Corsair Community

Lost my TX750W PSU Cable! :(

Dead Cell

Hello to you all, I just joined and this is my first post.

I bought the Corsair 750TX (non modular) PSU here in the UK a few months ago and recently lost the mains cable after moving homes.

I managed to find a cable which fits the back of the PSU perfectly but when I go to switch on my PC nothing happens! :(:

In the Corsair FAQ's it mentions that one corsair PSU cable may not work on another corsair PSU, so I'm guessing I will need a specific one.

Anybody know where I can buy one or if there is a universal one or something please as I really need this urgently and until I get one, I am left with a lifeless PC! :o:

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

To be honest I don't understand why you can't just use any psu power cable from the mains into the back of the psu, because as far as I know they're all the same!

P.S) I know this may sound stupid but have you checked the fuse in the power cable you found?? You probably have but it might be worth checking again just in case.

Ravenheart

Thanks very much for your reply. That cable which I mentioned before which I tried on the 750TX and it didnt do anything, well I found out earlier that the fuse was blown!

I didnt even hear anything so I didnt realise at the time. I only realised when I connected it back on my Asus P4 HTPC and that wouldn't switch on either!

After channging the fuse, the Asus came to life! So I'm guessing that cable doesnt provide enough power and as a result the fuse blew!

I'm going to send an email as Ram Guy was kind enough to provide. Thanks.

Wired, please do forgive, I will remember that in the future.

Thank you all for the support.

Regards

No problem,

Your welcome.

But I do have some thoughts of my own on this matter.

Firstly I'm glad I mentioned the fuse situation and I'm glad it works on your Asus machine now, but to be honest I don't see that it matters what power supply cable you use as they all get the power from the mains and they all provide the same power to the power supply so I really don't understand why it didn't work as I've used a different psu/kettle lead cable as their also known and all have worked with no issues, maybe the fuse in the cable you used originally wasn't a high enough fuse say if you used a 5 amp fuse as opposed to a 13 amp fuse for example.

Have you tried the cable back in the PC with the Corsair psu in it again to see if it works in that now? Because that would either verify or dispel your theory that the cable doesn't provide enough power to that psu (which I can't honestly believe) as like I have said ALL power supply leads are the same, they all take the power from the mains, in my honest opinion it has to be that your not using the right fuse therefore causing it to blow.

Let us know how you get on :)

There are differences between the power outlet cables, as there are different gauges (e.g. a server one is frickin HUGE). I recall in an old thread RG mentioning the gauge of one of their PSU's power outlet cables when someone requested it.

No idea if it requires the same gauge or it will work with other gauge cables however. Then again I'm lucky I still remember V=IR :)

Ravenheart / Wired

Thank you both for not giving up on me. I was planning on inserting the plug back in the 750TX after I fitted the new fuse last night, but it got late and the little ones use the Asus machine so I didn't want to blow another fuse! My Sony camera's charger now needs a new fuse lol!

Anyway guys, I just got home a little while ago and the first thing I did is pull out the cable from the Asus and inserted in to the 750TX and would you believe it, the bloody thing came back to life! :D

I am now typing this on my gaming machine which is powered by the 750TX but must admit I'm a little worried somethings going to blow! I'm feeling the actual cable to see if it's getting hot but seems cool enough.

I was also baffled by this whole cable thing, I know a thing or two about computers but no expert, especially not when it comes to electronics! I too thought that any cable should work but when the fuse blew I thought I know nothing! Then when you mentioned the whole fuse amp thing it got me thinking again.

My camera's charger had the same 13 amp fuse which the Asus cable originally had (before it blew) so I stuck that in there after it blew when I connected it to the 750. I'm wondering if the Asus cable's fuse had already been blown before I even stuck it on the 750, but that would be weird as me and the little ones have been using the Asus for well over 6 months on a daily basis.

I don't know what to think but either way I'm going to need a new cable and I'm thinking about ordering one from eBay from a trusted seller unless you guys can recommend some decent online reatailers who sell these bleeming things, that would really help me. :o:

Raven, would you by any chance know what would be the recommended fuse amp to use for the 750TX? Anyway I can find out what the original cable used? I'm going to have a look on Corsairs site to see if I can download a user manual or something, but doubt it will mention this.:[pouts:

Anyway guys, the beast is up and running and again I would like to thank you both sincerely for taking out the time to help a me. I really do appreciate it. And man I need to work on my grammar, I feel like a stupid sod!

Cheers

There are differences between the power outlet cables, as there are different gauges (e.g. a server one is frickin HUGE). I recall in an old thread RG mentioning the gauge of one of their PSU's power outlet cables when someone requested it.

