Corsair Community

LINK depreciation in Corsair ONE?

RC_ONE

Is there a plan to depreciate the necessity for LINK to manage system cooling in the future?

I'm asking because if a bug in LINK or a Windows Update conflict with it causes LINK to not function or load as expected, or some other conflict occurs, our systems could easily be damaged while under load while gaming or rendering video, or other CPU and GPU intensive tasks.

LINK is also not available for Linux, but that's not how the Corsair ONE is sold, so while it's an issue, it's not my immediate concern, but it is a consideration.

The necessity of LINK however is a concern if a problem with the app/service itself results in damage to our Corsair ONEs.

So, I'm wondering if there's a plan to implement system cooling management for the Corsair ONE line in a manner that doesn't rely on a Windows system service or app?

(System BIOS? Additional component?...etc)

I’m curious about this too. I’d hate for my system to become unusable because of a software malfunction, or lack of updates.

On a separate, related note: could you look into open sourcing LINK? It would allow us to attempt to build a version for other operating systems ourselves, and create updates if the Corsair ONE gets deprecated in the (hopefully far and distant) future. That would be the next best thing for me.

Right after I bought the system I installed windows from scratch (i.e. not a system reset but my own win 10 pro iso) and ran a bunch of benchmarks and games in the first couple of days without having Link installed. I don't recall any system overheat issues. Temps were on par with what I got after installing Link (I think I decided to install it after reading one of RC_ONE's older post).

So I'm not sure this software is that critical. Any links to more details about Link being a must install?

Right after I bought the system I installed windows from scratch (i.e. not a system reset but my own win 10 pro iso) and ran a bunch of benchmarks and games in the first couple of days without having Link installed. I don't recall any system overheat issues. Temps were on par with what I got after installing Link (I think I decided to install it after reading one of RC_ONE's older post).

So I'm not sure this software is that critical. Any links to more details about Link being a must install?

Yes, Link is a must install for the Corsair ONE line to manage fan response to system heat. There have been a few references to it, but the clearest one I can remember offhand was in response to a Linux system overheating under load, which turned out to be due to Link not operating under Linux (not being installed for same reason). I'll quote the reply below. The direct link is here: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=922829&postcount=3

Corsair One is not designed to operate under non-Windows operating systems without the Corsair Link software. The Link software is needed to balance the fan against the CPU and GPU temperatures, and unfortunately we have no plans to add Linux support at this time. If you run in Linux, you do so at your own risk.

Also note, from a comment by a Corsair rep in the Link software sub-forum, there's a unique version of Link for our Corsair ONE's which the MSI Live Update 6 software automatically downloads for us. It's tailored for the Corsair ONE line and isn't configured the same way as the generic Link software for non-Corsair ONE systems.

Whether or not the generic Link software download automatically recognizes it's installed on a Corsair ONE and adjusts accordingly is something I don't know.

• Corsair Employee

Hopefully I can answer a few questions.

I would agree that the current implementation - that LINK is necessary for Corsair One to operate - is not ideal. I'm not a fan of it, nobody internally is, but there was a certain point during development where time-to-market became critical and we went with this design. Current and near future Corsair Ones are always going to need LINK to operate ideally; this is an issue that needs to be solved at the hardware level. We are exploring options for the future, but this is pretty far down the line.

The two branches of LINK software have actually had their hardware checks removed. The reason?

If you install LINK for One on a normal desktop, it won't really do anything.

If you install non-One LINK on a One, it won't really do anything.

Hopefully I can answer a few questions.

I would agree that the current implementation - that LINK is necessary for Corsair One to operate - is not ideal. I'm not a fan of it, nobody internally is, but there was a certain point during development where time-to-market became critical and we went with this design. Current and near future Corsair Ones are always going to need LINK to operate ideally; this is an issue that needs to be solved at the hardware level. We are exploring options for the future, but this is pretty far down the line.

The two branches of LINK software have actually had their hardware checks removed. The reason?

If you install LINK for One on a normal desktop, it won't really do anything.

If you install non-One LINK on a One, it won't really do anything.

Thanks for the info Dustin.

I highly encourage Corsair to extend C1 warranties to at least 4 years.

And, set up an on-system way to reinforce the message of how critically important Link is to C1 owners.

Archived