Corsair Community

How to connect 6+ corsair HD fans??

Lekoo

Hello,

I want to connect 8 corsair hd fans couple of them are 120mm and couple are 140mm. I have corsair fan hubs of course. I also have corsair lighting node pro and corsair commander pro.

Is there anyone who connect 6+ corsair fans via these 3 corsair devices and if yes how should I do this?

I was thinking to connect corsair hub (6fans) and lighting node pro to lighting node pro hub and then in commander pro to connect lighting node pro hub which has (6fan hub and led strips) and another fan hub as I need 2 fan hub for 8 fan connection.

What do you guys think ?

I am in the same boat just saved up to the 589.00 to buy everything to install fans. Not sure which way to connect.

Note:

The fan hub with the dual 140mm rgb fans is only for leds not the fans themselves. I also believe that if you purchased 120 dual or tri-pak with fan hub that came with it too is only for the leds.

You may find your answer in my post some time ago about components needed to complete install linked here

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168374

Edited by jwar
Add info

That doesn't have enough power to give to 2 Hd fans. I have places where to plug just how to connect them to Corsair link all together and how to connect them in corsair fan hub all... ??

Yes it does and it if it didn't I would not have proposed this.

Lekoo,

The Asus MB listed in your specs is capable of controlling all 8 fans. And yes you can operate two (2) fans on one fan port from the MB with the Referenced link from Red-Ray( fan splitter 4 pin) as long as you do not exceed 1 amp total.

Being that I currently own an ASUS MB Sabertooth fx99 V.2 that I use fan splitters on it to control multiple fans from single port.

My new build is the Asus Maximus IX Formula (same board listed in your specs) and it has 8 ports for fans see Chapter 1 section 1-25 aka page 1-25 of the OEM regarding fan connections. The page also list the max amperage per connector and how to set them up in the bios.

Since all your fans listed in this post are the HD RGB be it the 120mm or 140mm they are pwm 4 pin. And will require you to set them in Bios if you go the MB route to PWM.

As for your LED control you will need either the Commander Pro or the LNP (Lighting Node Pro) Note the RGB ports on the ASUS MB are for 12 volt 5050 led standard and will not work with Corsair led strips THAT ARE 5 volt And since like me you have more than 6 FANS THAT REQUIRES YOU TO USE EITHER OF (2 each LNP or Commander Pro) THE ABOVE MENTIONED PRODUCTS.

As for myself and my ASUS MB I choose to go the Corsair way and not use any ports on the MB (with the exception of the AIO and its fans controlled by MB AIO port) and use 2 each Commander Pro. That gives me a total of 12 fan ports and 4 led ports to use to power all fans and leds of the fans and any strips I install into my case the ThermalTake Core X5.

Note not sure how you purchased your RGB HD fans if single pack you will need the Fan hub controller that comes with the dual and triple pack of HD RGB fans to control the LEDS. Corsair PN CO-8950020 Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub link to the page it is 9.99 from Corsair http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-rgb-fan-led-hub

Now to the gist you will plug the fan connectors into either your MB (up to 8 fans expandible with splitters) or Commander Pro( CP ) (6 fans per unit)or Lighting Node Pro (LNP)(6 fans per unit) whatever you so choose. The Led connector will first have to be plugged into the Corsair RGB Fan led hub and then connected to the LNP OR CP. The led ports on the LNP and the CP can control 6 led fans or 4 led Corsair strips (note others ,Red-Ray included have tested 3rd party led to 72 leds total see those post) so one either of each LNP / CP can control your leds but not all your fans

The CP or the LNP needs to have the usb 2.0 cable connected to either your MB's 2.0 port or to an expander of that port. Because if you are like most you have other devices such as AIO/ Custom Water Cooler/ front port 2.0 usb on case/PSU/ LNP/CP or what ever other device that needs 2.0 usb to talk to it and control it

My setup is like this the NZXT internal 2.0 usb hub is connected to the MB 2.0 usb port. Then my PSU is connected to the NZXT/ My Corsair H115i is connected to the NZXT/ my Front case 2.0 ports are connected to the NZXT/ My CP 2 each will be connected to the NZXT so that is 5 devices connected to the usb 2.0 NZXT expander. I hope this points you in the right direction Corsairs OEMs can be very lacking in the details.

