Corsair Community

Trim not working on Corsair Force drive

icsterm

Well, I've read all over the internet that if someone uses a TRIM enabled drive and Windows 7, it should make data recovery close to impossible.

I've had TRIM enabled on my Windows 7 since i've installed it. Problem is that on my Force F60 drive, when let's say I delete any file, data recovery is still possible. If I delete any pic or txt file(not to Recycle bin), the recovery is still 100%, file doesn't gets corrupted.

Most programs still find more than 100k files that can be recovered, most of them in 'good' shape.

So the question is: is TRIM bugged on this drive or not working at all?

Should I only rely on garbage collection to kick in later on?

PS: yes i've checked that fsutil query for DisableDeleteNotify returns 0. I'm using Intel RST 10.8.0.1003 AHCI driver and not MS AHCI.

Which Force drive do you have? What firmware is it running?

Please fill out your system specs here: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra

Done. It's an 30nm F60GB2 drive running fw 2.0. Updating to 2.4 doesn't work because of 'incorrect fw package error', one of the few unsupported drives( i don't mind, drive is stable for daily use).

Using Win7 x64 sp1 if that counts..

Are you booting the O.S. from this drive and did you right click on the Update application and run as administrator?

Yes, and UAC is disabled also. Account has Administrator rights too.

I'm booting the O.S. from this SSD, i had this SSD on my old laptop and the error was identical. I think it's related to the SN and older batch, users from the forum reported this issue also when using the older Force drives (30nm I think).

• Corsair Employee
That may be the issue with this series you will have to Boot the O.S. from another drive and it will have to be on a controller running AHCI and you have to run the application as an administrator by right clicking on the update application and run as Administrator or the update will fail. Sorry.

That may be the issue with this series you will have to Boot the O.S. from another drive and it will have to be on a controller running AHCI and you have to run the application as an administrator by right clicking on the update application and run as Administrator or the update will fail. Sorry.

Well, my SSD drive is rock stable. No need to upgrade a drive that never crashed in the last year(older fw's had bsod issues). I might upgrade it later on.

I was just curious if in order to test if TRIM is working I need to leave the laptop running in bios menu for a couple of hours or maybe you have other ways of testing this? I've read this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Shortcomings

Does this article apply here?

Please check the stickies at the top there is a sticky on how to check if TRIM is enabled and it will have to be running in AHCI or TRIM may not be enabled.

It's 100% running, AHCI in BIOS enabled, i also installed Intel RST during Windows Install with browse for driver option... So it's not an issue with my Windows instalation.

I never left my Windows idle at login prompt, and also it's an restored copy from am earlier Acronis Image. Should that be the issue?

I'l try let my laptop idle at login prompt for one night and see if that cleans the junk.

google for ssd tweaker 2.x and use advanced -> trim optimisation button, but you need pro version. Or use Anvil storage utilities rc5, it's free, look for the trim command option when you press benchmarks button.

It takes 10 seconds and all the junk is gone. Remaining files in recovery/undelete software are 10x times fewer and can't be recovered successfully in an usable manner.

• Corsair Employee
trim is something the ssd does internally; it's not possible to influence it by software

I am sorry but Trim is a command Issued by the software, now Garbage Collection is internal to the SSD and not influenced by software I think is what you may have meant to say.

Archived