The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 01:16 PM

POST ID # = 1049230
PeiXi Reputation: 10

i found the issue. as suspected related to power savings.

it is amd ryzen power plan. You need to go advanced and turn pci express link state power management to off!

Old 06-08-2020, 03:47 PM
rmtaibo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1049824
rmtaibo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiXi View Post

it is amd ryzen power plan. You need to go advanced and turn pci express link state power management to off!
Wow...
Thx for the info, PeiXi
Someone else could confirm if this solution really fix the issue?
I'm not near of my PC right now...

Old 06-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Istipisti's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1050382
Istipisti Reputation: 10

Quote:

For me, pci express link power management off does not help
Atto benchmark, 550GB used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATTO 06.12.2020.jpg (134.7 KB, 741 views)

Old 06-13-2020, 05:26 AM
Greatli's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1050464
Greatli Reputation: 10

Quote:

This is BS. stop saying it fixes the issue if you don't know if it does.

Okay so.

Above say 50% drive utilization it is SUPPOSED to tank the speed. This is just a fact of life with dynamic SLC caching. Once the SLC cache is small, it has to fold data into the MLC/TLC NAND from the SLC which slows it down a lot. However, I, and a bunch of other people, experience this problem no matter what utilization %, TRIM status, power settings, Chipset Drivers, or motherboard the drives are plugged into.I got an RMA approval from seagate for my Firecuda 520. I'm just sending it back because the problem is not OS software.

If you check the userbenchmark for my drive, the Firecuda 520 500GB, the write speeds and overall score directly correlates with Firmware Version (which the user is unable to update themselves. What you get from the factory you are stuck with).

Least squares linear regression tells me that, like I suspected before, it is the Phison E16 Firmware. Each of the PCIe 4.0 drive manufacturers write their own proprietary controller firmware. Apparently Seagate's version 11 blows monkey balls compared to version 14. This seems to ring true no matter which company make/model 4.0 drive you have. Phison oversees the firmware writing process, but only provides a framework. I'm guessing that the first framework they provided, which is the one I'm stuck with, was ****-tier.

I talked with u/New_Maxx from reddit. He still thinks that the problem is just inherent to all dynamic SLC cache drives, but it can't be 100% true. Under normal circumstances your drive will fill up the entire SLC-Cache (the empty space) on your drive. The space available should be 1/3d the size of your total amount of free space (SLC takes up 3x the space of TLC per byte). My drive is only 10% filled and can't get above 500MB/s (0,5GB/s) write for more than literally 2 seconds directly following a reboot and a drive trim. 500MB/s IS, however, the same exact speed you WOULD get if the SLC cache were full and the drive was folding SLC data into MLC/TLC. Something with their software is bad. With a drive utilization of 10%, I should have 420GB of TLC space, which equates to over 140GB of SLC cache. I should be able to get a sustained write of ~3GB/s for nearly a full minute instead of 2 seconds. Once again, the controller software is to blame. Nothing you do in windows should be able to affect it, unless your problem is that you have high drive utilization (50%+), which is normal. Its b0rked mates.

Will they fix it?
Probably not. The next generation of 4.0 drives are coming out emminently. Samsung's 980 pro will be out within a matter of weeks, along with Phison E18 which is a true PCIe 4.0 controller, unlike E16 which is just a bootstrapped POS PCIe 3.0 controller that they jury rigged into being able to work on 4.0

So don't expect a change unless you RMA.

Last edited by Greatli; 06-13-2020 at 05:41 AM.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:37 AM

POST ID # = 1050553
PeiXi Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatli View Post
This is BS. stop saying it fixes the issue if you don't know if it does.

Okay so.

Above say 50% drive utilization it is SUPPOSED to tank the speed. This is just a fact of life with dynamic SLC caching. Once the SLC cache is small, it has to fold data into the MLC/TLC NAND from the SLC which slows it down a lot. However, I, and a bunch of other people, experience this problem no matter what utilization %, TRIM status, power settings, Chipset Drivers, or motherboard the drives are plugged into.I got an RMA approval from seagate for my Firecuda 520. I'm just sending it back because the problem is not OS software.

If you check the userbenchmark for my drive, the Firecuda 520 500GB, the write speeds and overall score directly correlates with Firmware Version (which the user is unable to update themselves. What you get from the factory you are stuck with).

Least squares linear regression tells me that, like I suspected before, it is the Phison E16 Firmware. Each of the PCIe 4.0 drive manufacturers write their own proprietary controller firmware. Apparently Seagate's version 11 blows monkey balls compared to version 14. This seems to ring true no matter which company make/model 4.0 drive you have. Phison oversees the firmware writing process, but only provides a framework. I'm guessing that the first framework they provided, which is the one I'm stuck with, was ****-tier.

