Corsair Community

Can not type password when Mac Restart

Tried two Mac Pro both have the same issue, in the login window it's just can not type my password, a few key works, others can not type anything. When I plug my old keyboard, it works. When I move to recovery mode, it seems also works. I already tried to install the ckb-next and the beta version iCUE, still the same issue. However when I lock the screen, I'm able to type the password. This is a company mac not sure if it's related to my specific security software.

Any comment is appreicated, if still no luck, I will need to return this production.

Hey can I get some information on your devices?

What version is your Mac on?

What version of iCUE are you running?

And what firmware version is your keyboard using?

And perhaps you can macro your password to a button on a Hardware Profile, I know security is kind of worse, but it could work.

• 2 months later...
Have the exact same issue. In my case the laptop keyboard does not even type the correct keys when trying to log in Mac when my k95 rob platinum is connected. I have to unplug it, use the laptop keyboard to login and replug the K95. It then works fine, even to wake up after sleep. My OSX is the latest Catalina version. I am using the latest ICue for Mac. I contacted Corsair tech support. They asked me to and I did a soft reset, a hard rest, force updated to latest hardware, and even prayed. nothing works. I am about to ditch it

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is I'm using the latest version of firmware and iCUE. One thing I'm thinking might related is the the FileVault is enabled in my mac.

My mac version: 10.14.6 (18G3020)

iCUE: 3.25.60

Firmware: 3.21

I have the same exact issue where even with the built-in keyboard I can not type every character I need *until* I unplug the K95.

For now this is a minor annoyance as I don't actually reboot my MacBook Pro all that often, but I am sort of glad to find out I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

• 4 weeks later...
Same problem here. Even after unplugging and replugging in keyboard, after awhile will sometimes fail to show screen characters while typing on the keys. Like it’s frozen. I’m in my return period so hoping Corsair responds before I throw in the towel. I haven’t played with it but wondering if slowing the keyboard polling/refresh rate may help. Mine is set to 1,000Hz I believe and plugged into USB3. Edited by widmark

Same issue. Created an account just to subscribe to the thread.

K70 with Corsair mouse plugged into rear USB port.

Weirdly, when I hold down Left-Click and move the mouse, it only moves on +X axis linearly as I hold down the button.

Tried deleting keyboard profile (the one where you set up "unknown device" with MacOS), using iCUE to refresh the profiles, reset the keyboard (holding ESC then plugging it in).

Hypothesis: Something about MacOS boot does not like the hardware and does not know how to interface with it until the OS is loaded, which is after login.

I tried to get support on this but had a strange conversation with the Corsair CSR. Since they don’t seem to be responding to forum posts to help resolve, I have one more idea I’m going to try before giving up even though I absolutely love the feel of this keyboard.

My thought is, I created 3 hardware profiles using iCUE for PC, even though i use the keyboard mostly on a Mac. Thinking I will instead create the 3 hardware profiles on iCue for Mac and overwrite prior, and see if that does the trick.

Monz, curious if you’re using hardware profiles on Mac or PC, or just using iCUE software without hw profiles?

Thanks

I tried to get support on this but had a strange

Monz, curious if you’re using hardware profiles on Mac or PC, or just using iCUE software without hw profiles?

Thanks

The hardware profiles installed onto the onboard memory through MacOS aren't actually working properly. Not sure why. I've cleared and re-installed the profiles a few times with no luck.

I added HW profiles using PC just fine. To me this makes sense since the iCUE software on MacOS is in beta.

The only profiles that work consistently well on MacOS are the software ones. I can live with that.

However, no combination of efforts fixes the boot login issue.

Monz I didn't know the MacOS version was considered beta.

In any case, I tried resetting again, creating the HW profiles in MacOS instead and transferring to onboard keyboard memory... nothing seem to work in fact the freezing became more frequent. Sadly, as much as I loved typing on that keyboard, I had to return it because it kept locking up. In fairness it was a Certified Refurbished so maybe I got a bad one.

Good luck with yours if it ever resolves please post!

Signed up just to add to this thread. Exact same issue, brand new K70 mk2 on 2018 Macbook Pro running the latest Catalina MacOS. Half the keys work at login, other half don't. Tried plugging it in via a USB hub, via the thunderbolt dock and even directly into the mac via a USB c converter. None work. Problem only present at boot. Locking and unlocking is fine.

Signed up just to add to this thread. Exact same issue, brand new K70 mk2 on 2018 Macbook Pro running the latest Catalina MacOS. Half the keys work at login, other half don't. Tried plugging it in via a USB hub, via the thunderbolt dock and even directly into the mac via a USB c converter. None work. Problem only present at boot. Locking and unlocking is fine.

Interesting thing I've just noticed:

1. Reboot Mac

2. Try to type password at the login prompt, notice most keys don't work on k70 OR inbuilt laptop keyboard, but some do. Most likely they are not even registering the same key as you intend - in my case H acts like Backspace!

3. Unplug K70 - inbuilt keyboard works!

Scenario 1

4. Backspace all the characters out in the password field so it's blank.

5. Plug K70 back in - Notice you are back to step 2 behaviour

Scenario 2

4. Type some characters in using inbuilt keyboard

5. Plug K70 back in - IT WORKS!?!??!!!!

Perplexed..

