Corsair Community

New Bootable USB Flash Drive Tool - TRY ME OUT!

• 2 months later...

The DOS prompt option is very useful for using the SSD firmware flash tools.

BOOTABLE USB FLASH DRIVE TOOL

Yellowbeard, I found this a quick and easy way to load a bootable dos USB. However,I could not make the firmware update work with it. If you made it work, perhaps you could provide steps for others to follow. I ended up trying it on a pile of USB sticks, set up a mass production with two computers in case it was a certain brand or type of stick.

I kept getting "bad command", even when typing "help" commands. An Internet search gave only a few basic commands, the free DOS command page had only about 231 views, the last bunch of them me.

I finally used "Dos on USB" which worked when I used a 32bit OS and made sure to format in FAT, not FAT32. Just extract the firmware zip file to the same space on the USB as the rest of the info. Since it is a true (and free) MS DOS you can use standard commands - wikipedia has a good list.

Took me a couple of days, guess either I'm real slow or it's not that easy to use the DOS firmware update. I didn't even need it, but had no way to know.

I think Corsair should make a simple to use software tool that would just show the firmware version without having to go through the DOS thing. Then, if needed, one could go through the update process.

Anyway, thank you for the quick pendrive DOS tool!

• 5 months later...
We have posted a new bootable USB flash drive tool in our How To section. This tool has 2 default options; 1 for Memtest and 1 for a DOS prompt.

The DOS prompt option is very useful for using the SSD firmware flash tools.

BOOTABLE USB FLASH DRIVE TOOL

I followed the instructions meticulously that are in the "advanced instructions.pdf" and could not get Parted Magic to boot. Could it be that the newer version of Parted Magic (5.6) needs different options in the menu.lst?

It didn't like the (hd32) parameter for some reason.

I followed the instructions meticulously that are in the "advanced instructions.pdf" and could not get Parted Magic to boot. Could it be that the newer version of Parted Magic (5.6) needs different options in the menu.lst?

It didn't like the (hd32) parameter for some reason.

When I have some time, I'll test it. I know from personal use that it's good up to ver 5.4. I'm sick and snowed under so it may take a few days. If you can find 5.4, test it.

When I have some time, I'll test it. I know from personal use that it's good up to ver 5.4. I'm sick and snowed under so it may take a few days. If you can find 5.4, test it.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I'll look around for 5.4. I dual-boot Win 7 and Ubuntu 10.10. I wonder if I could put GParted on the USB as a menu option. Unfortunately, I don't have enough familiarity with Linux to know how to accomplish this. I could always just boot from my Ubuntu LiveCD which is on a flash drive and use GParted from there. Get well soon.

I just used this tool for the first time today and let me tell you, I have been looking for something like this for soooo long. This is the best, cleanest and neatest USB boot tool I have ever used.
That was my thought when I found the original version. I use mine almost daily when I'm doing hardware stuff. ::pirate::

I just set mine up for parted magic 5.6, you have to use this parameter:

--sectors-per-track=0

so the final version will look like this:

title Parted Magic

find --set-root /pmagic-5.6.iso

map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /pmagic-5.6.iso (hd32)

map --hook

root (hd32)

chainloader (hd32)

The same syntax will work with Gparted as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Can i use this bootable flash drive to apply the new firmware 2.0 for the Corsair Force SSD? If so how? Thanks in advance...

It's possible if you chose to install the firmware update using a "Live" Windows image. You could put the ISO of the live image onto your drive using the instructions listed above.

Not really useful since a live image should be bootable anyway, but I suppose if you don't have a CD/DVD drive then it can be useful.

I have never needed to use a live image. Do they typically come in a version to make a bootable flash drive? If not, that would be the neat part here. You could have one neat USB drive with all your tools and ISOs on it and could boot to any of them at will.

They are usually designed to be ran from a CD, but there are methods to make them bootable from a flash drive that I've never looked at.

You're right though if you put it on the USB you could easily make the ultimate all-in-one tool. Some live environments like Ultimate Boot CD already have a ton of programs built in and use GRUB as well like this one, but making your own on a USB drive offers way more flexibility and that way you can just put what you want on it.

Also more and more computers don't have optical drives anymore especially laptops, making a USB tool even more important. :)

I just set mine up for parted magic 5.6, you have to use this parameter:

--sectors-per-track=0

so the final version will look like this:

The same syntax will work with Gparted as well.

I found this out as well...the PDF guides should be updated :)

• 2 months later...

Unfortunatelly this tool is useless for me, because I use F120 SSD in my laptop (SONY VAIO VGN-Z21). After boot SSD drive always "FROZEN" (AHCI or IDE, doesn't matter) and I have to completely disassemble my laptop to access HDD bay (which takes long time).

According to this page https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase SSD can be unfrozen after sleep/wakeup. And this is the only acceptable option for me.

BUT this tool doesn't allow to enter the system to sleep state, so I use Ubuntu live CD and hdparm for secure erase.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Only problem I have is that the USB drive is then write protected - if I boot into FreeDOS, I can access the root of the stick but some of the firmware update utilities I use (namely the Dell PERC ones) need to write to the stick as part of the batch file. Have had a bootable USB stick before which was write enabled, so I'm slightly intrigued as to why it isn't!

Any ideas? Obviously the FreeDOS drive will be write protected, but the stick itself shouldn't be...

Hellraiser..........>

• 3 months later...

I have used this before a few times to secure erase my SSD but now it will not resume from sleep or possibly does but monitor does not wake up as fans start up etc.

1) Boot to USB, choose Partedmagic and then choose the fail-safe option and then choose the Nvidia option so I can get past the blank screen and see App.

2) Choose bottom option to secure erase SSD.

3) Warning states SSD is locked and putting PC to sleep and waking it again will fix this (did in past).

That is my issue, nothing has changed on my Pc but the Bios versions for Mobo and Partedmagic versions which I have now tried going all the way back to the older builds that did work.

Now on PartedMagic forum someone mentions same issue but no real help given.

Any way to remove this lock on the SSD so I can once again wipe my SSD?

EDIT: Fix it by setting SATA Port to Hot Plug in bios and unplugging SSD and plugging it in after Partedmagic was loaded.

Archived