Corsair Community

Non-owner questions before committing

Raio Verusia

Hi there! I'm knew to the forum.

So, I was going to purchase the K70 Rapidfire RGB with the speed switches earlier this year when there was a nice sale on it going on, but a friend told me not to get RGB so I let it go. The reason was, apparently CUE had an issue with Steam and any peripherals being connected while both were running would cause Steam to break until rebooting. I would like to know if that was resolved?

And also, I would like to know if there are any conflicts with other profiler software? I know we can't talk about competitors here, so I'm scared to mention which software (actually just typing this paragraph makes me a little anxious).

I'm really considering this keyboard as it's pretty much everything I want, the price tag is just a little hefty. So I want to know everything I can before picking it up as I don't like committing to something without knowledge. I've gotten burned much to often by not inquiring and just assuming it was or would be fixed with other products, and I'm not interested in it happening again here.

I'm running Windows 10 x64.

So, I was going to purchase the K70 Rapidfire RGB with the speed switches earlier this year when there was a nice sale on it going on, but a friend told me not to get RGB so I let it go. The reason was, apparently CUE had an issue with Steam and any peripherals being connected while both were running would cause Steam to break until rebooting. I would like to know if that was resolved?

RE above, not exactly, but i had my first steam crash in ages today trying to run steep through ubisoft trying to get my steam controller to connect. Not all users with CUE and steam and a steam controller are experiencing this. I am not having any issues other than i cannot get my steam controller to work in steep no matter what i do, even with the ubisoft provided controller layout and various other things. I am using my ps4 controller but even that only works plugged in and not via bluetooth. I assume this is isolated incident and it is not related to cue (ive unplugged it all and tried without cue running).

As far as other peripheral software interactions, i ran an old logitech mouse alongside the same keyboard you are considering years ago and had zero issues.

Cue's been buggy from time to time and some may say logitech or razr have better software...im not convinced based on my experience and the hardware is a thousand times better on corsair. That said, I only have experienced red and brown switches on corsair keyboards and if you are jumping to it from domes...expect a different experience.

1. The issue is not resolved but the cause is known and if it is fixable on Corsair's side, it will be released when available, but as hastegag mentioned, It is more frequent for user's with controllers

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=935659&postcount=74

2. As far as i am aware, there is no known conflicts, although if it does occur it is very very rare.

3. If you do purchase the keyboard, The best option would be to check your retailer's return policy if things do not go to plan.

1. The issue is not resolved but the cause is known and if it is fixable on Corsair's side, it will be released when available, but as hastegag mentioned, It is more frequent for user's with controllers

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=935659&postcount=74

2. As far as i am aware, there is no known conflicts, although if it does occur it is very very rare.

3. If you do purchase the keyboard, The best option would be to check your retailer's return policy if things do not go to plan.

How do you know this, do you work for Corsair? If they know the cause, it would be nice if they communicated this with their customers. My K55 is not even a month old and I can't use any of the extra features (had to uninstall CUE/disable all the Corsair HID devices), because their HID drivers lock up my system if a controller + the keyboard are connected at the same time (doesn't matter in what port) and I try to run anything that polls a controller - this is with/without Steam and CUE running. No DPI profiles for my mouse, no macros, nothing - it's basically a basic keyboard with a rainbow pulse right now because of their drivers. I can honestly say that this is the first time in my ~25 years of computing that I've had this many weird, unexplained issues revolving around a keyboard/keyboard drivers. I've used plenty of keyboards etc. with their own macro/profile software, and they always cooperated with everything else on the system/other peripherals etc.

How do you know this, do you work for Corsair? If they know the cause, it would be nice if they communicated this with their customers. My K55 is not even a month old and I can't use any of the extra features (had to uninstall CUE/disable all the Corsair HID devices), because their HID drivers lock up my system if a controller + the keyboard are connected at the same time (doesn't matter in what port) and I try to run anything that polls a controller - this is with/without Steam and CUE running. No DPI profiles for my mouse, no macros, nothing - it's basically a basic keyboard with a rainbow pulse right now because of their drivers. I can honestly say that this is the first time in my ~25 years of computing that I've had this many weird, unexplained issues revolving around a keyboard/keyboard drivers. I've used plenty of keyboards etc. with their own macro/profile software, and they always cooperated with everything else on the system/other peripherals etc.

This is discussed in multiple other threads in the forum including statements from Corsair. They most prominently appear in the other thread you commented in. Read all of it.

This is discussed in multiple other threads in the forum including statements from Corsair. They most prominently appear in the other thread you commented in. Read all of it.

Nearly every reply from them on the matter has been copy-pasted "It's a Steam issue, and we're waiting on Steam to fix it" - nowhere do they admit it's an issue with their software/drivers/Windows and claim it's something they can fix. From my own troubleshooting I can state almost unequivocally that it's an issue with THEIR HID drivers as unplugging the keyboard/disabling said drivers eliminates the problem (and all extra functionality the keyboard provides). I mean, if you kindly link me to a thread/post where they admit they know what the problem is and they can fix it, I'd be very appreciative.

• Corsair Employee
Nearly every reply from them on the matter has been copy-pasted "It's a Steam issue, and we're waiting on Steam to fix it" - nowhere do they admit it's an issue with their software/drivers/Windows and claim it's something they can fix. From my own troubleshooting I can state almost unequivocally that it's an issue with THEIR HID drivers as unplugging the keyboard/disabling said drivers eliminates the problem (and all extra functionality the keyboard provides). I mean, if you kindly link me to a thread/post where they admit they know what the problem is and they can fix it, I'd be very appreciative.

I can confirm it is a Steam issue because we did a diagnostic and found that Steam polls extensively for USB devices. What is unknown is what/how they're doing it because its actually conflicting with how we poll for our devices. The end result is simultaneous polling leading to a conflict. As you can see from reports, this specifically is only affected by Steam itself. We can implement workarounds, try to resolve a solution or they can do it. However, it takes both sides because they either need to explain how they work so we can develop a workaround, or we can tell them how we work and they can do a workaround. Either way, it needs communication from them and it is not their strong point externally....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, but from my own personal experience, even with CUE and Steam disabled, I have issues with the keyboard and controllers - this is only remedied by unplugging the keyboard OR disabling all the Corsair HID drivers - once I do either the controller/games or apps polling the controller spring to life. I find it hard to believe it's a Steam issue as this occurs with all instances of Steam closed. Now, this doesn't mean there isn't an issue with your peripherals and Steam as well, but clearly this issue

is not isolated to Steam, perhaps you should do more extensive testing with a wider array of motherboards etc.

Archived