Corsair Community

HX 650V2 consistant noisy chirping PSU

GT-AUSTRALIA

Feb 2013 i had a system built for me......it was my first ever real big computer for gaming.......I had no experience with hardware and thought that this chirping noise was perhaps something that just happened with big gaming pcs.

One year later the noise was driving me crazy and decided to google pc chirping noise.....i found info about this and was about the very same PSU in my pc.

I contacted my Pc shop that built my machine asking them if they had had any complaints about this unit.

To cut a long story short I was unable to get my computer to the store and i can not be without this computer for more than 1day.

I am going crazy about this constant chirping noise every 30 secs to a minute and i have to finally do something about it......i wanna smash the computer sometimes .....:eek:.....thats how much it has an affect on me.:evil:

I have contacted my pc shop asking what can be done, even though it has been over 2 years since i bought it.

They are also aware that i contacted them in 2014 asking if it can be replaced.

I have now lodged a ticket with corsair and also awaiting email back from my pc shop......so the ball is rolling..

My problem is this.........If i am able to and i can get a replacement how will this be done......I can not be without this computer for more that 1 day.......i know i must sound like an idiot for asking you advice on this because its been so long ........but ANY advice from anyone would be great.

Thanks for reading.

GT

:cool:

The problem seems to be a batch of poor quality fans. Not all the HX650's have this issue, seems like the early models (which you seem to have being around Q1 2013)

Your unit MIGHT not be under warranty, some system builders buy OEM units to save costs. OEM units generally come with a much shorter warranty period (so 1-2 years instead of Corsair's typical 3-5 years). Plus you live in AUS which I believe have more relaxed warranty rules than say the UK (all electrical items must carry a minimum 1-year warranty). Lucky for you, you did report it early and the store has that on file so that should work in your favour :)

The problem for you is, Corsair will likely require the unit back to check themselves; a process that could take weeks.

If I were you, buy another PSU (a 500w should suffice for your components) and get the store to replace it before sending off your HX 650v2. This way you will only be without a computer for a few hours and when the new/ reconditioned unit returns you can sell it to recoup costs.

IF the store says no, here's a perfect opportunity to learn how to build/ maintain your computer yourself and save money :)

Archived