Edited by fusion07

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, same problem here too. Running a Strafe RGB MK.2 on a Mac Mini where keys aren't working on login screen, pressing H key is treated as a backspace so I unplug the Corsair keyboard, plug in an old Logitech keyboard to log in, then once logged in, plug in Corsair and everything works as expected again. Tried clearing device memory and forced updating firmware for keyboard from iCue but it made no difference. If I leave the Strafe keyboard plugged in with the Logitech keyboard, pressing H on the Logitech also behaves like a backspace until I unplug the Corsair and then H works. It's like there's a modifier key being pressed when the Corsair keyboard is plugged in at startup when typing on the login screen (?)

What's also strange is I have a Nightsword RGB mouse connected and it doesn't work either on the login. If I click the mouse button, the mouse cursor moves horizontally to the right but that's it, nothing else. It too starts working after I log in. So similar to above, I plug in an old mouse to get past the login screen.

Interesting, just saw this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

On that link Control-H is listed as Delete. Maybe this is some kind of issue where on the login screen it thinks the Ctrl key is being pressed even though it's not.

Edited by jarullyon

Finally found a solution: Switch keyboard into BIOS mode.

With the K95 Platinum I have to press and hold F1 and the Lock key (located above F3) for about 3 seconds and then see the keyboard go dark and reboot.

After that I can type my password just fine.

Afterwards I can switch the mode back by doing the same F1 and Lock for 3 seconds.

That same trick works for me too - thanks a lot for posting! :)

I still have to use an old mouse to click on my user to log in but if I put the Strafe keyboard in BIOS mode I can then type in my password. After entering my password and logging in, I turn it with the F1 / Lock, iCue is set to start at login and everything is fine after that.

• 3 weeks later...
My understanding is I'm using the latest version of firmware and iCUE. One thing I'm thinking might related is the the FileVault is enabled in my mac.

My mac version: 10.14.6 (18G3020)

iCUE: 3.25.60

Firmware: 3.21

It's apparently exactly that - FileVault. I somehow got myself into the Reset Password recovery mode in 10.13 and one of the bits of advice reads:

"If you were unable to use your keyboard to type your password, it may not be compatible with FileVault." And there then follows an option to disable FileVault on the boot volume - which works.

I guess the keyboard BIOS mode trick above enforces compatibility.

• 1 month later...

Same problem with the K68. The only way to deal with it is the BIOS mode.

This really is unacceptable. The suggestion to disable FireVault is pretty useless. Corsair should release a firmware update fixing this issue!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I dont think that anyone is interested in working on this issue. This is the answer i got from the tech-support:

Hallo Michael,

Vielen Dank, dass Sie uns kontaktiert haben.

Ich bitte um Entschuldigung für die späte Antwort. Zurzeit haben wir wegen der COVID-19 Situation einen Ticket-Rückstau. Wir antworten jedoch so schnell wie möglich.

Das ist leider eine Mac Betriebssystembeschränkung (FileVault), da nicht nur CORSAIR Tastaturen betroffen sind. Sie sollten sich an Apple Support wenden.

Eine vorübergehende Problemumgehung ist FileVault zu deaktivieren.

Es tut mir wirklich leid, dass ich Ihnen nicht besser helfen konnte.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Vid

CORSAIR Tech Support

###########

English-Version:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.

I apologize for the late reply. We currently have a ticket backlog due to the COVID-19 situation. However, we will reply as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, this is a Mac operating system limitation (FileVault), as not only CORSAIR keyboards are affected. You should contact Apple Support.

A temporary workaround is to disable FileVault.

I am really sorry that I couldn't help you better.

Best regards

Vid

CORSAIR Tech Support

I dont think that anyone is interested in working on this issue. This is the answer i got from the tech-support:

Hallo Michael,

Vielen Dank, dass Sie uns kontaktiert haben.

Ich bitte um Entschuldigung für die späte Antwort. Zurzeit haben wir wegen der COVID-19 Situation einen Ticket-Rückstau. Wir antworten jedoch so schnell wie möglich.

Das ist leider eine Mac Betriebssystembeschränkung (FileVault), da nicht nur CORSAIR Tastaturen betroffen sind. Sie sollten sich an Apple Support wenden.

Eine vorübergehende Problemumgehung ist FileVault zu deaktivieren.

Es tut mir wirklich leid, dass ich Ihnen nicht besser helfen konnte.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Vid

CORSAIR Tech Support

###########

English-Version:

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us.

I apologize for the late reply. We currently have a ticket backlog due to the COVID-19 situation. However, we will reply as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, this is a Mac operating system limitation (FileVault), as not only CORSAIR keyboards are affected. You should contact Apple Support.

A temporary workaround is to disable FileVault.

I am really sorry that I couldn't help you better.

Best regards

Vid

CORSAIR Tech Support

NOTE: I registered onto this forum only because I have this exact same issue.

I took the response you got from CORSAIR's Tech Support to heart, and went into my system settings to find that I didn't have the File Fault on in the first place. I'm having the exact same issue, the difference is that I can get it to work with an annoying workaround. At the login screen, my keyboard is totally dark and doesn't work at all, so I unplug it and plug it back in a couple times and it turns on and lets me use it normally. I don't know if this is considered to be a completely separate issue, I thought it was closely related enough to at the very least discredit the FileVault solution.