Corsair Community

iCUE GPU Consumption varies with Lighting Effects

dsocohen

My work setup consists of a Dell Precision 5530 with an i9-8950HK, 32GB of RAM, and a Quadro P2000 dGPU. I'm also running a K70 LUX Keyboard and an M65 Pro Mouse.

I installed the latest version of iCUE (3.19) while at the same time, also updating to a Thunderbolt docking station. After doing both, my laptop became unusable. It introduced so much input lag that both the mouse and keyboard were barely controllable. After checking GPU 0 usage, which is Intel integrated Graphics, I noticed that it was nearly pegged between 90 - 100% at all times.

At first, I couldn't determine the root cause as I thought it could be my new docking station, but uninstalling the latest version of iCUE did the trick. I came across a thread here discussing all of the current iCUE bugs and decided to try 3.18 while closely monitoring GPU 0 usage. Prior to iCUE installation, usage would hover between 0 and 10%. After installation and while selecting different keyboard Lighting Effects, GPU 0 usage is all over the place. The more complex the keyboard lighting effect, the higher my GPU 0 usage. As this laptop doesn't use OPTIMUS for smart integrated GPU/dGPU switching, everything is routed through integrated graphics first. If usage spikes too highly, I get significant input lag.

Are there any remedies for this?

iCUE uses OpenGL for the display effects. What you are likely seeing is the rendering time for the UI to "show" the effects. Once you minimize iCUE or move to a less intensive screen, that should go down.

I thought this was the case as well. Nevertheless, the initial installation of 3.18 seemed to be working, but upon reboot I found that: a.) iCUE prevents my laptop from shutting down and then b.) after boot up, I end up with significant input lag again.

Uninstalling iCUE 3.18 fixed all of my issues again. I can now shut down and reboot normally and I no longer have input lag.

I'm not sure what it is about iCUE, but I've certainly isolated the source of my problems to it.