The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256025
Sagekilla Reputation: 10
Default Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe + Corsair XMS 3200C2PT problems

I didn't know where else to post, since this is the first time i've been here so I decided to post here.

I've just built a new computer and I started having all kinds of screwy errors with it. Random reboots, BSODs, etc. I've isolated it to where I -THINK- it may be the memory. When I run Memtest+ (Version 1.65) I start to receive errors at Test #6. I've been going through and changing all kinds of settings (From the default "auto") to see if it was the problem. Unfortunately, the errors persist.

I've already RMA'd the memory once before and i'm not sure if i'll have to again.

Any suggestions? I'm currently running my setup with 1 GB of memory (I get crashes when I run it with both modules in) and I've set the memory timings to 2.5-3-3-6 and 2.75 V as the Corsair website suggests.

My current setup:
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
AMD Opteron 170
Corsair XMS 3200C2PT
XFX Geforce 7900 GT Extreme
Ultra X-Finity 600 Watt PSU
30 GB + 80 GB PATA Hard Drives
320 GB SATA Western Digital Caviar
NEC DVD-RW + CD-RW Drives
(I don't know the manufacturer of the CD-RW or the PATA hard drives)

On another note, my system seems to run perfectly fine with 1 GB of memory. I've yet to crash and running most tasks seems to be fine. I really don't want to have to use only 1 GB.

Edit: I'm starting to get errors in Windows now. Before today, the system ran perfectly fine. I'm now getting error reports from Windows. Already i've gotten them from Firefox and one of Windows' services.

Last edited by Sagekilla; 07-20-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 256114
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Your problems "could" be power related. I'm not trying to insult you but, you have an absolute JUNK power supply in an otherwise immaculate rig.

Does the amount of time you have your rig on relate to how quickly you see errors? If so, it could be the power supply could be getting flaky as it gets hotter. Have a look at your system monitoring utility and check your PSU rails.

Mike.
Old 07-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256128

No offense taken, this is my first attempt at trying to build a computer. To be honest, i'm really just a newbie at this.

In the system monitoring tool, do you mean the bios? Because I saw something sorta like that when I was checking all the settings.

If it is, i'm getting the following readings from my Hardware Monitor in the bios:

VCore: 1.392V
3.3V: 3.328V
5V: 5.080V
12V: 11.968V

When it comes to system stability vs time spent in use, I've seen little if any difference as to how the system responds. I've had the system running for almost three days straight before and it didn't have any crashes or reboots. It wasn't until this morning (When I booted it up after having it on so long) that I started to receive some of the more serious symptoms of system error reports and applications hanging while in use (In particular, Rise and Fall crashes frequently when I attempt to use it..)

Also, I didn't know that the PSU I chose was junky, are there any recommendations you can make as to a better one? I'd prefer one that can support SLI as well. I'm looking forward to making an upgrade to a dedicated sound card and removing the two PATA drives for a SATA so I can use RAID on them instead. I don't know if that will affect which PSU i'll have to get.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 256132

ASUS PROBE is included on your system CD. You can check your voltages with it while in Windows. Also, if you are noticing the crashes more in a game, I would again suspect power. It may be crashing due to the increased power demands.

2 things, first run Memtest ( www.memtest.org ) and test the memory. Run it for 3-5 passes with the memory voltage at 2.75v. It should pass cleanly with no errors.

Second, try to max out the system usage. For example, run a defrag, listen to a music CD, do a download from the net, then launch one of your games. While the game is loading, watch the voltages in ASUS PROBE and see if they start dipping. Then, if you crash, also take a look at the Event Viewer.

Mike .
Old 07-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256133

I'll go try that now, but theres one problem with Memtest.

I've run Memtest before on this machine with both modules installed. I received TONS of errors (In order of 600+) when running Test #6. After #6 was completed, the screen would freeze and I couldn't do anything but hit escape to reboot. I've yet to run tests #7-10 completely, but when I ran individual tests on either modules (I also tweaked around with the settings in the bios for the latency/voltage) I still got the errors on #6.

Does this mean my system has faulty memory? Because I'm getting consistent results and i'm seeing repeated errors in the same memory locations over and over again. As for the heavy load idea, i'll go try that now. As for the voltage readings, how much of a voltage dip should I expect? I've never done this before. Would it be on the scale of a few milivolts?

Thanks for all the help.

Edit: Within a few minutes within the game, I already had a system cash (I wasn't even "playing" the game) PC Probe reports the following stats as of now

Vcore: 1.39V
+3.3V: 3.36V
+5V: 5.08V
+12V: 11.97V

I don't know if this'll help any, but it also reports my CPU is running at 47C and my MB at 50C

In my Event Viewer, Windows has no reports on the crash from Rise and Fall. However I do have the following reports from previous application errors today.

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.50817, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0xd296415a.
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20060.50817, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000001.
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000106c3.

Last edited by Sagekilla; 07-20-2006 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 256140

I forgot to add, disable Legacy USB Support in the bios before running Memtest. There is a conflict with Memtest and that setting when in DOS.

Mike.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256142

I've disabled Legacy USB support in the BIOS before running memtest on my memory module and it seems to be working perfectly fine in the tests it's run so far. It's already on Test #8 with no errors. Before I couldn't get past #6.
Edit: Turns out I was wrong, on ONE module it worked perfectly fine til 8. When I had both in I got some in #6. I need to test them one by one now.

I think it's worth noting that my config originally had the 30 + 80 GB hard drives installed, I didn't install the SATA until a few weeks ago. Meanwhile, I had no problems with the system up until a few days after the SATA drive was in. It seems like I do have a power problem.

If this is the case with the PSU being junky, what suggestions would you make as to a more powerful and reliable one? I'm considering just removing the 30 GB drive to see if my problems end as a temporary solution. But, i'd rather get a more permenant solution by replacing the PSU. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Sagekilla; 07-20-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256163

Turns out I have bad memory. I've tested one module MANY times and it's passed them all with no errors whatsoever. The other module turns up errors on 5, 6, and 7. They ALL say the Err-Bits are 00000004, too.

I guess this means I'll have to RMA the memory then, right? This would be the second time I've done it if this is necessary.

On the other hand, I don't know if I have a PSU problem or not, but I'll take your word for it and i'll upgrade the PSU. Do you have any suggestions for which one to get?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 256277
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

We can try replacing your modules again if you want to try that and if you did the RMA with us once before we will take care of the shipping both ways. But before you do you need to make sure that you have the latest beta bios installed and then restest the modules again.
You can reply to the last email you got from customer service and let them know you are still having a problem.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Sagekilla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 256281

The last time I RMA'd, I did it with Newegg instead. I also checked that I have the latest BIOS, version 1103. So i'm not sure if it's the BIOS that may be causing the errors.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 256563
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Might be there should be a newer verison than that. And you also have to set the CPU Frequency manually as well with this MB.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-25-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 256579

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY
Might be there should be a newer verison than that. And you also have to set the CPU Frequency manually as well with this MB.
There is a newer bios, 1205 and also a beta.

Mike.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-25-2006 at 03:41 PM.