Now since the Asus IX formula only has one 2.0 usb port you will have to get an USB expander internal either the NZXT or a pci card for one of the open slots. Or if you get the Commander it has an two usb ports built in for expansion and pass thru.

This is the one I went with https://www.nzxt.com/products/internal-usb-hub

Edited by jwar

Jwar and Red-Ray thank you very much, I dont need the fan splitter as I have a lot of power ports for fans in mobo and in my corsair commander pro. I have everything you mentioned even the nzxt internal usb hub. Ill give it a try as you are saying next week when I have time and ill let you know how I went with it. However thank you very much for your help and for your detailed description. I appreciate it a lot.

Jwar and Red-Ray thank you very much, I dont need the fan splitter as I have a lot of power ports for fans in mobo and in my corsair commander pro. I have everything you mentioned even the nzxt internal usb hub. Ill give it a try as you are saying next week when I have time and ill let you know how I went with it. However thank you very much for your help and for your detailed description. I appreciate it a lot.

No problem I am glad I could assist. Please post back when you have it up and operational. I am thinking I am going to use my mobo to control the fans and use either the commander pro at 2 each or 1 NLP and 1 CP to control leds on the fans.

Jwar, I tried as you said and everything works great but the problem is:

I am using 8 corsair hd fans and commander pro of course but I have lighting node pro as well which requires another port for LED's.

I have one corsair hd fan hub connected on my commander pro but then the second port I have my lighting node pro leds connected so there is no way where to add another fan hub to commander pro.

for power I fixed the problem but for leds I am missing one port.

I have 8 corsair hd fans and 4 lighting node pro led strips. I have all the hubs and commander pro but just not enough ports.

No idea how to connect all of them...

I did it this way...

6 hd fans in one hub which is connected in commander pro led port 1

4 lighting node pro strips connceted to each other and last one connect to commander pro led port 2

then

I have another set connecting 2 hd fans in another fan hub and then that fan hub connected to lighting node pro hub and then all of the usb connected to nzxt internal usb hub which is connected to commander pro usb port.

all fans connected with power in motherboard.

It works just a lot of cables and hubs. Couldn't figure out any easy way.

I had to build a system like this for COMPUTEX 2017 and my solution was a pair of Lighting Node Pros. This was before the Commander Pro was released so I only had a pair of those to work with. One Lighting Hub has 6 fans on it and plugged into LNP Channel #1, then the second Lighting Hub with 2 fans on it plugged into LNP Channel #2.

It works just a lot of cables and hubs. Couldn't figure out any easy way.

Yes with a power/PWM wire and an LED wire for each fan, then the LED wires, then the connections from the LED hubs to the CLCP / CLNP, then the SATA power to the CLCP / CLNP, then the SATA power to the LED Hubs, then the USB cables from the CLCP / CLNP to the NZXT USB headers, then USB from the NZXT to a MOBO USB header. It is a LOT of pesky wires.

I cannot understand WHY Corsair can't get with the program and make the whole system wireless!! Bluetooth or 802.11ac or perhaps miniature tuned microwave guides for data. Then Tesla wireless power transmission to power everything. I see NO REASON they can't deploy such a system and eliminate all these damn little wires. :D:

Oh and it has to cost less too.;):

• 2 months later...
Hello,

I want to connect 8 corsair hd fans couple of them are 120mm and couple are 140mm. I have corsair fan hubs of course. I also have corsair lighting node pro and corsair commander pro.

Is there anyone who connect 6+ corsair fans via these 3 corsair devices and if yes how should I do this?

I was thinking to connect corsair hub (6fans) and lighting node pro to lighting node pro hub and then in commander pro to connect lighting node pro hub which has (6fan hub and led strips) and another fan hub as I need 2 fan hub for 8 fan connection.

What do you guys think ?

if you still need help on this. here is how mine is set up..

using PWM splitters diagram

QaJwdUKh.jpg

my current set up

3zWbMyNh.png

Edited by Zotty
Diagram update

• 4 months later...

