Corsair Community

Poll, everyone that has dead LED's on K70

Loki76

I was hoping that everyone that has experienced dead LED's on their K70 if you could respond with which version of the K70 you have. Is it the black one with red LED, or the silver with blue LED.

Mine is a silver K70 with blue LED that had 4 failed LED's (sent it in for RMA). I am trying to figure out if it is some kind of issue with just one type of LED on the K70's like for example the blue LED's. It would help Corsair to realize they have some manufacturing issues with a specific kind.

Now if others had it on the black and red one, then it is just a general issue that can happen on the K70's.

I am really nervous about being sent back another silver K70 and just have it die with LED's again. It has taken 20 days so far for my RMA and they still haven't sent out my replacement, they should on Monday though. A 30 day RMA hassle to get another broken one would be extremely aggravating.

I've had the black/red one for roughly a month with no problems. You have to remember that support forums almost always consist of the very problematic experiences with the products because 90% of the people that go to these forums are there to resolve problems. There's also the issue of sample size. When people spend upwards of 100$ on a keyboard, they are the type of people who are, more than likely, going to follow up on any malfunctions. With that in mind, it's safe to assume that a good amount of the dud experiences would end up here.

It's the same reason you'll usually see a decent amount of 0 star reviews on a lot of products that otherwise receive generally favored reviews because you mainly only hear from the very good and very bad experiences.

Sadly, this does not surprise me. I purchased a K90 keyboard and had 3 non-functional LEDs. Fortunately I got it from Amazon and they did a defective exchange for me. The 2nd keyboard had 2 defective LEDs. I did one final exchange and that one finally had all the LEDs working. I love the keyboard, but quality control seems to be iffy on them. Definitely grab one from a retailer that offers painless exchanges.

I've had the black/red one for roughly a month with no problems. You have to remember that support forums almost always consist of the very problematic experiences with the products because 90% of the people that go to these forums are there to resolve problems. There's also the issue of sample size. When people spend upwards of 100$ on a keyboard, they are the type of people who are, more than likely, going to follow up on any malfunctions. With that in mind, it's safe to assume that a good amount of the dud experiences would end up here.

It's the same reason you'll usually see a decent amount of 0 star reviews on a lot of products that otherwise receive generally favored reviews because you mainly only hear from the very good and very bad experiences.

I don't buy that for one second. There have been an inordinate amount of LED failures on these K70's. LED's can last for 100,000 hours on good quality ones. These fail in 1-2 months.

I also know that Corsair have ZERO quality control. I have owned 4 Corsair product and 3 out of 4 have failed me in less than 1 year.

First product was the Corsair HS-1 headset, it broke at the soundcard/volume control pod on the cord, like MANY others did as well, a known and COMMON issue, their new 1500 vengeance headset does the same, just shows they don't even fix faults. They play the numbers game

I bought a Corsair M95 mouse just a few months back and it's sensor slowly died in just a few days, didn't track on ANY surface at all. Had to send it back to retailer for refund ( I was lucky) cause with Corsair you're stuck in the mud once the 30 days are up. Ironically the only Corsair product that works is a static desktop case with no moving parts, just metal and plastic. Although the side panel actually broke. I guess 4 for 4 in failures. Absolute garbage and style over substance. They should've stuck with RAM.

My K70 have 4 dead LED, and it has taken 30 FRICKEN days so far to RMA it. It has now been sitting in their "processing department" for 5 business days and they still haven't sent out my replacement. All they have to do is plug the keyboard in and see the dead LED's. That's it.

I am sick and tired of this crap. Will never buy another Corsair product.

I will also make sure to let my whole gaming community know about this (10 years strong). Let the word of mouth take it's course.

Thinking of consumer advocates as well.

When $10 crappy keyboards work for years and Corsair high-end stuff can't work for barely 30 days.

I am almost sure that once I finally get my replacement it will also get dead LED's. Then the crap will hit the fan.

Edited by Loki76

I'm going to start this post by saying that I'm not a corsair fanboy.

