Corsair Community

HX1050 runs HOT ! ! !

HOODedAssault

Ok, so setup my tri sli setup and went back to X58 (got a straight trade for a tri sli board and didn't feel like spending $300+ on a sandybridge tri sli board). I realize my setup consumes a lot of power, but from my understanding the HX1050 should be able to handle this setup easily. Running flawlessly so far after hours of bf3, but it runs extremely hot, if i touch the back of the psu i can barely keep my hand on it for a few seconds its so hot. The fan is working cuz its pumping out a lot of air (very hot air). Im wondering if this is normal/safe to run in these conditions. I did have the same kind of setup but with 2 470s instead of 3 on a TX750 a couple summers ago and it did the same thing, but that was in 30C+ ambients, currently im around 22C ambients. Never had a problem with that setup, just wanna make sure my psu isnt gonna blow up :laughing: . Before someone asks the fan on the psu is facing down in my 600T SE.

• Corsair Employee
Under a full load the PSU can get quite warm so yes I would say that is normal. However, you might check the case cooling and try to set the case fans so more air in blowing in the case than is blowing out. IE Positive Case pressure!

Id like to do that but I love my side window. I have a 150cfm spectre pro in the front. Was thinking of putting the top as intake but thats gonna be a dust magnet. If I put my H60 as intake instead of exhaust ill be bring more heat into the case... The psu should be intaking from the bottom of the case threw the filter anyways, so positive pressure inside the case shouldnt make a difference. I could be wrong...

According to the list of video card power usage Corsair has posted, a 470 uses 220W max, so that's 660W max for three, or a 55A draw at 12V, out of a rated 87A on the 12V rail. Add more for your OC'd i7-930, etc, say 20 - 25A, and that PS is loaded pretty good on the 12V rail.

Having your PS mounted as it is, is the best case situation for cooling, since it uses outside air and is not responsible for any case ventilation. But one thing I have noticed with most bottom mount PS cases, is that there is a gap between the PS and the bottom vent, not more than ~1/4", but it's there. So IMO there is some case air being pulled into the PS. If your case is an oven inside when you're gaming, that might be a factor.

How about a test of removing the PS filter in your case, in case it is restricting air flow. Try that when you're gaming and see if it makes a difference. If the filter restricts air flow, then IMO more air from inside the case could be drawn into the PS through the gap I mentioned above, which is likely not as cool as air outside the case. I only use bottom mount PS cases, but use a laminated board sold as shelves in hardware stores under PCs that otherwise would sit on carpet, so they get optimal air intake through the bottom of the case.

Some PSs use the PS case itself as a heat sink for the 12V rail, as well as the usual ones. If the PS case feels hot, how about a 120mm fan attached to the drive cage to circulate more air around the PS.

Judging by the pics on the 600T product page, three video cards looks pretty tight in that case, so the more air flow into and out of that case, the better!

Ya ill test the filter idea tomorrow. I think raising up the case would help a bit as well, no matter how fast a fan spins only having a centimeter (think im being generous) between my desk and the case psu filter is very resitricting. I dont know if its just corsair psu thing, but with the old setup I had with a 750tx and 2 470s in a haf932 the psu ran a HUGE amount cooler when I flipped the psu so the fan was facing up instead of down. That case had a side fan tho that would of provided ample airflow to the psu. 600T se is way to sexc with the side window to add the mesh side panel. Raising case up and throwing a good 90cfm+ 120mm between the hdd cage and the 5.25" bay (have the higher hdd taken out already for airflow) and see if that helps. Im guessing that the only thing thats gonna help is flipping the psu and mounting the mesh side panel with 4x120mm fans (dunno if its worth losing the eye candy). This was the only thing that worked in my haf with the 750tx.

I was wondering how much clearance there was between the intake for the PS and the floor, I don't own this case, but the picture looked like it wasn't as tight as you said. I doubt your filter is dirty, right? Or maybe hard to tell with that filter, I've never seen one.

It's interesting to hear of your experience with having the PS fan facing up into the case. It really sounds like you had more or easier airflow in that position. I'm sure that would apply to all PSs, and IMO likely is a problem with the vents on on the bottom PS intake. I imagine that with tri-sli, there is no room for those vented PCI slot covers, which wouldn't help much anyway.

It's also odd to think that the PS ran cooler with the fan facing up with a case full of hot video cards, but I imagine the PS was farther from the video cards in your HAF case than the 600T, since the HAF is a full tower case. Hmm, I just checked pics of that case, and there is not anymore space there. But that large vertical vent in the back helped I imagine.

Archived