Corsair Community

i160 fan replacement

i just replaced stock fan with noctua nf-a14 ippc-2000 pwm , but it only work 0 or 100% , on default fan curve it doesnt work at all, or maybe it turns on ever 10mins when temps already reach 60degrees on idle, on extreme it work fine at 2k rpm, but i would like to use it on stock fancurve, anyone has any ideas why its not working?

I'm using the exact same fan on my i160 and it works fine. Just plugged it in and it worked with the stock fan curve. I didn't try to tweak anything.

FYI - I don't think it cools any better than the Corsair fan that came with my unit. I do prefer its pitch at high speed -- both fans are equally quiet, but the Noctua's pitch is a bit lower and easier on my particular ears than the Corsair fan. But they both cool the same and are equally quiet.

Edited by Queeg

I'm using the exact same fan on my i160 and it works fine. Just plugged it in and it worked with the stock fan curve. I didn't try to tweak anything.

FYI - I don't think it cools any better than the Corsair fan that came with my unit. I do prefer its pitch at high speed -- both fans are equally quiet, but the Noctua's pitch is a bit lower and easier on my particular ears than the Corsair fan. But they both cool the same and are equally quiet.

do you maybe still have the fan box? could you snap a pic of the back side with the informationa, maybe i bought a wrong one..

Actually, I was wrong. I have a Noctua 2000 RPM model in a box (I thought it was in my PC). Turns out I have a Noctua NF-A14-PWM chromax.black.swap 1500 RPM model in my PC. This: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-chromax-Black-swap-Premium/dp/B07655KF5C

So it's basically the same speed as the stock Corsair fan, which itself is a very good fan. I just prefer the noise profile of the Noctua fan; it's not quieter per se, just a bit lower pitch at full speed, which plays better with my ears.

Bottom line: I went with the same RPM fan, just a different brand for noise pitch level. Performance is very similar to the stock fan. I decided not to go with a higher speed fan because I wanted keep the noise level to a minimum. Truth be told, the Noctua and Corsair fans are equally good in this system. I'm thinking of putting the Corsair back in, though, just to to see if there's really the difference I thought there was.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Actually, I was wrong. I have a Noctua 2000 RPM model in a box (I thought it was in my PC). Turns out I have a Noctua NF-A14-PWM chromax.black.swap 1500 RPM model in my PC. This: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A14-PWM-chromax-Black-swap-Premium/dp/B07655KF5C

So it's basically the same speed as the stock Corsair fan, which itself is a very good fan. I just prefer the noise profile of the Noctua fan; it's not quieter per se, just a bit lower pitch at full speed, which plays better with my ears.

Bottom line: I went with the same RPM fan, just a different brand for noise pitch level. Performance is very similar to the stock fan. I decided not to go with a higher speed fan because I wanted keep the noise level to a minimum. Truth be told, the Noctua and Corsair fans are equally good in this system. I'm thinking of putting the Corsair back in, though, just to to see if there's really the difference I thought there was.

Sorry for the false alarm.

but the 2000 rpm one still worked for you with fan curve oit of the box?

I tried the 2000 RPM Noctua fan and got the same results you reported. I didn't spend too much time with the fan curve, but I wasn't able get anything but 0% or 100%.

And, FYI, I reinstalled the stock Corsair fan and was really impressed (and surprised) at the result. I think maybe I experienced some placebo effect with the Noctua fan - I "upgraded" to it, so it must be better, right? Well, I was wrong. The Corsair fan is quieter and cools every bit as well -- maybe even a bit better. So, my apologies to Corsair for doubting them. Unless you have a strong reason to change the fan, my advice would be to leave it alone.

Also, after a year of use, there was very little dust inside the machine. Given the in-the-sides-and-out-the top single fan design, I expected a bit of a dust magnet, but it was very clean. Hardly anything to remove. The biggest concentration was a bit of dust at the outtake fan.

The more I use this machine, the more I'm impressed with the design. Most of us here have built PCs in the past and we have a tendency to want to tweak things. But, honestly, there's very little Corsair could have done better with this design.

Edited by Queeg

I tried the 2000 RPM Noctua fan and got the same results you reported. I didn't spend too much time with the fan curve, but I wasn't able get anything but 0% or 100%.

And, FYI, I reinstalled the stock Corsair fan and was really impressed (and surprised) at the result. I think maybe I experienced some placebo effect with the Noctua fan - I "upgraded" to it, so it must be better, right? Well, I was wrong. The Corsair fan is quieter and cools every bit as well -- maybe even a bit better. So, my apologies to Corsair for doubting them. Unless you have a strong reason to change the fan, my advice would be to leave it alone.

Also, after a year of use, there was very little dust inside the machine. Given the in-the-sides-and-out-the top single fan design, I expected a bit of a dust magnet, but it was very clean. Hardly anything to remove. The biggest concentration was a bit of dust at the outtake fan.