That being said, I challenge you to google any popular product from basically any manufacturer with the conditions "failure," "dead," "broken," "RMA," etc and not find virtually the same experiences that you are going though.

I'm serious. What other peripherals do you use? Logitech? Razer? Steelseries? What would you consider "well made" components? A lot of people regard the logitech G5/G500 highly but there are equal horror stories with virtually everything that exists in the market. Razor has it's own huge share of complaints. There are stories from all of them with multiple RMA'd products breaking after very short periods of time. I've personally RMA'd multiple logitech mice, gone through tons of headsets of various makes/models but that doesn't mean that I instantly blame logitech QA.

You always hear the bad stories, and for good reason. People spend a lot of money on these products and yeah, it really sucks when they don't work correctly or break. But you have to remember that you are always going to hear the bad stories, and you can't assume that those bad stories don't happen with other companies as well.

I really don't wanna start a pointless internet fight so I probably won't respond again, but I really just think that people tunnel vision way too much when it comes to things like this. The grass is always greener on the other side, at least until you find yourself in the support forums of that other side, because the stories are always the same. I dare someone to find a support forum with nothing but praises of the company. They don't exist because support forums exist for the sole reason of giving support for broken products, plain and simple.

i'm going to start this post by saying that i'm not a corsair fanboy.

That being said, i challenge you to google any popular product from basically any manufacturer with the conditions "failure," "dead," "broken," "rma," etc and not find virtually the same experiences that you are going though.

I really don't wanna start a pointless internet fight so I probably won't respond again, but I really just think that people tunnel vision way too much when it comes to things like this. The grass is always greener on the other side, at least until you find yourself in the support forums of that other side, because the stories are always the same. I dare someone to find a support forum with nothing but praises of the company. They don't exist because support forums exist for the sole reason of giving support for broken products, plain and simple.

Amen !!!!!!

@Loki76

I guess 4 for 4 in failures. Absolute garbage and style over substance.

But you have kept on buying their components even after all the failures.

Edited by peanutz94

I'm going to start this post by saying that I'm not a corsair fanboy.

That being said, I challenge you to google any popular product from basically any manufacturer with the conditions "failure," "dead," "broken," "RMA," etc and not find virtually the same experiences that you are going though.

I'm serious. What other peripherals do you use? Logitech? Razer? Steelseries? What would you consider "well made" components? A lot of people regard the logitech G5/G500 highly but there are equal horror stories with virtually everything that exists in the market. Razor has it's own huge share of complaints. There are stories from all of them with multiple RMA'd products breaking after very short periods of time. I've personally RMA'd multiple logitech mice, gone through tons of headsets of various makes/models but that doesn't mean that I instantly blame logitech QA.

You always hear the bad stories, and for good reason. People spend a lot of money on these products and yeah, it really sucks when they don't work correctly or break. But you have to remember that you are always going to hear the bad stories, and you can't assume that those bad stories don't happen with other companies as well.

I would agree on many of your points.

That said, I have never had any other device or electronic equipment break on me for years. Only other time I had to do a warranty replacement was for a TV Plasma panel with Samsung. They came to the house and replaced the whole panel, no muss of fuss.

The reason why I react is because I realize that 3 out of 4 Corsair products have failed me. That is telling. If it was one of them, then sure it's a fluke, a crap happens kind of thing. 3 failures is not. I bought the M95 and the K70 basically around the same time give or take a few weeks.

The HS-1 headset was at least 3 years ago. The case was 1 1/2 year ago and it is a CASE not much to fail on that account.

Is it hard to understand why I would feel this way when literally 75% of their products have failed me, 2 of them within 1 week and 2 months.

As for this K70, people have RMA'd them and gotten a new replacement and the replacement have the same problem of dying LED's. How is that even possible? Isn't that obvious that something is wrong with QA and manufacturing?

@Loki76

But you have kept on buying their components even after all the failures.

