Corsair Community

How to change single key color on keypress?

Hcc

Hi all!

I'm looking for help on how to alternate a single key's color every time it's pressed. I'm using "numpad -" button to enable or disable my microphone on Teamspeak. How should I configure the button so that it changes from color A to color B and vice versa on every time it's pressed?

Set the button to one color and then attach a solid lighting effect thats toggled with key press.

May I ask how exactly is that done? The software isn't too user-friendly :p

May I ask how exactly is that done? The software isn't too user-friendly :p

isn't too user-friendly <- biggest understatement ever.

1. Make a new Profile under Profiles.

2. Go to Profiles -> lighting -> Advance Settings.

3. Click the key you want to add the effect to, and click the little color wheel and add the color you want for on.

4. Right click that key assign new lighting.

5. Make a Gradient lighting effect. To add colors right click in the Intensity area and hit new twice. To change colors right click the little tab.

6. Make sure you select On Key Press for both the Start and End, and disable start with mode.

7. Hit OK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I'm also interested in something similar! I am looking to a keyboard (not necessarely for gaming) programmable to change the color of a certain key when another key is pressed or being kept pressed. But I cannot find anything... There are APIs from brave developers but in my knowledge they do not (directly) provide the functionality I need, e.g. for a Corsair K70 there is this interesting API, https://github.com/saqneo/Rgb , but it seems to me that the author itsleft did not try to catch keyboard events too, as he answer as response to the first comment here: http://shawnquereshi.com/2016/02/programming-the-corsair-k70-rgb-keyboard/).

I am looking to a keyboard (not necessarely for gaming) programmable to change the color of a certain key when another key is pressed or being kept pressed.

See Tutorial: Switching Modes by Modifier Keys and Modifier Key Combos. For CUE 2, use profiles instead of modes. You can define a profile switch on the first key, and in the switched-to profile define lighting to light your other keys.

I have demoed this technique in other posts, where pressing the WinLock key toggles a red color on my Windows keys while they are disabled.

• 2 years later...

The solution here lead me in the right direction but the software has changed.

I don't know if I did it the most efficient way but what I wanted was to select certain keys for certain colors or color-changing pattern.

You do create a new profile.

1) Then you got to LIGHTING EFFECTS and hit the + to add a new lighting effect.

2) The default lighting effect is Spiral Rainbow. I change it to Solid Color.

3) The steps inside a solid color lighting effect are..

a- select keys in the keyboard diagram.. you can click on individual keys.. ctrl-click to add keys.. draw rectangles of keys, etc. to select them

b- pick a color in the color wheel

c- left of the color wheel is a rectangular control area with a plus in the bottom left.. the tool-tip there names it "insert lighting effect"... that is where you will see the color affect the keys you selected

When I am done with a batch of keys I then go back to step 1 and add a new lighting effect.. this time selecting different keys... the stack of lighting effects inside a profile will work together

Good luck.

Trying to do a similar thing, but can't figure it out. I want the key to start purple, turn blue when pressed, then fade back to purple. I can only get it to go from off to on, then fade back to off

You need to add a custom gradient layer. Go to the keyboard lighting effects tab, hit + for a new layer, change it Gradient.

Go ahead and set up your color scheme with the purple-blue-purple dots of whatever hue.

In the bottom right corner, go to "Start" and change to "On Key pressed". Then tick the box underneath about Play on Pressed Key.

For Stop, you like want to change it to "After", which will then generate a new field below. Set to 1 "key press" or you can do release if you like that style.

Final part is to set the lighting timing. This is the linger after press. Default is 1 second, but you can set it to your preference.

This thread is from a few years back and about a million software versions ago. Some things are similar, but if you any questions about how to set up profiles, it is perfectly OK to start a new thread and ask. Most people have the same questions and stumble upon this stuff with internet searches. Might as well get some current hits going.

***If you meant you want the entire keyboard to be purple but turn blue when the key is depressed, that is slightly different. In that case, you would set the entire keyboard to static purple. Add a new layer. This can be a blue gradient (same steps as above with all blue color field) or you can use "type lighting" and set both alternate colors to blue.

Edited by c-attack
  • Confused 1