Corsair Community

Replacement AX760 Faulty - Not gonna RMA again (what are the chances)

Inque

So I originally got the AX750 for my new gaming machine (see specs below).

After installing everything, it powers up and works fine. I left it on overnight (about 6hrs) to download some of my games.

I woke up to the computer off. I though "ok its in sleep mode or something". Tapped the keyboard and power button. Nothing.

Opened up the case and MB LED shows its getting power.

After numerous tests, I do the paper clip test on the PSU, it powers up. I click it off and test it again 5 secs later and test again. The PSU wont power up.

I get an old PSU I have and test the system. It powers up. I then plug in the AX750. No power. I keep tapping the power button till it does power on but as soon as I power off, It won't power back on. :mad:

Took to the forums to see if people had similar problems and saw similar issues.

So I RMA it, get approval and wait a couple weeks for replacement (I had to call customer support since they took forever to answer a ticket)

So they sent me the new AX760 to replace the AX750, so I'm thinking "new model, shouldn't have any problems right?"

WRONG - Installed AX760, It powers up. I do a little surfing then I remember the problem I was having with the old AX750, so I power down. I wait a bit then power up. YAY it powers up. I'm thinking "Ok RMA cost me a bunch (I'm not in the US, but in the Caribbean), but atleast it works."

So I proceed to set my game updates from Origin Client and I head to bed.

I wake up this morning and its off again and YEP it won't power on (it literally killed my good morning buzz). So running this PSU for more than 6hrs and it fails. The thing isn't even more than 8hrs old and it fails :(:

I haven't had time to do tests again - but if its the same symptoms as before, I'm going to switch to another brand. I felt like I've been robbed - RMA is just too costly for me and I doubt I'll get a full refund.

Heres a thread I read with exact problem

Update #1: Got back home from work, hit power button, no joy. Switched off PSU off and back on. Hit power button. It boots.

Went str8 for the Event viewer to see when it shutdown and the logs show the PC was on for approx 3hrs before it unexpectedly shutdown. So I'll play some heavy GPU games and see if it shutsdown on me before I unplug everything to test.

ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K

EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked

Samsung 128GB SSD

Western Digital 1 TB SATA III HD

Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Steelseries Black Ops 2 Mouse

Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

Update #2:

I'm happy to report after a week of reboots and long power usage, it seems that the replacement AX760 is working normal. I still don't know what cause the inital cold boot fail event, but it works normal even under load of gaming (Crysis 3, PlanetSide 2)

My faith in Corsair is restored.

• 1 year later...

Update #3:

So a month now I've been having the old problems with the new AX760 (see thread for installation date).

Computer shuts down unexpectedly and won't power on until I switch off the PSU and switch it back on.

Now a couple days ago the computer powers down while using MS Word. Switching off the PSU and back on doesn't work. I open up the case, unplug everything to do the paper clip test. Paper clip test fail.

Anyone knows what the warranty on the AX760 is?

I swore I wouldn't RMA again but I'm thinking 3rd time is the charm (RMA unit lasted 1 year approx)

• Corsair Employee

Two completely different PSUs from two different manufacturers (AX is Seasonic built and AXi is Flextronics) and you're having similar problems?

Sounds like it might be something else.

So the paper clip test fails? What are you using to check to see if the PSU is energizing? Do you have a fan plugged in (since the AXi is fanless under low loads) or DMM? What about the self test (remember to have the 24-pin disconnected)?

To answer your question: The AX and AXi have seven year warranties.

Thanks for your insight jonnyguru.

I don't have the AXi but the AX.

I bought an AX750, got it RMA and got an AX760 and now that one has failed after a year.

System specs remain the same.

ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3770K

EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked

Samsung 128GB SSD

Western Digital 1 TB SATA III HD

Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Steelseries Black Ops 2 Mouse

Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

I unplugged everything for the paper clip test except for a molex that is connected to a case fan as required.

I cannot do the self test since I'm running the plain AX760 and not the AX760i

I will see what support will tell me since its still under warranty.

Archived