Hi. I notice in yr diagram for fan speed control you are connecting some of your fans to motherboard fan headers...may I suggest a modification to your setup. You can use 2/3/or 4 way splitter cables in the Commander Pro as long as all the fans don't draw more than 4.5 amps in total..see here for a 3 way. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132480710151

The advantage of doing it this way is that you get RPM read outs of all your fans.. or should I say groups of fans on each fan splitter.. via the Corsair Link software. This is far more convenient for seeing your fan speeds, as you see all your fan speeds in one place on one piece of software. To see the fan speed of the fans connected to the motherboard headers you would require another piece of software to be open on your desktop.

Secondly, by using fan cable splitters you can set up fan curves for each group of fans based on CPU GPU or motherboard temperature sensors.

When connecting fans to a splitter I suggest you only use identical fans in that group as otherwise the commander Pro will get confused about the fan speeds and will not report them correctly and will not control the fan speed correctly. I have 3 Corsair LL120s fans set up on one splitter and they work fine. I have three other fans non pwm so they are voltage controlled 3-pin connector type connected separately to individual channels on the commander Pro... and even though they're not pwm fans the commander Pro controls their speed perfectly. I also have a Corsair H45 cooler fan connected to the commander pro which means I can control the fan speed of that too. You can even connect the pump for the h45 into the commander Pro and it will control the speed of that... but this is not recommended by Corsair as they say it should always run at full speed which is about 4000 RPM... it's a lot quieter at 3000 or two and a half thousand RPM and actually doesn't produce any better cooling after I tested it... also the fan on the h45 doesn't need to go above 1000 RPM because again doesn't produce any more cooling... believe it or not in my pc system at least.

After some fine tuning work with fan curves my case is super quiet yet my AMD FX 3850 CPU does not go above 35 degrees and my ASUS GTX 1060 does not go above 65 degrees even on the heaviest load... for instance running pass mark 3D graphics test and CPU test.

Here is a setup using fan splitter cables. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172785

I hope this helps

Edited by Yetti
Link to alternative setup added

old thread dude....

I hope this helps

Hi bud.. that was an old diagram (and have now updated it ;) ).... system has changed somewhat in the 8 months since this thread was active.

Here is a help thread I did that covers most link Questions/Products/Wiring diagrams etc.. including the use of splitter's and the CoPro's limitations ;)...

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

It's also in my signature below along with DevBikers Hydro Cooler Guide and a couple of simple RGB case mods I did.. last link is a vid to my current set up...

Edited by Zotty
more info added

Hi. I notice in yr diagram for fan speed control you are connecting some of your fans to motherboard fan headers...may I suggest a modification to your setup. You can use 2/3/or 4 way splitter cables in the Commander Pro as long as all the fans don't draw more than 4.5 amps in total..see here for a 3 way. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132480710151

That's actually not entirely accurate.

Can you use splitters? Yes.

Is there a 4.5A total limit on the Commander Pro? Yes. But there is also a 1A limit on each fan header. So you must be aware of the current draw of each fan, each header and the Commander Pro over all.

Is there a 4.5A total limit on the Commander Pro? Yes. But there is also a 1A limit on each fan header. So you must be aware of the current draw of each fan, each header and the Commander Pro over all.

Yup Yup :)..

number 18. in the Faq Thread.

18. Not Officially supported but there is no reason why You can not use Fan header Splitter cables on the Commander Pro (note there is a 1A limitation per fan header and a 4.5A limitation for the entire unit. so do your Math! Also see Below Fan Specifications for power Draw etc).
Edited by Zotty

Zotty thx for the link and all yr tutorials... Still 18th in FAQs..pretty popular question then.

DevB thx for the reminder about the 1amp limit.

My aim in adding information to this old thread is if anyone read it to get the information they need I was just trying to point out it's a pretty good idea to use splitters.. obviously to the rules that we've laid out with 4.5 and 1 amp imits.. as it releases fan control outlet headers on the commander pro which can be very useful if you have a lot of fans.... cheers all

• 1 year later...

Hi

I plan to have

3xLL120 on aio

3xLL120 on front

1xLL140 on exhaust.

1 corsair RGB fan strip

So,

4 fans on the commander for RPM

3 fans on the AIO pump

7 RGB + 1 rgb strip

What is the best way for RGB connection?

I currently have one commander and one fan led hub, if I understand it well I will have to put an extra hub AND a node for the led strip? No way to make it more simple?

Thanks