Corsair Community

Instability with STRIX Z390-E GAMING+i9-9900K+Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

Toffypops

Hello all.

Writing here in hopes someone might be able to help.

I have had problems with stability even since the start with my new system.

I get random blue screens referring to IRQ errors, WHEH uncorrectable error, clock watchdog timeout.

My Specs:

Motherboard:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING, S-1151

Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K

Memory (part number): Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 4x8GB CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

Graphics Card #1: POWERCOLOR Radeon HD 7990 6GB

Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 7.1

Monitor: 3x ASUS VG278HE 144Hz

Storage #1: Intel 120GB ssd (system)

Storage #2: Samsung SSD 840 Pro

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Power Supply: MIST 1000W

Keyboard: Microsoft Ergo 4000

Mouse: Logitech G402

Headset: Sennheiser PC 363D

Headset/Speakers: Logitech 5.1

Accessory #1: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB x2 M2.NVM

I ran memtest86 and the first scan gave the following results, with all 4 memory sockets populated:

http://www.bufe.no/img/asus/4x8GB-strixEgaming-fail1.jpg

Then I tested all 4 modules, 1 by 1 in the first DIM socket with 4/4 passes all tests..and there were no errors at all for either module.

Then I ran 1 module in each DIM socket in sequence, to check if maybe the DIM's had faults, but I did not get any errors then either.

Then I rearranged the memory modules and tested again with all 4 modules populated and got the following results.

http://www.bufe.no/img/asus/4x8GB-strixEgaming-fail2.jpg

I am very confused now, as to how the comprehensive testing for each module did not give any errors, yet with all 4 populated it gives errors.

I have tested booting with default settings in bios as well as with AI-Overclock , both with and without XMP profiles enabled, and the machine just does not want to be stable.

CINEBENCHR15.038 crashes randomly, and the Intel Benchmark test software crashes if I stress the memory.

In BIOS i have enabled 4x mode for NVM instead of default 2x and have not populated SATA ports 5 and 6.

My cooler gives me a score of 191 in the auto-clock overview in BIOS, and max temp i have seen was 78 degrees with 5200 overclock on all cores in a CPU stress test with the Intel benchmark utility. The CPU cooler never seem to get hot at all and feels cold to the touch at all times.

So I am starting to wonder if it is the motherboard that is unable to run with all 4 memory slots filled?

The memory i use is a set of 2x8GB with product number: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

https://www.komplett.no/product/893831/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/minnebrikker/corsair-vengeance-lpx-ddr4-3200mhz-16gb#

As far as I know, the modules should be compatible with the motherboard.

Any advise or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bård

Norway

• Corsair Employee

Hello Toffypops,

Unfortunately mixing separate memory kits can cause stability issues, like you're experiencing. Have you tried manually entering the speeds, timings, and voltage? You may need to loosen the timings to maintain stability with two kits installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out it was two of the memory modules that were at fault.

1 module worked without errors at stock speed 2133Mhz non-XMP activated. No errors in memtest86

I tested it with another matching module, which was confirmed working fine in both stock and xmp 3200mhz profile.

Whenever i ran that one module, it would fail with errors in XMP activated speeds.

It also turned out one of the other modules were also bad, and that failed both in stock speeds 2133mhz and xmp-speeds 3200mhz.

It did not matter which modules I paired it with, it just was no good.

So for me the permanent fix was buying a set with 4x 8GB modules

https://www.komplett.no/product/954635/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/minnebrikker/corsair-vengeance-rgb-ddr4-3200mhz-32gb#

These worked perfectly in XMP-3200 dual channel mode. No errors at all.

So....lesson here is, NEVER EVER buy the 2x packs if you plan to upgrade, it is a really really bad decission.

If you ever decide to go 4x later on...swap out ALL the modules in a certified 4x set like the one above. You save yourself a lot of hazzle.

After I started using the new set above, my machine has not crashed once.

...and i can also add that my i9-9900K now is running stable at 5Ghz on all 8 cores with 3200 mhz XMP activated.

Bård

Archived