Corsair Community

Better fans for H100i GTX - ML120 Pro or SP120 QE?

RatmanGB

Hi,

I had been running ML120 Pros on my H100i GTX but one of them developed a loud rattle. While I was waiting for a replacement to arrive I replaced them both with the SP120 QEs that I was using before.

Before I take things apart again, can anyone comment on which fans are theoretically better for use with the H100i GTX? The ML120 Pros will run faster of course, but at the same RPM which are better?

Thanks!

Strictly in terms of airflow and blade design, the ML series is more of a hybrid blade, in between the classic SP (flat and wide) and AF (steep and thin) designs. The in between is the most efficient at the middle speed most people use and is also versatile, capable of both radiator and quiet case fan duty. The SP has a slightly wider blade and it better when speeds are low or against very high resistance. On the GTX radiator, the ML is going to be slightly better at most middle speeds. The SP might be better at speeds 750 rpm or below, which for most people is just idle with no load. I consider the ML an improvement.

All that said, you don't have enough watts on the Haswell for it to matter. You can run most any fan and the coolant deltas will be similar. I would choose based on your preference, whether its sound, style , or something else. I'll see if I can find a performance graph.

Go all the way to the bottom of the page - last graph. It is a sound vs airflow, so lower is better.

http://thermalbench.com/2016/09/03/corsair-hd120-rgb-led-120-mm-fan/4/