Corsair Community

Compatibility question before I start my build (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W)

Yaddah101

Less than a month ago, I purchased 2 separate pairs of DDR4, 3200Mhz, 8 GB Memory sticks. The SKU # is CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W. I got two pairs (32 GB total) because it was less expensive than getting all 4 together. Looking at some of the threads in this forum, now I can see why.

I haven't opened the boxes yet but I can see that they are all the same version (ver. 4.32). I'm doing this build (hopefully) on January 1st which is 3 days away. So here is my question:

Is it safe to assume that, since they are the same version, the Motherboard will read all four DIMMs, or should I return these and order a four pack?

There's no guarantee they will work together and I mean that in the literal sense. You are opening the door to a lot of people telling you the RAM mixing is at fault for any future issue you encounter. Now the odds are in your favor since they are the same version, but you may not be able to use XMP (not a real loss) and will need to hand set the primary timings, DRAM voltage, IO and SA voltages. And hope it works.

The other factor to consider is your goals for the kit(s). If you are going to park it at 3200 16-18-36 and leave it, things are probably OK. If you were hoping to overclock them further to 3600 and beyond, then the two kits may work against you.

Edited by c-attack

Well, I got a 32GB kit of 2x16GB sticks, same model (vengeance pro rgb), and I can't get them to work at the advertised 3200 speed. Not even 2933Mhz, the "stock" Ryzen 2xxx speed.

As soon as I enable XMP/DOCP and go to 2933 or above, I can't boot or the system freezes after a few seconds/minutes.

This is my thread:

* Vengeance Pro RGB 2x16Gb (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16) at 3200Mhz with TUF x570 and Ryzen 2700

* https://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192210

To be on the safe side you should probably specify your build (chipset and CPU) to check for compatibility. I regret not checking the part number against the QVL and Ryzen site before buying, but I didn't know better at the time, the seller didn't specify there was a compatibility issue with some RAM and AMD, neither do Corsair in their site. Didn't expect to have this kind of issues in the year (almost) 2020...

Edited by ryzenman

It turns out you were absolutely correct. When I enabled XMP, I kept getting video TDR timeout crashes. If it were not for your post, I would have thought this was a graphics card issue. However, Once I disabled XMP, the issue resolved itself.

So I can't overclock my RAM. Hopefully, this won't cause any problems when I overclock my CPU.

Thank you.

It turns out you were absolutely correct. When I enabled XMP, I kept getting video TDR timeout crashes. If it were not for your post, I would have thought this was a graphics card issue. However, Once I disabled XMP, the issue resolved itself.

So I can't overclock my RAM. Hopefully, this won't cause any problems when I overclock my CPU.

No, you probably still can up to moderate levels. You need to set the timings manually (at least the primary). Set up all your normal stuff.

Set DRAM frequency to 3200.

DRAM timing control. Enter 16, 18, 36 for the three boxes.

Further down, DRAM voltage to 1.35v.

Below that, VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.20v.

That should do it. The bios will set the secondary and tertiary timings.

Edited by c-attack