First product was 3+ years ago HS-1 headset that had a COMMON failure point several complained about and I thought it was just bad luck for them, then it happened to me a few months later.

A case 1 year after that, it works. So is it hard to think that I thought some stuff would be fine since it was 3 years since that one product failed.

Then I go and buy the mouse and keyboard within weeks of each other. The mouse failed in a few days, the K70 lasted 2 months.

There was no "keep buying them window". But when you add it up. 3 out of 4 products failing is not fun and a track record.

Obviously after this I wouldn't be buying another Corsair product again. Not because they look bad, just out of fright that they would fail on me and I'd be out of money and or have to suffer ages long RMA.

I was on with customer support via phone and hopefully they resolved it for me and they follow through on what they said.

Edited by Loki76

As for this K70, people have RMA'd them and gotten a new replacement and the replacement have the same problem of dying LED's. How is that even possible? Isn't that obvious that something is wrong with QA and manufacturing?

Perhaps it was from the same batch of manufacturing, which had some kind of defect in the process itself. That'll result in a consistent flaw across most devices produced in that run.

How QA generally works is, every Xth product is taken off the assembly line and tested. It's entirely possible that the products they did take out for QA passed the tests (as unlikely as it might sound), and the products in between were mostly defective. There's an element of luck as well, or the probability of a particular product being defective based on the QA testing, manufacturing process, etc.

RMA's help that process - if it's a hardware problem, they can narrow down the problem if they have the defective product with them. If it's a software problem, the issue can be isolated and fixed in a future driver/firmware update.

And as already mentioned, every single "high quality" peripheral has the same issue if you google "product name + problems/RMA/defects" - you'll always get the odd disgruntled customer having a string of bad luck, while the customers who don't have any issues whatsoever remain quiet.

Perhaps it was from the same batch of manufacturing, which had some kind of defect in the process itself. That'll result in a consistent flaw across most devices produced in that run.

How QA generally works is, every Xth product is taken off the assembly line and tested. It's entirely possible that the products they did take out for QA passed the tests (as unlikely as it might sound), and the products in between were mostly defective. There's an element of luck as well, or the probability of a particular product being defective based on the QA testing, manufacturing process, etc.

RMA's help that process - if it's a hardware problem, they can narrow down the problem if they have the defective product with them. If it's a software problem, the issue can be isolated and fixed in a future driver/firmware update.

And as already mentioned, every single "high quality" peripheral has the same issue if you google "product name + problems/RMA/defects" - you'll always get the odd disgruntled customer having a string of bad luck, while the customers who don't have any issues whatsoever remain quiet.

That was my initial thinking. That there was a problem with the batch or "Lot" as they call them. Hopefully for everyone that buys them that is the case. The K70 in and of it self is really nice. My own personal bad luck with their products is obviously reflected in how I feel.

But one do get suspicious that there might be a larger issue than more than just a faulty batch.

This is why I did this poll to see if it was a problem particular to the "silver" version with blue LED that is affected. Since the problem isn't really with the keyboard itself but with the LED's. Only response so far is from someone with the "Black" K70 with red LED and he/she didn't have an issue.

I also have to add that the products they make seem really excellent and sturdy. This is why it is so sad that the smallest little things is what makes them fail. Such as in my HS-1 headset it was a little wire in the volume/sound card box on the cord that fail. The headset had excellent sound and looked nice, with quality feel, I really liked them as long they did last. Same on the K70, perfect build in aluminium etc, but LED dying, just a little 5c component. On the M95 it was the sensor, an essential component but made by Avago, not Corsair.

I am getting my replacement and I hope it will be fine. It has taken a LONG time for this RMA however. Corsair products are nice, when they work. So I hope with this replacement it is a good experience .

EDIT: I went to Amazon to check out reviews to see anything about the LED issue. 7-8 out of 9 reviewers that had LED lights failing had the SILVER version of the K70. So only one Black with red LED had it fail.

So it must have something to do with a bad batch of blue LED's.