I talked with u/New_Maxx from reddit. He still thinks that the problem is just inherent to all dynamic SLC cache drives, but it can't be 100% true. Under normal circumstances your drive will fill up the entire SLC-Cache (the empty space) on your drive. The space available should be 1/3d the size of your total amount of free space (SLC takes up 3x the space of TLC per byte). My drive is only 10% filled and can't get above 500MB/s (0,5GB/s) write for more than literally 2 seconds directly following a reboot and a drive trim. 500MB/s IS, however, the same exact speed you WOULD get if the SLC cache were full and the drive was folding SLC data into MLC/TLC. Something with their software is bad. With a drive utilization of 10%, I should have 420GB of TLC space, which equates to over 140GB of SLC cache. I should be able to get a sustained write of ~3GB/s for nearly a full minute instead of 2 seconds. Once again, the controller software is to blame. Nothing you do in windows should be able to affect it, unless your problem is that you have high drive utilization (50%+), which is normal. Its b0rked mates.

Will they fix it?
Probably not. The next generation of 4.0 drives are coming out emminently. Samsung's 980 pro will be out within a matter of weeks, along with Phison E18 which is a true PCIe 4.0 controller, unlike E16 which is just a bootstrapped POS PCIe 3.0 controller that they jury rigged into being able to work on 4.0

So don't expect a change unless you RMA.
sounds like you are fishing for a RMA and so disregarding this.

turning of pcie power management works for me in crystal diskmark at 25% fill.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:50 PM
doomsday's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1052532
doomsday Reputation: 10

Well, I hate to say it but my solution was to go back to a PCIe 3.0 drive (ADATA 8200). I would rather get a 100% consistent 3300+ MB/s write than the 1000 MB/s I was getting on my gen 4. The results below are after going 3+ weeks without a trim. Perhaps when the next generation of drive controllers is out Ill look into them again.

SSD.PNG

Old 07-16-2020, 11:52 PM
beardstheticz's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1054272
beardstheticz Reputation: 10

Anyone from corsair care to explain this sudden drastic change?

I was over 50% and on 11.3 in both instances. I also tried the power management suggestions and it did nothing for me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (157.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 07-19-2020, 05:00 AM

POST ID # = 1054492
ALLSTARR Reputation: 10

Hello,

I have 2 installed MP600 ( 1GB) on an X750 mobo.
1 is used for boot with minimal apps installed the second is with games only.With the second drive i have the right read and write specs with the boot drive its the same like u all. Read 4500 write 1008.And this with only 80 GB used of the 1000 ^^
But then this happens (see picture) What i rlly rlly don't understand why,suddenly the write speed is back,and when rebooting or smt it's back to 1000 ?????????

But look at the write speeds from before

Last edited by ALLSTARR; 07-19-2020 at 05:58 AM. Reason: photo not showing

Old 07-24-2020, 01:44 PM
user23982's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1055139
user23982 Reputation: 10

I guess maybe this is something most ppl already tried but, i was close to writing in this thread about my two MP600 that had bad performance.

Im writing to say, try reinstalling windows fresh, take a backup of the old one or whatever, solved it for me, i guess some clunkyness with drivers

Old 07-25-2020, 03:04 PM

POST ID # = 1055249
JohnWayne78 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
I'm back in the office now, sorry for the delay. The results on ATTO are all over the place, which is concerning. Originally, the SSD dev team were thinking that it was just CDM not playing nicely with the new hardware and giving inaccurate readings, though seeing these ATTO results is alarming.

Additionally, now that I've been testing more SSDs that were sent to me, I haven't yet been able to replicate the issues described (though I did see some odd sequential read behavior). I'm kind of at a loss of what it can be, since the units I've received aren't exhibiting the same slowdowns, even after multiple, back to back runs.

Have any of you tried turning write-back caching on and off?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...hing-on-or-off

Running CDM or ATTO as administrator?
install windows + Steams Games...it is not the file size but amount of small files causing the issue

Old 07-27-2020, 01:06 PM

POST ID # = 1055536
nahtE6 Reputation: 10

Any updates on this?
I'm getting bad results.

Old 07-28-2020, 09:08 AM
Be088's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1055635
Be088 Reputation: 10

Did anyone have this problems?
Is my ssd going to die?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dfbfdb.JPG (110.8 KB, 164 views)

Last edited by Be088; 07-29-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:02 PM
rmtaibo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1056044
rmtaibo Reputation: 10

The issue is real

My MP600's write speeds dropped from 4400 MB/sec with 85% available disk space to a disappointing 1837,25 MB/sec with 50% of available disk space