Corsair Community

Is my CPU running hotter than it should?

Hey everyone, new here. Just finished building out my first custom loop with all Hydro X components. It was a huge undertaking, but after a few mistakes it was pretty fun. Needless to say I'll for sure do it again.

Currently this is my loop.

Pump -> GPU -> 360mm top Radiator -> CPU -> 420mm front Radiator -> Pump Return.

My temps

CPU - 45c - 50c (idle)

CPU - 59c - 65c (100% load) Fans and pump at max

CPU - 55c - 60c (gaming) Fans and pump at max

GPU - 28c - 30c (idle)

GPU - 44c - 48c (100% load) Fans and pump at max

GPU - 38c - 42c (gaming) Fans and pump at max

Is it just me or is the CPU running hotter than it should?

I did run the Corsair CPU block backwards with the inlet on the left side port. From what I read that's about 1c to 2c difference in numbers.

Front 420mm radiator is push fresh air intake

Top 360mm radiator is push exhaust

All fans are Corsair LL series

Exhaust fan at back of case is LL140.

All fans connected to Commander Pro and designated as Hydro X fans. Set to hit 100% on fans and pump at 28c water temp. I have no other temperature sensors connected.

Using Corsair XL5 clear coolant.

I just feel like the CPU is running hot. I undervolted the CPU to 1.35v. And I have Precision Boost Overdrive enabled.

The pump is a little sagging due to the tubing being so big and heavy. I couldn't get the acrylic to bend the way I wanted it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you corsair fam

• Corsair Employee

Welcome to the Hydro X family!

That's a very nice first custom cooling system.

For 100% CPU load the deltaT of 37c (65c - 28c coolant) is good for a CPU with PBO enabled. These CPUs (from your PC Specs I assume it's the 3950X) tend to run really hot.

Welcome to the Hydro X family!

That's a very nice first custom cooling system.

For 100% CPU load the deltaT of 37c (65c - 28c coolant) is good for a CPU with PBO enabled. These CPUs (from your PC Specs I assume it's the 3950X) tend to run really hot.

Thank you, it's a dream build I put together. It was a gift from my business partners.

Ok, that's good to hear. I will be redoing the entire loop sometime in the future. So that I can switch the inlet and outlet of the XC7.

I'm not sure if the picture I attached worked. The return back to the pump is so ugly.

Hey everyone, new here. Just finished building out my first custom loop with all Hydro X components. It was a huge undertaking, but after a few mistakes it was pretty fun. Needless to say I'll for sure do it again.

Currently this is my loop.

Pump -> GPU -> 360mm top Radiator -> CPU -> 420mm front Radiator -> Pump Return.

My temps

CPU - 45c - 50c (idle)

CPU - 59c - 65c (100% load) Fans and pump at max

CPU - 55c - 60c (gaming) Fans and pump at max

GPU - 28c - 30c (idle)

GPU - 44c - 48c (100% load) Fans and pump at max

GPU - 38c - 42c (gaming) Fans and pump at max

Is it just me or is the CPU running hotter than it should?

I did run the Corsair CPU block backwards with the inlet on the left side port. From what I read that's about 1c to 2c difference in numbers.

Front 420mm radiator is push fresh air intake

Top 360mm radiator is push exhaust

All fans are Corsair LL series

Exhaust fan at back of case is LL140.

All fans connected to Commander Pro and designated as Hydro X fans. Set to hit 100% on fans and pump at 28c water temp. I have no other temperature sensors connected.

Using Corsair XL5 clear coolant.

I just feel like the CPU is running hot. I undervolted the CPU to 1.35v. And I have Precision Boost Overdrive enabled.

The pump is a little sagging due to the tubing being so big and heavy. I couldn't get the acrylic to bend the way I wanted it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you corsair fam

Thats actually really good. I have a 3900X/Vega 64 and when running BOINC (Seti@Home) which pretty much pins my GPU and CPU at near 100% at the same time I get 72/34 degrees with a fluid temp of 34 reported by CP (Ryzen master always reports about 2deg lower on CPU).

I have 3x360mm rads and my ML120 Pro RGB fans only run about 1200rpm at that CPU Temp.

So I would say your setup is running very well.

Thats actually really good. I have a 3900X/Vega 64 and when running BOINC (Seti@Home) which pretty much pins my GPU and CPU at near 100% at the same time I get 72/34 degrees with a fluid temp of 34 reported by CP (Ryzen master always reports about 2deg lower on CPU).

I have 3x360mm rads and my ML120 Pro RGB fans only run about 1200rpm at that CPU Temp.

So I would say your setup is running very well.

Woohoo that's great news!!

You have to understand how PBO works ...

It actively monitors the cooling capabilities of the system. And it will boost it to the limits of the cooling solution.

The fact that it boosts so aggressively indicates that the cooling solution is more than adequate. With my ThreadRipper 3960X, it would boost to almost 1.5V. With my TR 2650X, it would hit 1.5V. What would be more telling than temps, for your situation, are the voltages being applied. Higher voltages == higher temps. Period. And PBO will pour on the voltage if it thinks it has "adequate cooling" for the extra voltage.

I wound up disabling PBO because of the extra heat generated. But it does run great for benchmarks!