Corsair Community

H100i Leak

M00

I turned my computer on tonight and noticed than one of the fans in my case was going crazy.

I opened up hardware monitor to see what was going on. It was one of my GTX780 graphics cards. The monitor said it was going from 0RPM to 30000000RPM (obviously not possible) every 5 seconds despite the fact that it was at a constant 30 degrees Celsius. This had me quite worried so I turned off my PC and opened it up to have a look what was going on.

My h100i has leaked quite a lot of liquid out of one of the hose connections closest to the rad. This liquid has gone down the outside of the hose and all through my 2 GTX780s. I immediately took everything out to try and prevent any further damage. My graphics cards are filled with this liquid. It went through the top one and into the bottom one as well.

I purchased and installed the water cooler according to the instructions on the 22nd of October 2013 and it has been working fine until tonight.

What are my options at this point? Will Corsair pay for the damage done to my system? These graphics cards cost me $869AUD each. I live in Western Australia so I would imagine it would be quite expensive to ship all this stuff over to the USA. Will the local store I purchased them from be able to do anything?

There are lot's of posts here indicating that Corsair will cover consequential damage due to leaking units. You'll probably have to go the route of sending your damaged graphics cards so that they can assess the damage for themselves.

On a personal note, I went back to air cooling as I noticed moisture in my system prior to a catastrophic blow-out.

I trust someone from Corsair or those that are considered forum helpers will respond and let you know how to proceed.

Good luck!

What are my options at this point? Will Corsair pay for the damage done to my system? These graphics cards cost me $869AUD each. I live in Western Australia so I would imagine it would be quite expensive to ship all this stuff over to the USA. Will the local store I purchased them from be able to do anything?

Sorry to see this M00. What you can do is request an RMA for your cooler and explain what has happened and that you would like to request a damage claim form at the same time. Make sure you take pics of the leaks or affected areas if you havent already.

Your cards could actually be fine. I would clean them up good with 90% rubbing alcohol and then let them dry for a day or so. Then tests appropriately. Same goes for the MB. But if you are sure they are bad, then just follow the instructions that will be sent to you.

And in the mean time please post your case number here too.

I live in Western Australia so I would imagine it would be quite expensive to ship all this stuff over to the USA. Will the local store I purchased them from be able to do anything?

Sorry, no , your local store wouldn't be able to do anything as far as any sort of damage claim is concerned. But you wouldn't have to send them to the US either though. Generally you would be instructed to send them to one of three hubs located around the world. Unless they give you special instructions which is also a possibility, but they will work that out with you through the RMA process.

Wow, stuff like this scares the crap out of me..Seriously thinking of going back to air cooling!

theres a risk to water cooling,modding a computer in any form carry's a risk

you just need to weigh the pro's and cons

even overclocking has a risk to name just one

way i look at it is if it lasts a year then its time for a upgrade and a leak just gives you a reason to;):

theres a risk to water cooling,modding a computer in any form carry's a risk

you just need to weigh the pro's and cons

even overclocking has a risk to name just one

way i look at it is if it lasts a year then its time for a upgrade and a leak just gives you a reason to;):

Corsair seems to stand behind their product so that is always good too!

I purchased my H100i at the end of Oct 2013 as well! Obviously, it doesn't mean our batches are similar but is there any way to check proactively if there ios an issue, or you just gotta wait for the watery explosion :S

there is no defective batch problem,a leak is a random issue

Corsair seems to stand behind their product so that is always good too!

one of the best,if not the best

thanks wytnyt, that's what i thought but it seemed a lot of ppl are talking about it.

i personally haven't had any issues with mounting, temps, or noise (other thank corsair link not working at all but that's a known issue), very happy with the product so far, so i guess no need to panic :)

thanks

I purchased my H100i at the end of Oct 2013 as well! Obviously, it doesn't mean our batches are similar but is there any way to check proactively if there ios an issue, or you just gotta wait for the watery explosion :S

The only way is to be proactive and check periodically (often?) by visual inspection for moisture around the tubing connections, cracked tubing,pump speed, etc.

The best way to "proactively" check is to run the rad&pump system unattached (preferrably set inside a bowl or other container), and then check periodically for a day or two to see if there are any leaks. The vast majority of problems related to water-cooling systems are due to bad hose connections or hose leaks. Those will show up fairly quickly in the process of running the thing (if not immediately). After a few days, or whenever you decide, go ahead and mount the cooling unit. The only part then that might fail is the pump motor, and those usually last awhile (they have a rotational life span, but it's thousands of hours normally equating to years of use). From there, just do a visual inspection when you do your monthly cleaning/dusting of the computer (you ARE cleaning it regularly...right?!?)