The more I use this machine, the more I'm impressed with the design. Most of us here have built PCs in the past and we have a tendency to want to tweak things. But, honestly, there's very little Corsair could have done better with this design.

that is interesting, i already returned the one i had, guess i wont be ordering a new one after all, wair how jay2cent got a 2000rpm one working, but it was corsair LM. i just wanted something to cool abit better, 2000rpm corsair LM will still be better than 1500rpm. you cant really overclock this macine on stock motherboard so not like i need some serious cooling, i play warzone maxed, gpu overclocked and cpu at bios OC settings (4.8) and i get 60-65c while gaming which is totally awesome, im afraid for summer that wont be enough. thats why i want to go for 2000rpm , as i dont have an ac in mny room and i can get toasty

I installed this one in my C1 i160, Corsair ML140 Pro LED, Red, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan CO-9050047-WW.

Works fine 400 - 2000 RPM PWM control, and like the red LEDs.

Little more CFM than the stock fan, and quiet for the CFM.

thank you, i just ordered this fan but without the led(didnt have any here in my country) , does the temps go down? jayz2cent changed fans stock to this lm140pro and said 5-7 degress drop, would u say thats true? (on max ofc)

Just an update, went to pick up another noctua (same one), it works now..

i realitzed i needed to reinstall corsair icue for the new fans to work properly, the firest noctua i ordered and later returned was fine.. i cam to this conclusion when my stock fan started acting the same 0 or 100%, after all the bios resets and stuff ,reinstalling icue fixed it. so yeah all pwm work.. just need to reinstall icue. :D

Just an update, went to pick up another noctua (same one), it works now..

i realitzed i needed to reinstall corsair icue for the new fans to work properly, the firest noctua i ordered and later returned was fine.. i cam to this conclusion when my stock fan started acting the same 0 or 100%, after all the bios resets and stuff ,reinstalling icue fixed it. so yeah all pwm work.. just need to reinstall icue. :D

Question: How often does the new fan hit 2000 RPM? The stock fan on mine is only really noticeably loud when it hits 1450-1500 RPM when under full load - like a graphics heavy game. In those situations, does the new fan ramp up all the way to 2000 or does it level off lower? In other words, say you're playing a graphics heavy game - does the new fan shoot straight to 2000 or does it level off lower? I'm more concerned about noise than cooling, especially if it's only a couple of degrees. Thanks.

Question: How often does the new fan hit 2000 RPM? The stock fan on mine is only really noticeably loud when it hits 1450-1500 RPM when under full load - like a graphics heavy game. In those situations, does the new fan ramp up all the way to 2000 or does it level off lower? In other words, say you're playing a graphics heavy game - does the new fan shoot straight to 2000 or does it level off lower? I'm more concerned about noise than cooling, especially if it's only a couple of degrees. Thanks.

to be fair i use custom can curve(40-50%) when not doing much, than i switch to extreme profile(max fan) when i start playing games.i dont like how default turns on quite late because water temp goes up slower than acual cpu temp. ill test today playing on default and ill report back the fan speed/noise, the fan on max is of course pretty loud, but since i only use it for gaming and i use top tier headphones i dont hear it at all, for the temps, it does lower them by quite a bit, i cant really do any concrete testings but id say 6-10degress less.

Edited by FlawlezzJaxy

I have no idea if better temps. I replaced just after purchased for the hell of it.

Better specs and both Corsair, so it should move more air than stock, well almost guaranteed! Dont know how much improves cooling, but I liked the LEDs on the fan too! Mostly because makes it easier to see the fan spinning at low speed. Love the computer and is the first built desktop I have purchased since my AMD 40 mhz rig back in the day.

• 1 month later...

Can confirm the ML140 works fine in the C1.

Fan curves all still work, obviously its slightly higher that the standard fan speeds and this reflects in the curve giving slightly better cooling.

On idle (and fan at lowest speed, 428 rpm) my temps are:

CPU coolant 28.9

CPU Package 31

RTX 2080

GPUcoolant 32.9

GPU 36

Hope this helps

edit: Ambient temp was 18.7!

Edited by nodezeon

• 7 months later...

I'm pretty excited, thanks all for the feedback. I order the below and will compare both this weekend.

Corsair ML140 Pro LED, Red, 140mm Premium Magnetic Levitation Cooling Fan (CO-9050047-WW)

Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-2000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 2000 RPM (140mm, Black)

Since I upgraded my Nvme to a 970 Plus, my temps are going up. When playing I can have my Nvme going up to 80c ! even with the fan at full speed.

• 2 months later...
So I tried both and decided to keep the Noctua. I could use the extra 150 rpm but also I felt it was a little more silent at 1100rpm which is my default setting.

They are both great anyway and I did like the LED stuff but Noctua won it still

For the 140mm RGB fan, where do you plug in the RGB cable?