used a gradient to all white, over 4 seconds, and then back to black. Smooth as glass, no flickering at all. I can spread out the effect to 20 seconds overall, same result. Even at 40 total seconds (20 to full white and 20 back to full black) I can't see, or discern, a single transition between colors.

This K65 RGB profile below now puts 87 different shades of white on the keys at the same time (or at least 6-bits color for each Red, Green, and Blue), where before it only displayed 8 (including black, or 3-bit color each for Red, Green, and Blue). I don't have enough physical keys to display 128 different shades, so we may even have 7-bit colors now. Seeing as 16.8 million total is the goal, which is 8-bit ... I think it's pretty safe to say that you are now in possession of your 16.8 million colors.
Attached Files
File Type: prf colortest.prf (35.5 KB, 260 views)
File Type: prf Breathing.prf (17.1 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by ArtGranda; 04-25-2015 at 12:03 PM.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:25 PM
ArtGranda's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775160
ArtGranda Reputation: 12

Is anyone else experiencing flickering colors using Ripple and Wave effects? While Gradient appears to be 100% 16.8m functional, the other two effects types appear to still be the old code.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Jucko13's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775531
Jucko13 Reputation: 10

Ok, I just found out why (I think) the keyboard is flickering with the new update. What they did to achieve the 16.8m colors is to change the protocol (not that much tho). What they previously did was sending a 64byte packet 5 times with all the RGB codes. When you select the 16.8m color option in the GUI of corsair it will send 12 packets of 64bytes.

They use a bulkmessage to send the 12 packets as fast as posible but the hardware cant really handle that much information at the same time. What i did in my own software is add a really small delay (5 milliseconds) between every 4 packets (so 3x a delay) and that removed the flickering for my software.

maybe someone from corsair is reading this and can fix it by just a little software update ;)

Here is a screenshot of the simple GUI i made (just for programming profiles when im not at home)http://i.imgur.com/BDYba5V.png

Last edited by Jucko13; 04-26-2015 at 07:33 PM. Reason: srry little typo in the numbers

Old 04-26-2015, 08:36 PM

POST ID # = 775541
Terrum Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucko13 View Post
Ok, I just found out why (I think) the keyboard is flickering with the new update. What they did to achieve the 16.8m colors is to change the protocol (not that much tho). What they previously did was sending a 64byte packet 5 times with all the RGB codes. When you select the 16.8m color option in the GUI of corsair it will send 12 packets of 64bytes.

They use a bulkmessage to send the 12 packets as fast as posible but the hardware cant really handle that much information at the same time. What i did in my own software is add a really small delay (5 milliseconds) between every 4 packets (so 3x a delay) and that removed the flickering for my software.

maybe someone from corsair is reading this and can fix it by just a little software update ;)

Here is a screenshot of the simple GUI i made (just for programming profiles when im not at home)http://i.imgur.com/BDYba5V.png
If this really does fix it, I hope Corsair can provide a fix then - seeing posts on other threads that say it's a hardware fault I knew it wasn't true. Corsair should hire you

Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 AM
iCUE Product Manager

POST ID # = 775575
Corsair James Reputation: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucko13 View Post

You are correct in that we did implement a new USB protocol to apply 16.8m colors AND fix the malfunction issue. However, the flicker is unrelated to what you're suggesting.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Jucko13's PC Specs

POST ID # = 775657
Jucko13 Reputation: 10

Quote:
You are correct in that we did implement a new USB protocol to apply 16.8m colors AND fix the malfunction issue. However, the flicker is unrelated to what you're suggesting.
I'm very sorry to hear that. At this moment I only can play the guessing game to fix some things.

What i can say is that the flickering in my software is not always there anymore and it is definitely not scrambling colors during an simple animation like the people showing on youtube.

But the flickering is not completely gone, thats for sure.

I really need more information and I know that is very difficult to give. Maybe I need to dig more into the hardware but its all about the implementation of the hardware and the software combined so the software needs to be checked too (something I do not know how yet).

Anyways, It's an awesome keyboard and the 512 colors is ok for me, altough it would be nice to have smoother animations Keep up the good work!

Almost forgot: The flickering only occurs when sending data to the keyboard. setting the colors once and no animations will prevent it from flickering?

Last edited by Jucko13; 04-27-2015 at 07:54 AM. Reason: srry forgot something

Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM

POST ID # = 775708
goomonster3 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Couldn't you just tell us what is causing the flickering seeing as your team isn't doing anything to fix it, so your customers have to?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM

POST ID # = 775775
Proffo Reputation: 8

So it seems that the choice of LED driver chips could have been better.

Apparently, another RGB keyboard is capable of smooth 16.8 million colour animation. I suspect, or would hope, that Corsair engineers are dismantling one right now for a close look at how they managed it.