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a refund on the cooler and 2 new replacement graphics cards today. For any Aussies reading this in the future this is the process I went through.

14/11/2013 - Water cooler leaked.

15/11/2013 - Called the local store in Perth that I bought the cooler from to let them know what happened.

16/11/2013 - Dropped the cooler and the graphics cards off to the store.

21/11/2013 - The store sent everything to the supplier in Perth for inspection.

6/12/2013 - I went into my local store and they gave me a refund for the cooler and 2 new graphics cards.

So all up about 3 weeks from bringing it to the store to having a replacement in my hand. The local store sorted out everything for me. I thought this was quite an acceptable time to wait and a lot better than the stuff I was told on various internet forums like that it would take 3 months and I would have to send it to Hong Kong etc.

Well I can tell you that Corsairs turn around time is not anywhere near 3 months. They really try to get those types of cases handled quickly. They know it's important to the end users. Even with a damage claim, most turn around times are less than a month total.

However I can totally see why you took the route you did.It would be a no brainier for me too. Where are you at in the land of OZ so anyone near you could possibly use the same place?

I just got a refund on the cooler and 2 new replacement graphics cards today. For any Aussies reading this in the future this is the process I went through.

14/11/2013 - Water cooler leaked.

15/11/2013 - Called the local store in Perth that I bought the cooler from to let them know what happened.

16/11/2013 - Dropped the cooler and the graphics cards off to the store.

21/11/2013 - The store sent everything to the supplier in Perth for inspection.

6/12/2013 - I went into my local store and they gave me a refund for the cooler and 2 new graphics cards.

So all up about 3 weeks from bringing it to the store to having a replacement in my hand. The local store sorted out everything for me. I thought this was quite an acceptable time to wait and a lot better than the stuff I was told on various internet forums like that it would take 3 months and I would have to send it to Hong Kong etc.

Its good to hear this MOO, i'm in Wa as well and about to install a H100i so i'll certainly watch for this.

Q

• 1 month later...

I registered only to respond to this thread. Why: because this thread comes up on top when you search google for h100i leak

The op of this thread is lucky. Very. My h100i also leaked. It leaked on my mainboard(msi mpower max z87), on the cpu power connector on the mainboard(while on), on my 2 2TB seagate barracudas, on my asus gtx770 videocard. The response of corsair(NL/EU)? Here's your new cooler! RMA closed. Thank you for choosing corsair. I'm looking at damages somewhere around 700-900 euros.

To be fair: they clearly state in their warranty that they are not liable for any damages.. Also, another point of interest: there is no official corsair response in this thread. That's another give away.

In short: OP has been helped out by his local store/distributor. Most probably not corsair.

Be warned..

I registered only to respond to this thread. Why: because this thread comes up on top when you search google for h100i leak

The op of this thread is lucky. Very. My h100i also leaked. It leaked on my mainboard(msi mpower max z87), on the cpu power connector on the mainboard(while on), on my 2 2TB seagate barracudas, on my asus gtx770 videocard. The response of corsair(NL/EU)? Here's your new cooler! RMA closed. Thank you for choosing corsair. I'm looking at damages somewhere around 700-900 euros.

To be fair: they clearly state in their warranty that they are not liable for any damages.. Also, another point of interest: there is no official corsair response in this thread. That's another give away.

In short: OP has been helped out by his local store/distributor. Most probably not corsair.

Be warned..

theres really nothing to be warned about

this is standard policy across the board for every business to have the same policy

when a user delves in the realm of water cooling then its a risk accepted.

its actually a necessary policy as theres no way to tell how the products is being handled/managed

its most unfortunate when this happens but its one risk i personally accept as using air blows...;):

Put one of these in your water cooled PC

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RWD41-Water-Defense-Sensing/dp/B0049U3XE2/

I have these around the house. They are very sensitive. The whole length of the wire detects moisture. I have an extra one. I think I just found a use for it :D

i have a similiar one used on my sump pump,if it detects moisture it calls my cell phone

be neat for the pc

Be warned..

Sorry, this is farthest from the truth . While Corsair is not really liable for damages, they have and will if the damage was determined to be the fault of their cooler will on a case by case basis help cover damages. But you need to work that out with them .

Archived