Corsair Community

XMP VS Higher freq. + slower CAS?

DiscaL

I would like to know what everyone thinks about running (2x8GB) CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R @ 2144MHz 10-11-10-30 as opposed to the default XMP which sets them @ 1866MHz 9-10-9-27?

I have tested both in MemTest86+ with a stable 1.5V and got very close COPY/READ/WRITE results in Maxx Mem 2, but a two or more millisecond latency difference!

Do the variables even matter?

Does the performance difference matter for your actual PC usage?

If your benchmarking, theres probably still some room to tweak that 1072MHz setting for performance with manual secondary timings. You can also try other benchmarks, some might react differently from MaxxMEM² (7zip, superpi...).

Thanks for the reply!

You know at first, I thought my sticks wouldn't work because they only said "Intel" on the packaging. And even after contacting both Corsair & GIGABYTE for answers, I was told to "experiment" :p: But I sure did, and everything is going well without problems :sillygrin: except for the tiny latency you might see in the attached snapshot because I'm running some stuff in the background now!

10-11-10-30.jpg.de3ced3d1e7d8f2b2905cb0fad6528e1.jpg

WOW emissary!!!

We have similar setups what with the AMD + GIGABYTE & Corsair <3

I like the 2+ GB/S score difference on your RAM!

I am quite new to all this OC'ing business, but looking at my readings, would you think that I'm doing something wrong?

What RAM sticks did you buy? And are they running under 1.5V?

I overclocked only by using multipliers and not BCLK by the way.

CPU-Z.thumb.jpg.7d413d89708cceefd1526d2f9925b311.jpg

Corsair CMGTX2 are 1.65V sticks and thats what i was using for the test. These are very special modules and don't even come with an XMP. I had to raise BCLK to get up to that memory clock, because FM1 has no memory multi over DDR3-1866. However you shouldn't compare your own result with mine, since FM1 is very different from AM3+. Try to find other AM3+ scores for that.

On a different note: I guess your CPU uncore is not maxxed yet? Thats where i would start. It should give you a nice overall performance boost in cpu and memory scores alike. Then there also are the secondary timings. Minimizing them is a lot of work and the gains can be kinda minimal at times. Reading a tutorial or two beforehand might be a good idea, if you never touched those before.

Great info bro, I am researching "uncore" now and the VTT multiplier!

I have a quick question I'm sure you'd know a little something about ... What does it mean if the last 4 out of my 8 cores throttle down to 4270MHz @ 14 hours into Prime95's Small FFTs test?

heheh hmm poor thing for sure ... what then ... would you say about the 2003 DELL OptiPlex 280 I've had making Music all this time :') Win XP

But my temperatures were balanced in between 35 - 42 Celsius! So you reckon it was a power limit issue that kicked in? And why so late into the test?

PS. Cores are all back to normal after restart

Well if the throttling only becomes an issue after hours of priming small FFTs, then it's not a big deal or is it? You probably will never see something close to such a continuous system load while producing music or gaming.

The power limits are probably configurable in BIOS, but unless you know what you're doing i wouldn't touch them. Also remember i was only guessing. There are other potential reasons for throttling like VRM temperatures etc.

Archived