No idea if it requires the same gauge or it will work with other gauge cables however. Then again I'm lucky I still remember V=IR :)

Not sure about the different gauges to be honest, but according to 2 different reviews for the TX 750 that Dead Cell is using it either comes with a 14 AWG Cable or a 16 AWG Cable, I've no idea what the AWG stand for though.

This review Hardware Canucks Corsair TX 750 Review says it comes with a 14 AWG psu Cable and this review Icrontics Corsair TX 750 Review says it comes with a 16 AWG psu Cable.

And over on this forum http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177680&highlight=psu+fuse which I frequent on a daily basis, one of the users over there (Tonpal) said the below

"Assuming you are in the UK, on the primary (230V) side of the transformer the current will be:

Current = 650/230 = 2.83 A"

And another user on there (Pookeyhead) said the below

"If you now have a 13A fuse in it, be careful, because that's much higher rated than you need, and it may not blow should a problem require it to do so.

Every PSU lead I've seen has had a 5A fuse in it."

So from what they posted and what seems to be the general concensus, a 5amp fuse should be more than enough and would be the one to use, so credit goes to them for providing this information.

So Dead Cell, I would suggest you head over to that forum and have a read as it may make you a little more knowledgeable (no disrespect intended) and it would probably help you to understand more regarding the different fuses for psu's.

P.S) One more thing, I've just looked at the cable for an XFX 850w Modular power supply and that says on it 10a which means that uses a 10 amp fuse so again I'd definitely say a 5 amp would be enough for the TX 750, if not then you could use a 10amp fuse I suppose as 750 watts is only 100 watts less than an 850 so I wouldn't think it would cause any major issues.

Ravenheart seriously mate you are one hell of a guy! Thank you very much.

Not offended in the least it will be good for me to learn a little about this so very highly appreciated.

I was just browsing for some kettle cables and I came across this http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=1039319&source=froogle in the description it mentions that its suitable for PSU's. Scan are really good and very fast delivery but I will do some more research on that sight you mentioned before I buy anything.

I'm going to log off this PC now since I've got a 13 amp fuse in it and feeling a bit nervous. I honestly can't thank you enough for going to such lengths to help me out.

I will keep you updated RavenHeart. :o:

Kind regards.

Raven I think you are right mate, I just found this user manual here http://www.retrevo.com/support/Corsair-TX750W-manual/id/23285ag521/t/2/

On page 5 it shows a table regarding the power requirements etc and it mentions this:

INPUT CURRENT: 5-10A

So I'm guessing that means between 5 to 10 amps. :D:

Man I can't keep up with you, you are replying quicker than I can even update lol. :eek:

Cheers mate I'm out of here and will order some fuses and a kettle plug tomorrow, and will browse that site you mentioned on my phone in bed :D

You take care mate and enjoy the rest of the night what's left of it.

Ravenheart seriously mate you are one hell of a guy! Thank you very much.

Not offended in the least it will be good for me to learn a little about this so very highly appreciated.

I was just browsing for some kettle cables and I came across this http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductID=1039319&source=froogle in the description it mentions that its suitable for PSU's. Scan are really good and very fast delivery but I will do some more research on that sight you mentioned before I buy anything.

I'm going to log off this PC now since I've got a 13 amp fuse in it and feeling a bit nervous. I honestly can't thank you enough for going to such lengths to help me out.

I will keep you updated RavenHeart. :o:

Kind regards.

I'm okay I suppose, I just wanted to pass on the information I knew and what others have provided to try and help you out.

And if that cable over at SCAN says it's suitable for psu's then I'd just go ahead and buy it but it would cost you more for delivery than it would for the actual power supply so if I were you I'd find a local computer shop that sells them that are for use with power supplies first because seriously I wouldn't pay £1.71 for a cable then double that on the delivery charge.

Unless you head over to AVForums sign up there http://www.avforums.com/forums/scan_offer.php because if you sign up there you can get FREE delivery over at SCAN for ALL orders totalling £20 excluding VAT which can save you a few quid, I know it says you must have a minimum order value of £75 excluding VAT and 20 posts but from other sources I read it said the minimum order value is £20 excluding VAT and I've used it quite a bit recently and I got the free delivery (free next day delivery might I add!!) after spending £20 excluding VAT on all the orders I've placed after signing up to AVForums and I haven't posted 20 times on there yet!

I will contact SCAN about this though just to clarify and post back here tomorrow if they've got back to me.

P.S) You enjoy the rest of your night as well mate, cya later.

Archived