Corsair Community

DDR 4 high latencies

Ahtlon

I was looking for some nice Dominator platinum DDR 4 ram to complete my RVE, but why does these Corsair ram have higher latencies as other brands, I saw that other brands, have like 15-15-15-35 with the 2800 and 3000 mhz ram. I always had Corsair ram, but now I am thinking twice if I should buy the Corsair ram. The price I don't care, but the speed and latencies I do care.

I was looking for some nice Dominator platinum DDR 4 ram to complete my RVE, but why does these Corsair ram have higher latencies as other brands, I saw that other brands, have like 15-15-15-35 with the 2800 and 3000 mhz ram.

Could be other type of IC used or a less aggressive binning scheme. Its hard to say really. The actual performance difference between 15-17-17 and 15-15-15 with four modules @ x99 is probably negligible though, since there is so much bandwidth available to begin with.

I don't know if G.Skilll improved their RAM with DDR4, but with DDR3 these were the worst RAM ever.

That does not hold up to my personal and business experience. Corsair and G.Skill are at the very top of our sales charts and on the bottom of our RMA statistics. We had quite some DOA returns of products from a different manufacturer, but i will obviously not call out anyone here.

CMD16GX3M4A2666C10 and F3-2666C10D-8GTXD are some of my most used kits for benching and according to HWBOT i am not the only one at that.

Most of the boards I and my friend had, 4 different kits never worked on at least 1333MHz with i5 4670k.

What boards, what kits?

@emissary

This was our problem, maybe on other occassions these would work, minding the fact we had OC'ed i5 to 4.2GHz.

Ripjaws Series 2x4Gb 1600MHz, GSkill RipjawsX 1x4Gb 1600MHz, GSkill Value 2x8Gb 1333MHz and GSkill Ripjaws 4x4Gb 1600Mhz (all matched kits). Regarding boards: too many. Mostly MSI 4 of them, 2xASUS and I think another was 1xASRock mobo. None worked fine. Some booted fine, and after 5-21h of Memtest it suddenly crashed (on ASRock and ASUS). MSI didn't want to work at all. Can't remember boards' models as I've sold all of them and refunded all GSkill RAM.

PS: I try to test RAM for at least 72h. Corsair, Crucial and HyperX worked fine with all of them, so proved that chip and motherboards were fine. Just GSkill. But it's my opinion and our (mine and friend's) tests, so I can't say they're actually bad. Maybe different chip or motherboard model would work fine. Not for us though. I am left only with MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, i5 4670 non K (if it would be K, it'll be burnt already :D ) and Corsair 4x4Gb 1600Mhz Vengeance Pro RAM running at 2133MHz (not matched kit. 2 kits of 2x4Gb in fact). Passed my 72h test. Out of CPU specs I know, but honestly: Corsair and Crucial are my favourite RAM brands and at least for me: most stable.

Since we are way off track for the original topic of this thread, i will make this short: From our statistics both F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL and F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL have RMA rates of under 1% for more than 1K kits sold, similar to those of all the Corsair memory we ever sold*. A lot of those were part in preconfigured systems using mostly ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte mainboards.

*with the exception of Elpida Hyper and some newer Elpida based kits (but i don't blame Corsair for that)

Archived