Corsair Community

hooking up PSU corsair link to H100i

Hecubus

I have a RM850 PSU it has a Corsair link plug

the corsair link cable plug goes into the PSU and the other end is split into one 3 pin connector and one 2 pin connector

Can I plug this into my H100i cooler?

if so, where and how do I plug this into my H100i cooler

My H100i has a several ports

one mini usb plug goes into the USB connector on my motherboard and the others have little propriety plugs that connect up my FANs.

the H100i also has a Power plug which goes to a SATA cable and it also has connector that plugs into my CPU monitor port on the motherboard.

How does this all go together summation

RM850 PSU Corsair link cable (splits into 2pin and 3pin) --->

to H100i ---->

to USB MB connector????

how do I connect the 2pin and 3pin to the cooler

Hello,

You may plug your RM PSU either

- on a USB connector, thanks to an specific adaptor (3 + 2pin -> USB)

- on a corsair Link Cooling Node (specific device you can purchase from corsair)

There's a user guide from Corsair somewhere explaining that.

I have a RM850, and choose the 2nd option. That should provide

- fan speed

- 12V rail output

Shine

I just purchased the RM750 and couldn't find much information on both the fan and C-Link.

I understand that the fan should only start on heavy load but after hours of benchmarking I have yet to see it spin. The PC does seem to be running stable mind you but its a little worrying.

The C-Link cable, as mentioned above, I have no idea where to connect them but it sounds like I need to buy an additional connector. The PSU performs fine without C-Link right? Its just for monitoring and adjusting fan speeds?

Thanks for all the help

I understand that the fan should only start on heavy load but after hours of benchmarking I have yet to see it spin.

Thats entirely possible depending on your system specs. It's also possible you may never see it spin. As long as everything is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

The C-Link cable, as mentioned above, I have no idea where to connect them but it sounds like I need to buy an additional connector. The PSU performs fine without C-Link right? Its just for monitoring and adjusting fan speeds?

It connects to a USB connection on your MB. Everything you need should be included with the PSU. But Yes, the PSU will still function without the software. If your concerned about the fan not spinning you can always create a custom fan profile in CL and make it start at a lower point.

I also have a RM850, connected on CL Cooling node.

I never saw the Fan speed reading (3 pin connector), only the 12V (12 pin connector) reading. But this one display an average 4,5A value, which is just too low.

Anyone else has this issue?

I also have a RM850, connected on CL Cooling node.

I never saw the Fan speed reading (3 pin connector), only the 12V (12 pin connector) reading. But this one display an average 4,5A value, which is just too low.

Anyone else has this issue?

The fan will not show up in the software until it turns on. With the RM outputs being analog there is no signal when the fan is off.

As for the 12v value. When it shows up initially in the system it is recognized as a temperature. If you right click on the box and select the current/power option is should track correctly when you do something power intensive (prime95, furmark, etc.).

• Corsair Employee

Guys.. it's it's all in the blog that RAM Guy linked to. ;)

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/rm_series_psu_to_corsair_link/

"...an optional Corsair Digital Bridge or a Corsair Link Cooling Node is required..."

"Link will see the +12V current measurement as a temperature. Simply right click on the “temperature” being reported, select “open config panel” and change “temperature” to “12V Rail Current sense”. It is suggested that you then rename the reading so it is easier to identify within Link.

Since the fan does not send a signal until it is spinning, it will not show up in Link initially if connected to the Cooling Node. In order to initially position and name the RM’s fan in Link, you may want to run a benchmark or burn-in program like Furmark to get the fan moving."

I was reading the FAQ about this and this what was said. So the question is what kind of connector do I need to do this? I don't want to connect the PSU into a header on the MB I want to connect the PSU into the h100i. The website indicates this can be done. Without the commander. Quote: from site----

Q: Can I connect my Corsair AXi series PSU to an H80i or H100i cooler and then connect the cooler to the USB port on my motherboard?

A: Yes, the H80i and H100i have a full duplex Corsair Link Digital port for expansion purposes. This port can either be used to plug an H80i or H100i into the Corsair Link Commander, or it can be used to add another Corsair Link device to your system, such as an AXi series power supply.

I was reading the FAQ about this and this what was said. So the question is what kind of connector do I need to do this? I don't want to connect the PSU into a header on the MB I want to connect the PSU into the h100i. The website indicates this can be done. Without the commander. Quote: from site----

Q: Can I connect my Corsair AXi series PSU to an H80i or H100i cooler and then connect the cooler to the USB port on my motherboard?

A: Yes, the H80i and H100i have a full duplex Corsair Link Digital port for expansion purposes. This port can either be used to plug an H80i or H100i into the Corsair Link Commander, or it can be used to add another Corsair Link device to your system, such as an AXi series power supply.

Yes, that is correct ! BUT,That is the AXi series... the RM's are different and will require the digital bridge that is mentioned there in the blog.

To answer your question about the connectors though. yes, they are the same "type" of connector. But it wont work without the digital bridge

• Corsair Employee
I am assuming the C link connector on the RM PSU is the same kind of C link on the AXi, or is their something I missed?

It's something you missed.

The RM isn't a digital PSU. And it outputs an analog signal. The AXi is a digital PSU with a digital output. The H100i is simply a "hub". It doesn't have any kind of analog to digital converter. And the optional analog to digital converter that's made specifically for the RM outputs only to a USB header.

That said... the 3-pin on the RM is really the same as a fan connector and the tach wire and ground are in the same position, so theoretically you can plug that into any fan header on your motherboard, etc. and monitor the RM fan speed. But the two pin connector is for the +12V current and it uses the same output signal as a thermistor. You then need Link to convert that information from a temperature reading to a current reading, but without a cooling node, I'm not sure how you would do that.

Is corsair in any kind of process of making a digital converter (like the one sold) that plugs into that kind of port on the h100i? Or perhaps a dongle to convert that existing cable from the USB header adapter - adapter > to h100i

I am out of USB ports....

Why wasn't that cord shipped with the RM850 and only with a RM1000? Does amazon sell the PSU c-link > to Digital USB header cord?

• Corsair Employee

Why wasn't that cord shipped with the RM850 and only with a RM1000? Does amazon sell the PSU c-link > to Digital USB header cord?

Because it would add to the cost of the unit and not everyone that would purchase an RM Series PSU would necessarily use Link. The RM1000 comes with it because it's already an expensive unit to begin with. The $10 cost adder for the dongle is a drop in the bucket.

That cord costs you 10 dollars? I can see selling it to people maybe, but it costs you guys an extra 10 to make it and toss it in with the RM850? Curious what the breakdown manufacturing cost is for that. I am clueless when it comes to such things.

• Corsair Employee
It's very unlikely that it costs $10, but it does cost something. If the markup to sell it separately results in a $10 retail price, there's no reason to assume it wouldn't add $10 to the retail price of the PSU. It could actually impact the price more since it would have to have a mark up from Corsair and then marked up again at whatever retailer (Amazon, Microcenter, etc). But, since it's only sold on the Corsair store, it only costs $10.

Archived