Edited by Loki76

Mine is the NA Layout Silver Edition. I've only had it for about 2months.

When I first noticed that my LEDs were dying, there were only 2 of them. Then it turned to 4. My friend suggested that I should stop leaving my keyboard backlighting on when I'm not using it. So that night I turned them off. Woke up the next morning to find that 6 more died while I had the light off. Tested it again the next night and another 4 died.

I haven't tried testing it again as I'm not sure what the results will be because I can't send it in just yet until I get a replacement.

It really does seem like the Silver version is more affected by dying LED's compared to the Black/Red one.

It must be the blue LED's are not up to snuff a bad batch or something.

I am happy I got a black one as a replacement instead, partly because the Silver one is on back-order with them. Now I just hope it will last without any issues.

When everything works it is an awesome keyboard. Mine does have a metallic spring sound on the T and G keys but I'll take that over dead LED's any day.

Edited by Loki76

Hi, I recently purchased my k70 from newegg and in general my pc stays on all day, keyboard at full LED brightness. I would estimate 300hrs or so. No problems so far! In the past with other products that either failed immediately or soon after being purchased, its fairly obvious that it is a fault of quality, or doing too much with "cheap" materials. I cut my losses, paid for return shipping and moved on to something else. I would suggest doing the same, given your displeasure but that is just my opinion. I just think instead of insinuating corsair is playing numbers and performing rma's instead of having quality control in place is unfair, I'm certain they spend big bucks being compliant in quality control measures.

Hi, I recently purchased my k70 from newegg and in general my pc stays on all day, keyboard at full LED brightness. I would estimate 300hrs or so. No problems so far! In the past with other products that either failed immediately or soon after being purchased, its fairly obvious that it is a fault of quality, or doing too much with "cheap" materials. I cut my losses, paid for return shipping and moved on to something else. I would suggest doing the same, given your displeasure but that is just my opinion. I just think instead of insinuating corsair is playing numbers and performing rma's instead of having quality control in place is unfair, I'm certain they spend big bucks being compliant in quality control measures.

My issues of dead LED's came after 2 month's of owning the K70. There is no way to just return it for a refund. I would also not just "cut the losses", that is a $130 down the drain if I didn't get an RMA to get a proper replacement and have shipping paid for etc.

As for them playing a numbers game, can't say for sure, but there is just going by reviews on Amazon about a 10% failure rate of the K70, at least the Silver/blue version when it comes to LED's.

The problem is kind of silly cause the keyboard itself actually works, it is a bad batch of LED's that is the problem.

I now have black/red version of the K70 (sent out, cause the silver wasn't ins stock). So far no dead LED's, then again I have had it for ~2 weeks.

• 1 month later...

There are actually 4 versions of the K70:

Cherry MX red / black / red LED

Cherry MX red / silver / blue LED

Cherry MX blue / gunmetal gray / blue LED

Cherry MX brown / gunmetal gray / blue LED

K95 only has one:(much to my dissatisfaction, I want MX blue)

Cherry MX red / black / white LED

From my own research on the internet

K70 Cherry MX red / silver / blue LED - seems to have the most LED problems - cascading LED failures.

K95 - a few people reported LED problems.

I'm curious if anybody here had LED problems with the MX blue/MX brown switch K70s?

Reiterating that the Cherry MX blue/brown K70s also use blue diodes.

Edited by TomM

All I can say is that I bought the k70 "Cherry MX red/silver/blue-led" in May and after 2 months it developed 20 dead led's before shipping it back through rma. After receiving a replacement keyboard of the same model, this one now has 8 dead led's after 2-3 months of use. As much as I appreciate the rma service Corsair provides, I don't know if I can wait another 5 weeks again to receive another replacement keyboard. I have to type a lot of papers every week :(

I have the silver K70 with blue LEDs and red switches. Purchased in August and I now have 2 LED failures - the Home and End keys.

Very annoying for such an expensive product that otherwise seems extremely well made.

Edited by wrevilo

• 2 weeks later...